9-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 15, 2015
BVN has a big heart and is full of the best people! From the principle to the lunch ladies, everyone is overjoyed to be apart of BVN Mustang Pride!

Posted December 15, 2015
My family and I moved into Blue Valley from out of state. My parents knew the value of getting into the best schools and being around success and we weren't made of money! I went to BVN without trendy clothes or fancy cars and I had the ABSOLUTE BEST high school experience. The teachers were incredible, sports were really competitive, and school spirit was awesome. College was easy for me because I was so challenged as a student at BVN! I took minimal honors classes (teachers were all about this) and got a huge leg up in college. I got married and ALL four of my bridesmaids were my best friends from high school at BVN (including my sister). I was able to be in band and sports all at the same time with great coaches and mentors. It was a blessing to go to Blue Valley North!

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 15, 2015
Gregg Buehler for being the best track and Cross Country Coach! Also, Blue Valley Academy for helping my troubled brother graduate on time in a learning environment that could relate to him!

Posted March 23, 2014
BVN is a high school of gifted students. When I say gifted, I do not mean those who solely excel in academics. Some students are gifted in the arts--others, athletics. Some are gifted with public speaking & leadership. Some are gifted in mathematics and sciences. The unique quality of BVN is that it not only helps its students discovers their particular gift(s), but also, it ensures that their gifts are fostered and used effectively. There is much more to a school than its test scores (which BVN already has covered), but success is abundant and well diversified throughout the BVN community. No, not everyone has As. Not everyone is successful at BVN, but unlike many schools, the opportunity for the student never goes away. Most negative comments of BVN involve students who have rejected the opportunity. BVN teachers & other faculty are more than willing to meet students half way in order to adhere to a student's need. However, this process and the responsibility to act is on the student. As a future senior, I can attest to how my gifts have been fostered and will be fostered over this 4 year period, and I could not be more grateful to be a fortunate member of the BVN family.

Blue Valley North High School 1

Posted November 14, 2013
This is not a real high school. They spend all four years teaching kids how to take Tests and nothing else. Do not be fooled by their skewed grades and test statistics. If everyone has straight A's like they do at this high school, then they are obviously doing something wrong. The name of this school should be changed to Blue Valley North Day Care, because that is essentially what this place is. Absolutely no discipline whatsoever, and students are not really required to be in school. They may say that, but I know for a fact that students can leave school at any time for no good reason. This school is a fraudulent organization and I believe it needs a serious investigation by the school district because none of the other Blue Valley High schools are like this.

Posted March 11, 2013
Blue Valley North is an excellent school. It is rated number two in Kansas and is ranked #297 nationally by US News and World Report Best High Schools. I have had two of my sons graduate from BVN, with a third that will start next year. Neither of the two who graduated is what you could call a scholar. However, going to such a good high school has prepared them to be able to handle college level work. Also, one of them has ADHD pretty bad and he got specialized help that was truly outstanding. There is some diversity of race, East Indians, Mexican Americans, bi-racial children, etc. However, there is not much diversity economically as virtually all households make more than $100K per year,.with many far beyond that. And some of the kids and their parents can be snotty. I've experienced it myself. So if you're looking for a melting pot, BVN is not it. What you will get is the opportunity for a great education, a safe environment (no metal detectors) and parents that are highly involved. I have put off moving to a warmer climate so my youngest can graduate from BVN.

Posted December 04, 2012
I am a freshman at Blue Valley North. I absolutely LOVE it here. All the teachers are very encouraging and everyone here is very nice. It is very easy to fit in and you find a group of friends very easily. I am very sad that I will be moving. No one here is cliquey or anything. Everyone has lots of spirt!!!! MUSTANG PRIDE!

Posted July 01, 2012
My two children attended this school and we absolutely LOVED it. We moved from out of state and didn't know many people, school made a huge difference. Kids immediately felt connected and included. Academics, leadership, teaching quality, diversity, extra curricular offerings and their quality its all so great. One shouldn't hesitate at all to send their children to school. School has everything, its up to kids to take it to take their experience and learnings to the next level.

Posted November 10, 2009
I am currently a senior at Blue Valley North. Out of the other Blue Valley Schools, Blue Valley North has the most diversity. Also, if there is any lack of diversity, it is not the fault of the students, the teachers, or the district - they do not control who lives within the district boundary lines. Cliques can be expected at any high school, but the diversity of the different groups is great and someone can always find a friend. As a current student, I feel like my perspective is the most accurate. We have the best test scores and have won the title of being a Blue Ribbon school for the second year in a row. No other school has received that honor. I have had some of the best teachers I could ever ask for. They are enthusiastic and intelligent and genuinely care about their students and their subjects.

Blue Valley North High School 2

Posted April 16, 2009
my daughter is very bright and they had nothing extra to offer her to keep her stimulated

12200 Lamar Ave, Overland Park, KS  66209
Last modified Blue Valley North High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.