Bad
Good

Lansing Middle 6-8 1

Posted April 16, 2014
This school is great if you are looking for the typical, only-teach-curriculum school. My child has not experienced a fun project that is hands on. The gifted teacher helps the kids out wonderfully. He's a great teacher. However, Lansing does not help gifted kids at all. They offer no advanced classes within grade level whatsoever. My child has not been helped by any administrator to adjust to advanced classes. The principal seems to disregard any special needs of gifted students, and he has spoken rudely to me about my children being in the gifted program. When our family moved here, my kids had previously been in a gifted program, yet Lansing required my kids to undergo many tests and they were not placed into the program until halfway through our second year attending this school. Again, this school is great if your kids are right on grade level, but I feel like my kids have been robbed of many excellent opportunities due to Lansing Middle School. They are disorganized and the only pleasant office worker is Mrs. Crisp. I wouldn't advise anyone looking for a fun school who challenges their children to go to Lansing.

Posted August 15, 2013
I have had two children of mine go to this school, my oldest, which is my daughter, and my youngest, who is a boy. They have both been here since the third grade, and the Lansing community has always been very welcoming to us. This community is a very close knit one, and one that you don't want to just spend a year here, with such a splendid community. They introduced a peer leader system, which helped my daughter when she was going trough a rough patch in her life get through it, and also taught her various life skills from it. Thanks for the person that made that happen! Lansing was a much more welcoming community than any other one that i have lived in, with exceptional staff, and creating years that will always be remembered. This school manages to have fun, while learning a great amount. Lansing schools are great!

Posted June 17, 2013
I love this school! I enjoyed my time here, though I am moving. The teachers are great, very friendly and only wish to help the students excel! The kids are very welcoming ( I have been there since second grade! ) and are eager to make the 'new kid' feel at home. Students are nice to everyone. No matter how smart/dumb, ugly/pretty, etc. you are, everybody gets along quite well. Test scores are amazing and we have received the standard of excellence each year! The school is also extremely involved in sports. I will really miss this school and everybody in it.

Posted May 04, 2012
My two children have attended LMS this school year. I have found the school to go above and beyond! We are a military family and are only here for the year, I wish we could stay so my son could continue onto 8th Grade. He has an IEP and is under the supervision of Ms Kranhold who is the most wonderful woman and has worked with my son like no other, I will truly miss all she does for him. My daughter will be going into the 9th Grade and I believe she has excelled at LMS also, and is ready for the transition into High School. The office staff are fantastic and on top of things and I also have to get a big thank you out to Ms Haag, my son's language arts teacher she is also an asset to the school. I truely can't say enough good things about this school. We bought a house here in Lansing and absolutely love the neighborhood, very family friendly!

Posted August 10, 2011
This is my 2nd year at LMS and it is fabulous. The students and kids are all very nice and friendly. Great oppertunities for kids who are in to things other than sports. They just go above and beyond.

Lansing Middle 6-8 4

Posted February 09, 2011
This is our child's first year in 6th grade at LMS & the 6th grade teachers are good, especially the social studies teacher, the front office staff is nice also. However, I don't think the school or community do a very good job of welcoming the new families & helping them to transition; they don't realize how hard it is for military children to move around so much or they just don't care. At school registration I was taken aback by the unfriendliness of many people working there, they weren't very helpful-it made me not want to volunteer for the Lansing PTA! There's not enough extracurricular activities offered for LMS students, & no sports for 6th graders. The Lansing Parks & Rec is a joke and very discriminatory against non-local Lansing kids. We have decided against staying in Lansing & will move to another school district. Though the academics seem fine, that's not the only benchmark for us in choosing a school. Academics + the community matter, and we sadly don't like the Lansing community. I want more extracurricular, impressive clubs & educational options. Basically the Lansing schools are pretty good, with a few exceptions, however the community has ruined it for us.

Lansing Middle 6-8 4

Posted October 16, 2008
This school is great for teachingyour children but I have a concern about the vice-principle. Several times my son has told me of kids going to him about bullying, yet he did nothing, only to later have the principle step in and take care of things. He shouldn't have to be responsible for all of the discipline.

Posted June 24, 2008
Great school!!!! Both of my kids loved it there. Teachers and staff are very helpful. Teachers really care about the education your child is receiving. My son was very ill and miss over two weeks of school. The teachers were so concerned they called us at home, worried about all the work he was going to have to make up. They were very helpful in working on a time line to get the homework done while still doing his regualar classwork and not tiring him out.

Posted April 09, 2008
This is a fantastic school that offers opportunities to all students without discrimination regarding race, social status and the likes. The programs offered are impressive and the enviroment is safe, the administration are very helpful and welcoming. If I could change one thing about the school it would just be the ability to think outside the box and allow a litle more creativity among the students, simply because my children previously attended a private school overseas and had a very liberal, creative learning enviroment--that came at a very high tuition too. I found Lansing Middle School to be an awesome surprise and a great learning enviroment for my 8th grader. As a military mom, the school made our move and the transition alot easier and has made us feel right at home in Kansas.

Lansing Middle 6-8

Posted October 19, 2007
Lansing Middle School is above and beyond the best choice for schools in the country. They deserve regonition for all their efforts to embrace a teaching philosphy that helps students excel; it's too bad that the rest of the country as a whole is failing our kids. Most of our schools are failing becuase he we the imagination and experience from teachers and administrators; lansing has these qualities in abundance. I give this school my highest rating.

Lansing Middle 6-8
509 West Ida St, Lansing, KS  66043
Last modified Lansing Middle 6-8 is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.