Manhattan, KS

Amanda Arnold Elementary School 3

Posted August 20, 2013
We are a military family and have lived all over the United States. Amanda Arnold was average in comparison with the schools our children have attended. The PTO is amazing and there are some amazing teachers at this school. I would have liked to have seen more technology and a more active administration.

Posted December 15, 2012
I bought a very expensive house specifically to live in the Amanda Arnold school district. I was told that it was the best school in Manhattan and that the education was top notch. This is not correct. The school eliminated any secondary language teaching because the math scores were so low. My third graders teacher does not email nor communicate any of the issues she is having and the school does not send home notes when my child misbehaves. My other child was part of a gifted school but was not "good enough" for the Kansas system until they recognized that the majority of what they were teaching for the entire year was review from our previous school district. Overall there are some great teachers in this school but I am grossly diasppointed in the performance of others and do not feel that tenure should allow someone who obviously doesn't have passion for teaching to remain on staff. This school system seems to be very behind other school systems and while parents claim A.Arnold is the best, after doing some digging I found that it is ranked in the bottom third of the state. I am heartbroken by the effects of this school on one of my children in particular, can't wait to move.

Posted April 19, 2012
We have been at Amanda Arnold for 4 years now. My daughter started kindergarten here. We LOVE this school. The teachers are wonderful and the staff is amazing. We are military and Amanda Arnold is very supportive of military families. They have a wonderful military group program which has helped my daughter through several deployments. Every parent is encouraged to join the PTO and all new ideas are welcomed. They have great advanced programs and also great programs for children who are struggling academically. Amanda Arnold have good leadership and a principal who is available anytime and is always willing to work with any situation. My daughter is very sad that we have to leave this school and so am I. It will be hard to find a school comparable to Amanda Arnold.

Amanda Arnold Elementary School 4

Posted March 10, 2012
We've been at Amanda Arnold for 3 years now and love it here. My son loves to go to school. Not much bullying and great teachers. PTO and parental involvement is amazing at this school. They work great with average and above average kids. They also have a great military kids lunch group and the counselor offers individual support when requested. This school has been a very positive experience for this military family.

Posted October 05, 2011
If your children is average, then this is a great school. If your child is gifted they will refuse to advance your child because keeping them at grade level increases their state scores. If you are moving from a different area, beware - this school will not honor advanced placement from other schools even though they are part in the military child interstate compact. My son started kindergarten reading at a second grade level and doing basic math. They made him stay in kindergarten. The next year he attended a virtual academy and was given advanced placement into second grade. When I tried to enroll him back in Amanda Arnold the next year for third grade they said he would have to repeat second grade based on his age, regardless of his standardized test scores. I spent to whole summer fighting with the superintendents office and got no where. We bought our house in this district because it was the best in the area; it was the biggest mistake I could have made. If your child loves school and excels then take them anywhere but here.

Posted August 28, 2011
Amanda Arnold is a great school with many challenges for students of all ages. It allows kids to go to advanced subjects and skip grades, a rarity most schools don't have!

Posted May 27, 2011
While I would consider this school to be decent in academics, the support for the children, particularly military children, is horrifically absent. I would say this is due to teachers, but more than that, this is due to lack of leadership from the principal. Unless parents have a historical or monetary relationship with Amanda Arnold, they are not only unheard, but also encouraged to remain in the background. Bullying is a major issue. And parental voice, especially military parental voices, are not welcomed. I personally cannot wait to leave this school. When your child comes home to say, "When can we move?" clearly there is an issue in validation, awareness, and individual care toward students. I would be hard pressed to recommend Amanda Arnold to anyone.

Amanda Arnold Elementary School 3

Posted March 01, 2011
I recently moved to Manhattan & choose the area I lived in for the school. Amanda Arnold is a good school as far as education goes. It's not a very welcoming school, Lot of bullying. Locals say that all the schools in Manhattan are good and I agree.

Posted February 06, 2009

Amanda Arnold Elementary School 2

Posted May 10, 2008

Amanda Arnold Elementary School
1435 Hudson, Manhattan, KS  66503
(785) 587-2020
Last modified Amanda Arnold Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Amanda Arnold Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top