Bad
Good

The principal is exceptional, but their are too many kids. They have a handful of very poor teachers. Though the lesson plans are good, the teachers don't seem to care about the students. Complaints are treated with a everything-will- be- fine condescension. Bullying is supposed to not be tolerated, but it happens constantly. The teachers who do care fight for resources. The rest of the teachers are great, but this handful makes the whole school look ineffective. My child has begged me to homeschool her and she is a social butterfly.

The SGC concept scared me to death knowing my children would be going from a single classroom to a team teaching "big school". How wrong I was. I have 3 boys who all attended the D6GC and each had their own special set of circumstances that made me think they would not flourish in the school. Instead, it was the most successful school year each one of my 3 boys experienced. Teachers and staff cared about my kids. I had one son with learning issues (now 21), and he LOVED school and learned more that year than he had in the two years prior. Second son had anxiety issues and every day the principal would come to my car and gently usher my child in. The principal met with my son's team of teachers to make sure the school did all in their power to make school seem safe and pleasant. By second semester my child joyfully walked in the door every day by himself. My third child is the kind of student who I thought would find trouble around every corner, but instead his teachers embraced his life and natural leadership and we didn't have a single issue all year long. All 3 excelled academically and I attribute that to teachers who work together in teams to ensure student success.

Amazing principal! A great experience for those awkward pre -teen years. All schools are united in 6th grade. It is great for the students. They also have an excellent music program....top notch! Derby 6th grade center...the place to be!

The Derby Sixth Grade Center is by far my favorite school EVER. This school environment is perfect for military kids. Sixth graders from all over our district come together in one school for sixth grade so it is the perfect situation for new or newish military kids to integrate into this learning environment. Jeff Smith is the principal, and he is involved with the students and teachers, AND he listens to parents! I am such a fan of his. My two oldest boys have been on the Aviator team last year and this year. I can't say enough about how wonderful these teachers are. Ms Phipps is the best English Teacher, Mr Richardson is an amazing Social Studies teacher and Ms. Greenup makes Math fun (even though she loves the Broncos...We forgive her because she also loves Bon Jovi!) Ms Versteeg is wonderful about sending information home to parents and keeping us in the loop that our adorable middle schoolers forget that we need to be informed about. The Sixth Grade Center also has an amazing Choir. Students are introduced to community service programs there and are taught to be responsible in preparation for their move into Middle School. It is a wonderful school!!!

this is one of the best schools i have been in.everyone is so nice to me i just love it there.

I believe this is a great school. My son has only been going there for two months now. A little rocky start trying to adjust from being led to leading himself, but very good for him to learn. I've called about struggles, only for them to be immediately addressed. For example, his shyness affects him asking questions, and they reach out and help him and watch for him. Wonderful, caring people...great principal.

Excellent school psychologist and social worker who helped by child by placing him in a smaller setting off campus.

Last modified Derby Sixth Grade Center is a Public school that serves grade 6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.