9-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

I trusted my son's councilor, Tara Lebar and the assistant Principal, Bryan Brutto, to do what they promised to do when my son's truancy became a big problem during his Senior year. He was never disciplined as promised, not even after I witnessed a 20 minute four letter word tirade by my son in front of Mr. Brutto and Dr. Tony Lake. Failing 4 courses, in April he was allowed to make up homework and no concern was shown by Tara Lebar in whether he did the homework or not. It became obvious that the school wasn't concerned with my sons education, only in keeping their graduation rate high. I have a son in second grade and is scheduled to go to Blue Valley High school. If, when the time comes, I found that either Mrs. Lebar, Mr. Brutto or Dr. lake were working at BVHS, I would not allow my son to go there. As it is, I now take anything told me by a Blue Valley administrator with several grains of salt.

in this school the academics and staff are exponential. by far the best with athletics and academics out of any school I've been to. the only problem is the students. just about everyone there is super rich and if you don't have the newest things you'll be judged. I honestly hate the people in this school.

This school is a joke. If your not rich and you don't drive a brand new Mercedes and wear expensive clothing, you wont fit in. The kids here live in a perfect little bubble. There parents pay for everything they need and want. The kids are so stuck up and ungrateful. Everyone has there own cliques and they don't open up. By far the WORST school I have ever went to. As far learning is concerned the teachers are absolutely great.

If your family has plenty of money and your kid drives a fancy car to high school and wears $100 jeans, they will LOVE this school and so will you. However, if you are a regular joe-type, it can be a challenge not to feel like an outcast when you are one of 1000 (that's the total enrollment) of the richest kids per capita and we are by no means poor. Our kid drive up in his old beater car, like all 16 year olds should drive and was made to feel utterly ashamed at this school. Eventually, we pulled him--enough was enough. The academics are good enough but the girls here look like models and it can be very intimidating. He graduated last May from a smaller school and did just fine. It can be fine for the right people but for less outgoing kiddos--it's just a little overwhelming in my opinion.

I was almost dead in an accident back in '09. Blue Valley West was able to understand my learning difficulties and I graduated in 2011. Only a year late! If any of you guys want to experience a very, very good school district. Blue Valley is for you!

For a public school, I could not ask for any better. While I hated my elementary school and middle school with a passion, I discovered there was no school quite like BV West. The spirit here is outstanding; I've never seen so many people so proud to be a part of a school. I feel extremely prepared for college and the opportunities I got from the activities were phenomenal, marching band in particular. This school has one of the best bands in Kansas and I got memories and friends from it that I could not get anywhere else. Only complaint about the school is the math department, I feel like many of them do not sufficiently prepare students for the ACT and most of them are either hit or miss in terms of quality. Aside from that and a few teachers in specific, overall the teachers are great.

Worst school. Would not recommend . Tons of bullying, tons of cliques and the teachers do not do anything about it. I have never hated a school and staff so much in my life.

My child had negative experiences with the athletic department. Students would be told one thing, and then when the students would rely on what they were told, the requirements would be changed without notice.

I currently go to West and I personally dislike the school but will be fair in my rating. One of my first problems is that students at West in-particular are very much into 'cliques' the kids there a spoiled and are very bubbled from problems in the outside world. I feel the teachers are fair although there are of course some that are great and some that arent so great. Some issues I have had is a couple teachers are very bias with there lessons. As for safety and discipline the school is strict and has high standards but they arent carried out well. I would not recommend West out of the other schools in the district.

Both of my sons attended Blue Valley West High School. The oldest graduated in 2004, while the youngest graduated in 2006. I highly recommend this high school for parents seeking excellent preparation for college. Both of my sons received an education that allowed them to flourish in college and resulted in both being offered well paying jobs with high profile Kansas City companies. The oldest scored 33 on the ACT. This does not happen in a sub-par school district! Also, the youngest son participated in marching band all four years and had a tremendous experience. This is a superior band. You will not be sorry sending your kids to this school.

Last modified Blue Valley West High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.