PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Holy Cross Catholic School 1

Posted April 13, 2016
My children attended this school for a few years. I was concerned to see that the local public schools were further advanced than where my children were after attending this school. We had to hire a tutor to help my children "catch up" to the public school kids. They definitely would not have been prepared for a catholic high school. There is a big problem with bullying and nothing is done about it. Parents are not notified when their children are hit or kicked at school. The principal does not discipline the children, merely lets them color in her office or play an iPad. If I had known many years ago what I know now, I would have taken my money elsewhere.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted March 19, 2016
I feel they teach the children to be respectful. I feel they work hard on making them great citizens of the community. This is one area I feel strongly they care about.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted March 19, 2016
I don't feel that each student is treated equally and fairly. There are children that need more help in areas and that isn't shown. The average student is forgotten about.

Holy Cross Catholic School 1

Posted March 19, 2016
Don't waste your time sending your children to this school. There are so many other choices for private schools in the area. Such a terrible experience. They know exactly how to not show how to be Catholic/Christian once you leave the community and their "bubble". Bullying is a great issue here as well. Things are said and done. The principal does not take a great approach to this. It's ignored and not dealt with. She is not friendly unless you give money or are signing up to enter the school. I got the "cold" shoulder many times. I was told "she was a police officer, that's how they act". I was shocked at this response. My child has doubled test scores since leaving this school. I was not aware of the academics being an issue, until we experienced the difference. Do some research is my biggest advice. I never really looked at the actual scores but I regret it and I should have.

Posted January 04, 2012
The reason I send my boys to HCCS .the school community. A school family lost their dad this week and the way the families came together was breathtaking. The teachers and staff, parents and even students all helped in their way from doing photo videos, taking pictures, sending emails, flowers, making food for the lunch and making sure everything was perfectly set for the family after the funeral, to the setup and breaking down of the table and chairs. It's amazing to see how a school can come together when someone is in need.

Posted November 30, 2011
I am beyond happy with our experience and I now know why we chose a private couldn't be happier with our choice to trust our children's education with Holy Cross. Academics and Faith filled days show when my children come home. The community is welcoming and supportive and offers opportunities for parental involvement. The principal shows strong leadership and has reached out to parents in a survey. The preschool is beyond caring and wonderful, the experienced staff and nurturing environment give me a great feeling of security. I have made a few surprise visits during the day and been cheerfully greeted and pleasantly surprised.

Holy Cross Catholic School 2

Posted November 16, 2011
Until I realized that "Bullying" was taken lightly, I thought highly of Holy Cross. Recently my Grandson was held down and punched in the stomach and choked my 4 other boys on school property and the principal gave detentions of the same magnitude to ALL boys including my grandson. I feel that suspension should be mandatory for any student that intentionally and forcefully harms another child. My grandson was tossing rocks around and one bounced off another rock and hit a boys leg. This was an accident and though he should not be playing with rocks ( as kids do), he should not have been held down and beat on and then receive the same punishment as 4 boys who ganged up on him. I have to say that Bullying is taken lightly at Holy Cross School. The parents were not called in to the school which should have been done immediately and the 4 other boys who never even had to say I'm sorry, should have been all called in together to avoid "getting their stories together". They did admit to this action but simply got a slap on the wrist for it (some only received warnings).

Posted April 11, 2011
My son is finishing his first year at Holy Cross and I am so pleased we chose this school. Academics are challenging, but what I really love is the art and music program. From the art projects my son brings home to show us, I can tell that he is being challenged to think creatively. The music teacher is amazing and has been well-recognized for the program she has built at Holy Cross. It is a school that teaches children how to think, not just take tests. Our son is the oldest of three and we plan to be a part of the wonderful Holy Cross school community for many years to come.

Posted April 17, 2010
We transferred to Holy Cross from another local Catholic school and have been absolutely floored with how wonderful Holy Cross has been to us. Academically it is ahead of the rest. Never have I entered a school and had everyone I encountered smile and ask if I needed help or directions. This school is top notch! from the top down it ranks high above any other Catholic school in the area. The Spanish course is challenging and not there just for show, they really learn it! Extracurricular activities are not for only the 'popular' kids, anyone can play.Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is also an excellent program and ran by loving moms/volunteers. I only wish we had come to Holy Cross much earlier.

Posted March 24, 2010
We have been a part of the Holy Cross community for five years now and are happy with the education our child is receiving. The expectations of the teachers are high but that's part of why we send our child to a private school. We feel that our child is getting an exceptional education at Holy Cross. The only negative I have about Holy Cross is the pre-school. The director is wonderful and loving to the children but some of the teachers are unkind to the children and I would discourage anyone who asks me from sending their child there. It's certainly not the place I want my child to get their first experience of school from.

8101 West 95th Street, Overland Park, KS  66212
Last modified Holy Cross Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8