Bad
Good

Love this school and this district! We moved here a few years ago and have been nothing short of thrilled with our experience here.

When we moved to Kansas 7 years ago, we chose Sunnyside because the great reviews at this web site. Choosing Sunnyside Elementary, has been the best decision ever!!! Mr. Kearney, the principal and all the school staff, secretaries, teachers, librarian, nurse, are AWSOME!!! The school staff always have very cool programs to involve and encourage the kids. The communication between teachers and parents is great. The parents involvement is very important at this school, there are many activities run by volunteers. The experience my kids have at Sunnyside has been great, I feel very thankful and happy to be part of Sunnyside Elementary. Thanks.

I wholeheartedly agree with most of the previous comments and couldn't ask for a better learning environment for my 3 kids currently attending the school. Although each parent's experience is naturally different, I disagree with the overall impression of the comments dated Oct. 31, 2012. I currently have 3 students attending the school (K through 3rd grade) and have had direct interaction with both some the teachers and the principal, Mr. Kearney. One of my children has been on an IEP since first attending the school in Kindergarten and I had some pre-conceived notions about the school's motives as it related to funding and children with special learning requirements. After directly questioning Mr. Kearney and some of the teachers about my concerns, Mr. Kearney forcefully and eloquently dispelled my concerns. Any notions that the principal of Sunnyside spends too much time catering to the parents or that he isn't a good principal are simply false. On the contrary, parental involvement is a good thing at any elementary school and Mr. Kearney actively encourages parental involvement, questions and new ideas. I and more importantly my kids think Sunnyside is great.

Great school with dedicated teachers and principal. Parents are always welcome to be involved. My kids love Sunnyside and that says it all.

I have had 2 children go through this school. While the education was great the atmosphere at this elementary school is unlike any other I have even seen. This really should be referred to as a "Military School". Students are not allowed to talk, they are segregated and humiliated if they make the slightest mistake in judgement. Recess is a joke for the kids - so many rules and restrictions - they should just cancel it. Then there is Mr. David Kearney the principal. For the most part he is a nice man, the problem is he spends so much time being a friend to everyone he has forgotten how to be a Principal. The teachers and parents are the real rulers of the roost at this school not the principal. He has absolutely no spine and and cannot stand up for himself or say no to a parent or teacher. Parent involvement - all I can say is wow! This school cannot function without the help of the parents. The parents make almost all of the decisions for this school and if your not in the "CLUB" you are outcasted. I have seen parents test students, grade papers and have conversations with teachers about other students and their academics. I do not recommend this school because of staff.

I am soooooo glad we moved here and get to experience this phenomenal school! I have minor complaints about some teachers, but I think that personalities will collide no matter where you go. I wouldn't dream of leaving this school and can't wait for my toddler to get to go there! Well, I can wait... I want her to be a baby forever, of course. But you know what I mean!

It's dificult to imagine that there could be an elementary school w/ more support of its students than Sunnyside! The principal,teachers, and support staff are beyond welcoming to students and their families. Just one example: there is a room specificaly for parent volunteers that includes a tv/vcr w/ videos so younger siblings can tag along while mom works on things for the teacher. The principal loves these kids and is so welcoming to the parents. There are so many opportunities for involvement and for the kids to feel pride in their school. I would never entertain moving outside of Sunnyside's boundaries while I have elementary school aged children. The school is not as big now that Madison Place has opened, but even when we had 800 students, my oldest child had just 20 kids in her class.

Sunnyside Elementry is a wonderful school and the Principal Mr. Kerney makes it wonderful! I have had experience in SM School district and BV School District. I would highly recommend Olathe Schools to anyone! My son has been at Sunnyside for 2 years now and my only complaint is Its overcrowded! Madison Place is opening this year but we need 2 or 3 new schools. I had a wonderful experience last year. I couldn't of asked for a better teacher! Thank You!

We had a bad experience at Sunnyside. The classrooms are overcrowded and there are too many classes of each grade. There are too many kids for the teachers to stay in control. The principal is great. He knew my son by name. He stays out and ensures all children are safe during drop-off and pick-up. He covers them with umbrellas when raining. He communicates well with the children and my son really liked him. The teachers are good. I did not ever meet one I didn't like. Teacher/parent communication is good and they have a lot of activities for the kids to get involved in. The size is just too big and bullying occurs with no consequence to the bullying kids' actions. The teachers don't know it occurs so frequently because there is no communication between teachers during lunch or recess.

The principal and his staff have done an outstanding job with the whole overcrowding issue. I wonder how even greater this school will be once Madison Place opens. The entire schools staff should be proud regarding the testing results considering they had a tougher challenge than other schools in the district ie. student vs. teacher ratio. Thank you Sunnyside.

Last modified Sunnyside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.