9-12 & Ungraded
Overland Park, KS
Students enrolled: 1,546

Posted March 23, 2014
BVN is a high school of gifted students. When I say gifted, I do not mean those who solely excel in academics. Some students are gifted in the arts--others, athletics. Some are gifted with public speaking & leadership. Some are gifted in mathematics and sciences. The unique quality of BVN is that it not only helps its students discovers their particular gift(s), but also, it ensures that their gifts are fostered and used effectively. There is much more to a school than its test scores (which BVN already has covered), but success is abundant and well diversified throughout the BVN community. No, not everyone has As. Not everyone is successful at BVN, but unlike many schools, the opportunity for the student never goes away. Most negative comments of BVN involve students who have rejected the opportunity. BVN teachers & other faculty are more than willing to meet students half way in order to adhere to a student's need. However, this process and the responsibility to act is on the student. As a future senior, I can attest to how my gifts have been fostered and will be fostered over this 4 year period, and I could not be more grateful to be a fortunate member of the BVN family.

Posted November 14, 2013
This is not a real high school. They spend all four years teaching kids how to take Tests and nothing else. Do not be fooled by their skewed grades and test statistics. If everyone has straight A's like they do at this high school, then they are obviously doing something wrong. The name of this school should be changed to Blue Valley North Day Care, because that is essentially what this place is. Absolutely no discipline whatsoever, and students are not really required to be in school. They may say that, but I know for a fact that students can leave school at any time for no good reason. This school is a fraudulent organization and I believe it needs a serious investigation by the school district because none of the other Blue Valley High schools are like this.

Posted December 04, 2012
I am a freshman at Blue Valley North. I absolutely LOVE it here. All the teachers are very encouraging and everyone here is very nice. It is very easy to fit in and you find a group of friends very easily. I am very sad that I will be moving. No one here is cliquey or anything. Everyone has lots of spirt!!!! MUSTANG PRIDE!

Posted July 01, 2012
My two children attended this school and we absolutely LOVED it. We moved from out of state and didn't know many people, school made a huge difference. Kids immediately felt connected and included. Academics, leadership, teaching quality, diversity, extra curricular offerings and their quality its all so great. One shouldn't hesitate at all to send their children to school. School has everything, its up to kids to take it to take their experience and learnings to the next level.

Posted February 20, 2010

Posted November 10, 2009
I am currently a senior at Blue Valley North. Out of the other Blue Valley Schools, Blue Valley North has the most diversity. Also, if there is any lack of diversity, it is not the fault of the students, the teachers, or the district - they do not control who lives within the district boundary lines. Cliques can be expected at any high school, but the diversity of the different groups is great and someone can always find a friend. As a current student, I feel like my perspective is the most accurate. We have the best test scores and have won the title of being a Blue Ribbon school for the second year in a row. No other school has received that honor. I have had some of the best teachers I could ever ask for. They are enthusiastic and intelligent and genuinely care about their students and their subjects.

Blue Valley North High School 2

Posted April 16, 2009
my daughter is very bright and they had nothing extra to offer her to keep her stimulated

Posted March 07, 2009
I was a student at BVN and all in all this is an exceptional school. There are many things we wish we could tell the state to do differently with our public schools and most of these things will never change. Some teachers will never be as motivated as they were coming into teaching. Teenagers are going to be mean and snobby because they are teenagers. People will always complain about somthing in this school district. I ask these people to look at some of the un-accredited high schools in KC and then try to find somthing worth complaining about at this school. Never once in my four years at this school was i ever even remotely scared for my physical or emotional safety this is a safe school, the parents are very involved and the education prepares students beyond first or second year requirements at most colleges.

Blue Valley North High School 0

Posted February 25, 2009
I dont understand why BVN has bad ratings on here...I go there now and I think its great! and I disagree with the comment about diversity, we are actually the most diverse school of all the Blue Valley schools. I love BVN.

Posted February 24, 2009
I was a student at BVN and did not like it one bit. This school has no diversity and their are many cliques in this school. The school doesn't play a huge part in promoting diversity and getting students into learning more about diversity. Overall, if you are looking for a school filled with rich kids, cliques, and no diversity Blue Valley North is just the spot for you. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Blue Valley North High School
12200 Lamar Ave, Overland Park, KS  66209
Last modified Blue Valley North High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blue Valley North High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top