No rating

Holy Spirit School

Private | PK-8 | 370 students

Living in Overland Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $166,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Posted May 12, 2014

I am a recent graduate from Holy Spirit and currently a freshman at Saint Thomas Aquinas. I am taking all honors classes and even exempted out of algebra 1 into honors geometry thanks to the amazing preparation I've had at Holy Spirit. The teachers were always involved and cared about how you had been doing in class. I could not have asked for a better grade school and I definitely recommend Holy Spirit to any new families. The community at HS is so welcoming and inviting and they make you feel like you're a part of a family. I have made lifelong friends throughout the nine years I had attended Holy Spirit- ever since kindergarten! Faith is incorporated into every thing we do- it is the cornerstone of our education. Our priest is one of the most amazing in the archdiocese. So if you want a school with amazing academics and most importantly a strong faith based community, Holy Spirit is just the place for you.

Posted April 2, 2014

My son attended this school for pre-k. He absolutely loves it here and I am very impressed by how involved the teachers are. We LOVE this school!

Posted November 1, 2013

Holy Spirit is an excellent school with great families, teachers, and administrators. I feel my children are receiving an excellent education here as well as spiritual guidance.

Posted May 13, 2013

A grand total of 21 staff members and faculty have left this school in the last 5 years since this principal was hired. Several families have pulled their children and put them in public schools. The only good thing about this school are the teachers that have been there over 10 years, and there are only a handful left. This isn't sour grapes either, it is the truth.

Posted January 30, 2013

My children go to school at Holy Spirit in Overland Park. I have read the reviews and I have to say that I have never had a problem with the Principal. In fact I haven t had an issue getting a hold of her. I am not in the "IN" crowd of parents that are reported on this site. I only care that my children do well and are treated well. That is what is happening. Both my daughter and son love their school and their friends they have made. Their teachers all work hard to help them be successful and learn the skills they will need to make it in the world. Reading these negative reviews bring to mind a bunch of sour grapes. I would be curious to know specifically what the principal has done to merit the attacks. Rather than ambiguity why not state exactly what happened? Then we can all judge if she was in the wrong. Any one looking for an excellent Catholic school you couldn t find one finer than Holy Spirit. I am not involved as I should be in the school activities as other parents are; but I am pleased with the education my children are receiving.

Posted May 10, 2012

"Allthat is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"...many good people have tried to do something, unfortunately, they are not being listened to. It is disturbing to see how an intruder can come into our community and completely change the landscape of the school. Even more disturbing that parents and staff don't feel heard by the priest.

Posted May 8, 2012

Clearly a tough time at this school, and the children are the ones suffering. What is undeniable is that there are fantastic teachers leaving again this year - for the third or fourth year in a row. That's not a favoritism issue or a "parent" issue - that's a management issue, and it is directly tied back to the current administration. It's unfortunate that the joy, enthusiasm and dedication to a positive Christian and Catholic education is being drained from this school. The parents, the parish community and most of all the students deserve better.

Posted May 3, 2012

If you are so unhappy, quit complaining and go somewhere else! Very Christian attitudes on here...how disgusting. As far as the pastor is concerned...no, he does not cater to some of the high-maintenance parents that are overly involved. He trusts his teachers and the principal; remember, they have the degrees in Education , not us!

Posted May 1, 2012

I have had several children go through this school over the last 12 years, and have seen some very serious, and detrimental changes. The 7th and and 8th grade classes have always been lacking good teachers, with the exception of one, and our kids are the ones that suffer. The Parish is a great one, but the school is sub par. I have seen 4 principals in this time, and I have heard nothing but complaints about the current bully in charge. We have had a couple great candidates apply for the position of Principal, only to be passed over, and they are now being appreciated at other Parishes. Great Parish! great People, but the school is out of control, and behind with their curriculum!

Posted April 26, 2012

Run as fast as you can away from this school - the good teachers are leaaving and the church administration seems powerless to stand up to the principal. It's not a good environment for learning and your children can do better at the great public schools in the area.

Posted April 12, 2012

We love, love, LOVE Holy Spirit Catholic School! Our children have grown in their love of learning and in their faith because of the wonderful staff and administration. Our children are constantly being encouraged to do their best while being challenged to reach new levels of success. We could not be happier with our experience in this loving and supportive community. We feel blessed every day to have joined this fantastic school and parish!

Posted March 30, 2012

Don't let the good test scores fool you - that and and the community of families are the ONLY good things about this school. Since coming in 2-3 years ago, the principal has waged a campaign to chase away talented, experienced educators and fill the teaching positions with unimaginative, uninspired teachers who will not stand up to her craziness. She has obsessed over test scores to the detriment of our children's development, and has cost them many opportunities to grow and enjoy their elementary and "middle" school years. She manages by intimidation and fear, makes no attempt to "work" with the families

Posted April 20, 2011

I too disagree with the 3/1/11 posting. Our children have been part of the Holy Spirit school community for the last 13 years and will continue for several more years. We have been very happy with the catholicism, leadership, staff and the community in general. This is one of the most supportive communities around. As parents, we have always felt welcome at Holy Spirit school. Bear in mind that some parent's get disgruntled when things don't go their way and angry/defensive when issues (esp regarding their children) are appropriately brought to their attention. The current principal is professional, experienced, financially sound, on top of all the issues - She cares about our children. She's the type of leadership/management this school needs.

Posted March 1, 2011

Nothing has changed with the attitude of the "new" principal. Parents are still locked out. So much so that the parents association are attempting to address the issue by going to the principal with an action plan. That says alot if they have to do that! Parents with individual problems feel like they get nowhere when going to the principal. Many families are trying to "ride it out" the last few years until their child graduates. Survey the 7th & 8th graders & get an earful of their opinion of the administration. I hope this doesn't have a long term affect on their commitment to the Catholic faith. The whole situation is very sad & hopeless. Unfortunately, money is king. The principal is supposedly good with the budget. But what about everything else??

Posted May 23, 2010

I had high hopes for the new principal when the previous one left. She seemed not to cater and cowtow to the select families and family cliches the previous principal did. I was mistaken. There is still the same favortism going on but now at least 7 highly skilled teachers are leaving without as much as an explaination to concerned parents about the cause. I find it very hard to believe all these teachers are "retiring" and "going on to new opportunities" at the same time. What is going on at this school? I think more is going on than meets the eye and if all the parents who are on the parent-teacher associations are too busy to really address issues of the lost of good teachers and focusing on raising money for galas, or the 8th functions or gifting the priests more dinners and accolades, this school is lost.

Posted May 10, 2010

A school is more than just the principal. There are many wonderful, caring teahers,staff and families at HolySpirit. that make up the community. No principal is going to be liked by everyone all of the time. The Holy Spirit is truly alive in this school.

Posted April 22, 2010

This used to be a really awesome school until 2 years ago when a new principal took over. She totally alienates everyone around her. The ofice staff and school nurse left last year. These people had been there for years and their own children even attended the school. This year we are losing our vice-principal ,four teachers and school counselor. Many families are leaving as well. The moral among the staff is very low.I only continue to send my child their because of the established friendships he has.

Posted September 7, 2005

I am not a parent of a child of this school. I did, however, attend this school from K-8 grade. I was part of the first class to participate all the way through. It was an amazing school and if I lived in the area I would send my daughter there. I learned so much, and they take such pride in their teachers. I never had a bad experience. Any parent that is thinking of sending their child their, definitely should.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 2% 2%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Kansas City

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11300 W 103rd St