No rating

Holy Cross Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Overland Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $152,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted January 4, 2012

The reason I send my boys to HCCS .the school community. A school family lost their dad this week and the way the families came together was breathtaking. The teachers and staff, parents and even students all helped in their way from doing photo videos, taking pictures, sending emails, flowers, making food for the lunch and making sure everything was perfectly set for the family after the funeral, to the setup and breaking down of the table and chairs. It's amazing to see how a school can come together when someone is in need.

Posted November 30, 2011

I am beyond happy with our experience and I now know why we chose a private couldn't be happier with our choice to trust our children's education with Holy Cross. Academics and Faith filled days show when my children come home. The community is welcoming and supportive and offers opportunities for parental involvement. The principal shows strong leadership and has reached out to parents in a survey. The preschool is beyond caring and wonderful, the experienced staff and nurturing environment give me a great feeling of security. I have made a few surprise visits during the day and been cheerfully greeted and pleasantly surprised.

Posted November 16, 2011

Until I realized that "Bullying" was taken lightly, I thought highly of Holy Cross. Recently my Grandson was held down and punched in the stomach and choked my 4 other boys on school property and the principal gave detentions of the same magnitude to ALL boys including my grandson. I feel that suspension should be mandatory for any student that intentionally and forcefully harms another child. My grandson was tossing rocks around and one bounced off another rock and hit a boys leg. This was an accident and though he should not be playing with rocks ( as kids do), he should not have been held down and beat on and then receive the same punishment as 4 boys who ganged up on him. I have to say that Bullying is taken lightly at Holy Cross School. The parents were not called in to the school which should have been done immediately and the 4 other boys who never even had to say I'm sorry, should have been all called in together to avoid "getting their stories together". They did admit to this action but simply got a slap on the wrist for it (some only received warnings).

Posted April 11, 2011

My son is finishing his first year at Holy Cross and I am so pleased we chose this school. Academics are challenging, but what I really love is the art and music program. From the art projects my son brings home to show us, I can tell that he is being challenged to think creatively. The music teacher is amazing and has been well-recognized for the program she has built at Holy Cross. It is a school that teaches children how to think, not just take tests. Our son is the oldest of three and we plan to be a part of the wonderful Holy Cross school community for many years to come.

Posted April 17, 2010

We transferred to Holy Cross from another local Catholic school and have been absolutely floored with how wonderful Holy Cross has been to us. Academically it is ahead of the rest. Never have I entered a school and had everyone I encountered smile and ask if I needed help or directions. This school is top notch! from the top down it ranks high above any other Catholic school in the area. The Spanish course is challenging and not there just for show, they really learn it! Extracurricular activities are not for only the 'popular' kids, anyone can play.Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is also an excellent program and ran by loving moms/volunteers. I only wish we had come to Holy Cross much earlier.

Posted March 24, 2010

We have been a part of the Holy Cross community for five years now and are happy with the education our child is receiving. The expectations of the teachers are high but that's part of why we send our child to a private school. We feel that our child is getting an exceptional education at Holy Cross. The only negative I have about Holy Cross is the pre-school. The director is wonderful and loving to the children but some of the teachers are unkind to the children and I would discourage anyone who asks me from sending their child there. It's certainly not the place I want my child to get their first experience of school from.

Posted February 19, 2009

We are new to Holy Cross and to the area. My kids are adapting to new experiences including going to Mass and learning about the Catholic church. Everyone has been so helpful and encouraging. Classwork is not easy, but my husband and I are excited that our kids are being challenged in a way that better prepares them for the future. We also appreciate the extras. Today my kids came home talking about the jazz band that performed at school. We made a great choice we when enrolled in Holy Cross!

Posted February 7, 2009

As a new parent at Holy Cross and a veteran of the local Overland Park schools, I feel qualified to offer my impressions of this school! First, why did we pull our children out of public school? Well, should I start with the bullying of my child by a public school gang because she wasn't black or should I talk about the lack of academics? Why don't I instead talk about how at Holy Cross my children are safe, sound and happy and I can sleep at night without worrying about my daughter's safety? Or I can talk about the fact my kids have had extra tutoring to catch up with their Holy Cross classmates since Holy Cross is about 1.5 years ahead of the public schools? If this school is in trouble, I hope and pray they keep it up! Thank you Jesus!

Posted February 6, 2009

I have one child in first grade and plan on sending my other child next year to kindergarten. I live 20 minutes away, and live much closer to other Catholic schools, but choose Holy Cross. The Holy cross School community is exceptional. Being a new parent, I have been welcomed with open arms. The teachers have been there for along time, and really care about my helping my child do the best she can. There have been many updates to the curriculum and policies of the school, truely embracing the idea of a 'Catholic School.' There are always going to be issues not matter what school you are in, but as far as I can tell, these 'issues' have been addressed to the best of the schools ability. If you are looking for an excellent academic institution, with a warm, loving environment, this is the place to send your children.

Posted January 28, 2009

We have 4 children whom have and currently are attending this wonderful school! We have never had an issue with any teacher in our 10 years at this school and we have had quite a few of them! Our children have been given the best opportuntiy to learn and be surrounded by a wonderful community of people inculding students, teachers and parents. If you are looking for a school for your child that will provide a strong education, a place where God is loved and part of there life in school and a community that is there to support them I encourage you to visit the school and see for yourself I promise you won't be disappointed.

Posted December 16, 2008

I currently have a child who is in the 1st grade at Holy Cross. We absolutley love this school. Everyone comes out of their way to make you feel welcome. The curriculum is tough, but so are all the other Catholic schools. All this does is better prepare the kids for high school and beyond. I disagree with what an other parent said about kids getting singled out and bullied. I believe the teachers and staff go above and beyond to avoid these problems. Holy Cross is a great school, and well worth the money.

Posted November 23, 2008

My whole family has been very involved in Holy Cross. My nieces and nephews attended this school. My sons currently attend. I have an 8th grader and a first grader. We love Mrs. Huppe. After she left the school fell apart. My son came home on two occasions complaing about the new principal, Mary Jo Gates. Many other parents complain about teachers degrading their children. And my son was singled out in a situation that involed the whole grade. A great school, but fell apart. After my son graduates in May, I'm pulling my other son out. And putting him in Holy Spirit.

Posted August 19, 2008

I also have 3 children at Holy Cross. Yes the grading scale is difficult, but it is the same scale throughout the Archdiocese. The curriculum is NOT outdated by any means, in fact the staff is always working very hard to identify areas for improvement. Homework is given as an extension of the day's lessons, certainly not as busy work. There will always be students that struggle, but I haven't seen labels, rather I've noticed teacher willingness to go above and beyond to give extra time and attention to their students. There are fluctuations in grade levels, but the school population is strong. In fact, out of the 42 8th graders that graduated in May, 35 students were from the original Kindergarten classes! All in all, Holy Cross does a great job lovingly preparing my children for high school academics, but most importantly, showing them how to live faithful Christ-oriented lives.

Posted January 27, 2008

Holy Cross is like one big happy family. We were new to the school this year, and were hesitant on where to send our child. We are so happy we chose Holy Cross from the great staff, to all the families. Everyone comes out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Posted May 21, 2007

What a fabulous school! My family is new this year and from the very start this lovely school has welcomed us with open arms! The new family ambassador program is top-rate and these ladies have become my new best friends. Most of the teachers have been there forever and the principal, Mrs. Huppe, can't be beat. She has a personal relationship with each student and they love her! Mrs. Huppe even pulls loose teeth! I am grateful to God for leading us to this wonderful spirit-filled school! I cannot praise or recommend this school enough!

Posted January 26, 2007

I believe that Holy Cross is a wonderful school, not only because the public schools have basically eliminated God and left our children even more lost than ever, but because of the terrific education and genuine care from all of the staff and teachers. There is always a friendly face and a person to listen and help. I thank the Lord for such a wonderful opportunity for our children.

Posted September 30, 2004

2 of my children attended, and they received an excellent education and were extremely well prepared for High School. This is an excellent catholic school that welcomes students of other faiths. Terrific alternative to the undisciplined public schools.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Kansas City

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8101 West 95th Street