Heatherstone Elementary School 3

Posted April 23, 2014
I like this school, but I'm mad mad. The rules at lunch are getting to out of control. Come on!! Girls have the opportunity to sit next to each other. Boys don't!!!

Posted November 04, 2012
this was my elementary school and I attended as the first 2nd grade class. This school was everything expected out of a learning enviroment! I remember everything being new and updated (computer lab which was a huge deal in the 90s). The playground was pretty amazing as well (pre-ramp era). The teachers were focused and the learning system was oriented to include each student. Currently I am a a social worker who works with students with special needs and I model a lot of my personal curriculum off of how the teachers taught the integrated special needs individuals at this school and other schools within the Olathe District. The neighborhood (at least in the 90s) was very calm, quiet and family oriented. I could walk or bike from my home in Woodbrook to Heatherstone with no problems. The extensive busing routes were also well regulated and ideal. If I had the choice to return to Olathe, I would have my children attend this and other area schools.

Posted December 04, 2010
My son is autistic and started preschool at Heatherstone at the age of 3 as part of an integrated setting with normal-developing peers and we have been amazed with his progress. His preschool teacher [Meyers] and kindergarten teacher [Apollo] have both done a wonderful job as have their classroom assistants. It is hard to imagine a better environment for learning.

Posted January 14, 2009
My daughter attends Heatherstone adnd we have had a great experience from the class teacher to extra curricular teachers as well.When there was a problem, it was given immediate attention and handled! I would suggest this school to anyone looking for great leadership for their child!

Posted November 19, 2007
I am a teacher who works at Heatherstone. I have worked in 3 other districts during my career, and Heatherstone is the most awesome school to work in. The staff are truly committed to the achievement of the students, and as I am in special education, I see first hand how teachers embrace children who learn differently. I feel very fortunate to work in a school with such caring individuals. The parental involvement is awesome...without our parents, we could not do the job that we do. Our principal, although new this year, is truly an advocate for children, and will do what is necessary for them to be successful. I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful school and district!

Posted October 17, 2007

Posted November 01, 2006
I have a daughter in Pre-K at Heatherstone & she is my only child. I was very worried about what school to place her in. To my surprise, the staff was very reassuring and welcomed me to visit any time and took the time to explain the cirriculum. My daughter loves her teachers and has learned so much in Ms. Meyer's class. She looks forward to school everyday. If my little girl is happy so am I! She always tells me how much fun she has and that is awesome for me to hear. My child is very vocal so she would tell me if something did not settle well with her. She is a smart girl for her age. I am happy she is at Heatherstone. I wouldn't have her anywhere else.

Heatherstone Elementary School 3

Posted October 09, 2006
Heatherstone is a great school if one of your primary concerns is how everything will 'look' for your child. Some of the teachers are excellent and are the best I have seen. Some are not. The principle looks bored most of the time, and is absolutely not approachable to students or teachers without feeling like you are wasting his time. Unless it's positive, the administration does NOT want to hear from you. Special services take an EXTREMELY long time to get going, leaving some students to just float around on their own for months before the school gets services into place. They talk a great talk of what they will do for your child, but then do not follow through, and have poor excuses as to why. Look around carefully before putting a student with any sort of special needs into this school. Bullies are present and not dealt with either.

Posted August 10, 2005
- a former student
I'm a former student at Heatherstone. I think it's a great school. The principal leadership was great. I had a lot of really good teachers. There were a lot of parents that got involved in the school. And the staff did whatever they could to provide a safe environment. I think this is a great school.

Heatherstone Elementary School
13745 West 123rd, Olathe, KS  66062
Last modified Heatherstone Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Heatherstone Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top