Blue Valley North High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1546 students

Posted March 23, 2014

BVN is a high school of gifted students. When I say gifted, I do not mean those who solely excel in academics. Some students are gifted in the arts--others, athletics. Some are gifted with public speaking & leadership. Some are gifted in mathematics and sciences. The unique quality of BVN is that it not only helps its students discovers their particular gift(s), but also, it ensures that their gifts are fostered and used effectively. There is much more to a school than its test scores (which BVN already has covered), but success is abundant and well diversified throughout the BVN community. No, not everyone has As. Not everyone is successful at BVN, but unlike many schools, the opportunity for the student never goes away. Most negative comments of BVN involve students who have rejected the opportunity. BVN teachers & other faculty are more than willing to meet students half way in order to adhere to a student's need. However, this process and the responsibility to act is on the student. As a future senior, I can attest to how my gifts have been fostered and will be fostered over this 4 year period, and I could not be more grateful to be a fortunate member of the BVN family.

Posted November 14, 2013

This is not a real high school. They spend all four years teaching kids how to take Tests and nothing else. Do not be fooled by their skewed grades and test statistics. If everyone has straight A's like they do at this high school, then they are obviously doing something wrong. The name of this school should be changed to Blue Valley North Day Care, because that is essentially what this place is. Absolutely no discipline whatsoever, and students are not really required to be in school. They may say that, but I know for a fact that students can leave school at any time for no good reason. This school is a fraudulent organization and I believe it needs a serious investigation by the school district because none of the other Blue Valley High schools are like this.

Posted December 4, 2012

I am a freshman at Blue Valley North. I absolutely LOVE it here. All the teachers are very encouraging and everyone here is very nice. It is very easy to fit in and you find a group of friends very easily. I am very sad that I will be moving. No one here is cliquey or anything. Everyone has lots of spirt!!!! MUSTANG PRIDE!

Posted July 1, 2012

My two children attended this school and we absolutely LOVED it. We moved from out of state and didn't know many people, school made a huge difference. Kids immediately felt connected and included. Academics, leadership, teaching quality, diversity, extra curricular offerings and their quality its all so great. One shouldn't hesitate at all to send their children to school. School has everything, its up to kids to take it to take their experience and learnings to the next level.

Posted November 10, 2009

I am currently a senior at Blue Valley North. Out of the other Blue Valley Schools, Blue Valley North has the most diversity. Also, if there is any lack of diversity, it is not the fault of the students, the teachers, or the district - they do not control who lives within the district boundary lines. Cliques can be expected at any high school, but the diversity of the different groups is great and someone can always find a friend. As a current student, I feel like my perspective is the most accurate. We have the best test scores and have won the title of being a Blue Ribbon school for the second year in a row. No other school has received that honor. I have had some of the best teachers I could ever ask for. They are enthusiastic and intelligent and genuinely care about their students and their subjects.

Posted April 16, 2009

my daughter is very bright and they had nothing extra to offer her to keep her stimulated

Posted March 7, 2009

I was a student at BVN and all in all this is an exceptional school. There are many things we wish we could tell the state to do differently with our public schools and most of these things will never change. Some teachers will never be as motivated as they were coming into teaching. Teenagers are going to be mean and snobby because they are teenagers. People will always complain about somthing in this school district. I ask these people to look at some of the un-accredited high schools in KC and then try to find somthing worth complaining about at this school. Never once in my four years at this school was i ever even remotely scared for my physical or emotional safety this is a safe school, the parents are very involved and the education prepares students beyond first or second year requirements at most colleges.

Posted February 25, 2009

I dont understand why BVN has bad ratings on here...I go there now and I think its great! and I disagree with the comment about diversity, we are actually the most diverse school of all the Blue Valley schools. I love BVN.

Posted February 24, 2009

I was a student at BVN and did not like it one bit. This school has no diversity and their are many cliques in this school. The school doesn't play a huge part in promoting diversity and getting students into learning more about diversity. Overall, if you are looking for a school filled with rich kids, cliques, and no diversity Blue Valley North is just the spot for you. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted June 30, 2008

I have trouble understanding why there are so many negative comments about Blue Valley North. I'm going to be a senior at North this fall & I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at this school. I've taken a wide range of classes & had good experiences with almost all of my teachers (two stand out that I had difficulties with--let me remind you, that is two out of at least 36.) I also feel extremely prepared for college & am not stressing about struggling to get into any of my choice schools. To those who comment about the 'ridicule' of students towards one another, please realize that disagreements are everywhere. I've never seen anyone at BVN being publicly called out because of their ethnicity. To those who have addressed 'drugs' at BVN, alcohol & drugs are present among students at every single Blue Valley high school. BVN is not bad.

Posted April 20, 2008

I am currently a senior at Blue Valley North and feel extremely well prepared for college next year. The teachers here are second to none, as can be seen by all of the prestigous awards they have received. The reputation our school has is that of the most highly regarded academic high school in the state of Kansas. Many times I am surprised by how much higher the academic standards are at BVN, even relative to the rest of the Blue Valley District. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who wishes to be in an academic setting that is second to none!

Posted April 9, 2008

I would not recommend this school. I grew up in Blue Valley and overall it was wonderful. BVN was the only negative experience I had. There is no diversity. The teachers and administration do not stand up for the rights of individual students. It is just fine for students to be ridiculed and called out by administrators and students due to sexual orientation and other diversities. I hope no other student ever has to deal with a high school similar to mine... and I know other schools do multiple things to prevent these situations. I am currently teaching elementary in Texas and, while we don't have things perfect, I know there are outlet and support groups that the rich bubble of Blue Valley North does not offer their students. Give your student the opportunity to see diversity, trust me..it makes a difference.

Posted March 30, 2008

As a parent BVN is excellent in academics and extra-curricular activities. However, the school ranks below average on the honest assessment of the attitude & drug use among the students. Maybe being a very affluent area has it's disadvantages. I will let my oldest finish here but will request a district transfer before our younger children reach HS age as a majority of the BVN students have more money than parental supervision and responsibility. When the teachers transfer their own children we as parents should be concerned as to why?

Posted September 18, 2007

I have, in the past, attended Blue Valley North from my freshman year to my senior year and I was not impressed with it.... To start, the school's own security was a bit, well, non-existent. I'm surprised that something bad hasn't happened there. yet. The teachers ( with a few exceptions) are for the most part, simply unmotivated and un-willing to go beyond their everyday routine to help a student with any questions or extra needs. The students quickly pick up on the teachers' annoyed-to-be-here attitude and use it to their advantage making disruptions during class just to annoy the teachers more.... why would anyone want to sit and listen to a teacher who obviously does not want to be there and half the time seems like he or she doesn't even like kids?! I would recommend to anyone who is considering BVN to turn the other direction...
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 2, 2007

BVN has been a great school for my son. He likes his school very much and the teachers have been helpful and will contact you if they see your child struggling. He always feels comfortable talking with his teachers, principals, and counselors. At the beginning of his junior year they scheduled a meeting with the parents, student, and counselor to go over his transcript, class schedule for his senior year and give you information letting you know what he needed to do to apply for colleges and get accepted. This packet was great for someone who has not had another child go through this. The students seem to get along and there seems to be little to no problems with students picking on others or not accepting other students. I would recommend this school to anyone who wants their child to get a great education.

Posted April 23, 2006

this school is known to be a school for all the 'richest' people in kansas. Most of these people live in Leawood or Overland Park. The grades are phenomenal. Great school.

Posted November 27, 2004

Blue Valley North is a great school. Both of our children are doing very well. We find the AP classes to be very challenging and worthwhile. Blue Valley North is one of the best schools we have attended.

Posted September 30, 2004

BV North is a great school, one of the best in the country. Although, it can be hard for students who struggle with academics. Kids that don't focus and excel academically tend to struggle at BV North because it is a very competitive school. The students really need to be self-disciplined and self-advocates. Blue Valley North is a great school for very high achievers.

Posted September 24, 2004

I am also a BVN grad and now a teacher. I had wonderful experiences there - was certainly not a favorite and still learned a lot. I am still in touch with many of my teachers.

Posted September 13, 2004

I am a parent but not of a child who goes to BVN. I am actually a graduate of BVN and I can tell a lot of the 'inside scoop'. There were teachers who played favorites and just call on them and ignore the kids who really needed the help.I didn't feel like many of these teachers wanted to be there. I often had to have other students help me with the homework because my teacher just didn't seem to understand that I learn differently. Many teachers were wonderful but I ended up not graduating from BVN and going to a different school because I wasn't getting the help I needed.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2012.

387 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

394 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2012.

378 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 72% in 2009.

366 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2011-2012 Kansas used the Kansas State Assessments (KSA) to test students in grades 3 though 8, 11 and 12 in reading and math; in grades 4, 7, 11 and 12 in science; and in grades 6, 8 and 12 in history-government. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2012.

379 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students93%

White97%
Economically disadvantaged84%
Students with disabilities83%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Kansas State Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

U.S. History and Government

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/A48%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Latin
  • Spanish

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Auditorium

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

School culture

• Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

12200 Lamar Ave