Olathe, KS

Briarwood Elementary School 1

Posted November 10, 2013
My child is in their first year of pre-school.. we had a substitute the first part of the year, and my child loved going to school, it's only been one day and my child is talking about how mean the teacher is, and how the teacher snaps at them.. I've heard already so much from parents who had kids with the same teacher, and how it was not the best experience with this particular teacher, and as luck would have it, we also got this same teacher.

Posted June 24, 2013
The new Principal is wonderful! His kids attend Briarwood as well. The teachers are terrific, and are open to visits from the parents. My kids love their teacher every year. I have 2 boys who have been going there since Pre-school. We love it.

Posted January 27, 2013
I have two children there, both having attended since kindergarten. The new principal is amazing! Communications are wonderful, extra-curricular activities abound! All around wonderful school! There are Spanish classes now as well.

Posted April 13, 2009

Posted March 28, 2008
I find that the communication between the teachers and the home is exceptional. Currently, I have three children attending Briarwood and find that between the emails, the website, and the newsletters we are well informed and welcomed into virtually any and all activities. With the addition of a new principal this year, we have not had any personal interaction so I cannot comment yet on her communication or leadership skills. I will say that there seems to be a lack of encouragement for our children's teachers as of late. I find that those parents who are unfairly critical are oftentimes not involved and blame the school for their own lack of parenting abilities. Regardless, we are grateful for our school. As a piece of constructive criticism, we would like to see a Spanish Club so that our students would have the opportunity to begin learning other languages.

Posted April 13, 2007
I have had three children go to Briarwood and I was always kept in the loop on what was happening. There is a 'math club' called Math Wings, and there were other things that my children stayed after school and were involved in. I am not a 'SAHM' and I was able to be part of Battle of the Books and whatever I could fit in. I think the staff and principal are great...always available and willing to work with families.

Posted February 24, 2007
I have to totally disagree with the previous person and their account of Briarwood. As a previous teacher and parent at this school, my fellow teachers always strived to do everything to involve the parents. I was very impressed with all of my child's teachers and with the principal (I'm sure that there are a few undesirable teachers at the school, but that is anywhere). It is always good to hear two sides of the story. I think you should take a look for yourself...I don't think you will be disappointed.

Briarwood Elementary School 2

Posted March 22, 2006
I am often at the lack of communication between the teachers and home. The weekly school newsletter is full of fluff, not important information. One teacher frequently 'forgets' to send home a newsletter with important information. There are no extra curricular activities offered to the students, would like to see some after school clubs (chess, computer, math) There are plenty of opportunities for parent involvement, though if you aren't a SAHM, you are often snubbed. The principal leaves much to be desired, allowing a Halloween parade to last for over an hour, and the students to wear their costumes all day. On holidays, the parties last 30 minutes longer than any other school we have had contact with. The party atmosphere is too much - stick with education.

Briarwood Elementary School
14101 South Brougham Dr, Olathe, KS  66062
Last modified Briarwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Briarwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top