Christ Lutheran School

Private | K-8 | 120 students

Our school is best know for its Christ-centered and rich, classical curriculum.

Living in Overland Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $200,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Sweep tile

Posted March 18, 2014

We chose CLS for the rigorous academic program and Christ-centered education. We have stayed at CLS because these expectations have been surpassed and we have experienced many other reasons to stay! We have had our children at CLS for 7 years. These are the reasons we have stayed: 1) top-notch Classical curriculum that challenges the student and allows the student to feel they have truly accomplishing something great; 2) Christ-centered education where students of all faiths come together to learn and grow; 3) dedicated teachers who go far beyond normal expectations to educate your child while also showing them care and love; 4) outstanding principal who possesses remarkable leadership skills and will continue to move the school forward; 5) marvelous sense of community where parents and teachers enjoy each other; 6) safe and accepting environment with excellent peer group for middle-school kids which can be an impressionable and difficult age; and 7) excellent co-curricular options including competitive sports programs. Come take a look at CLS you will see and feel the difference!

Posted February 13, 2014

I couldn't ask for anything more from a school. Christ Lutheran School pushes my children to be their best, by providing a top notch education in a loving and nurturing environment. There is a true feel of family at this school. I am so happy to have Christ Lutheran in my children and our family's life.

Posted December 7, 2013

This school has far surpassed what we thought grade school could be for our kids! We never thought that we would have kids in private school. All of our kids attended Christ Lutheran pre-school, which we loved. As Kindergarten approached for our eldest, we began to consider CLS. Now all of our children attend and we continue to be so pleased with our school. Mr. Vandemark has proven to be a principal with both great vision and heart. He is leading this school well and incredibly investing in each child as an individual. Classical education makes a tremendous difference in a child's ability to soar. Each of our children, with their differing personalities, has done very well with Classical education.

Posted November 15, 2013

I can't begin to express what a bright spot this school has been for our family. For starters, we're big believers in Classical Education from a Christian perspective. What we didn't realize is just much this school would impact our lives as well as the lives of our children. While the academic standards are amazing (Latin begins in Kindergarten), it's the care and nurturing that our children in both the Early Childhood (preschool and Pre-K) as well as the Elementary school. We've found an entirely new support network of friends, parents, and educators. While we've experienced plenty of ups and downs the past few years, our one steady rock and foundation has been CLS. I strongly recommend parents to consider starting their children out in the Early Childhood program or enrolling them in the K-8 program. The staff and faculty make great strides to ensure that students who come into the school at any grade level (including upper grades) receive a full onboarding process to help ease their child into the program. It's my sincere hope that CLS will also begin adding high school grades at some point in the future. We can't imagine leaving this community.

Posted November 10, 2013

We love CLS, and have two children in school there. The teachers are so caring and involved with each student to make sure they are not only learning their curriculum, but also that they are growing in Christ and as a person. The classical education teaches the kids how to think and use their heads. I think the public schools push computers/tablets too early and too much and they are used as a crutch. And I'm an IT person! The class sizes are perfect, school leadership is outstanding. The school is still growing, and has a timeline for expansion, but there are a few things they don't have (yet). I can't recommend CLS enough, and am very happy we made the decision to send our children there.

Posted November 7, 2013

We made the right decision when we chose to send our children to Christ Lutheran school. Although both the Olathe and Blue Valley School districts are very highly rated we were looking for something exceptional for our children. Christ Lutheran offers our children the ability to be exceptional. A parent couldn't ask for a more supportive environment with challenging academic standards and Christ at the center. The classical education curriculum teaches our children how to learn, study and think for themselves. The leadership and vision provided by Mr. Vandermark and all of the staff allows me to be confident that Christ Lutheran School is developing the next generation of Christian Leaders.

Posted November 4, 2013

Christ Lutheran School has proven to be more of a family than just a place for my kids to get their education. We have two children attending CLS in the lower grades. We know that when our kids enter the school they are not only given a top quality education that exceeds that of any other education center available, but they are also loved and nurtured in a way no other "school" can provide. With regard to the educational concepts of CLS (reading, writing, arithmetic, Latin, study skills, etc.), they have been given a phenomenal foundation that they will be able to apply for the rest of their lives, which will also give the the head start on their peers as they get to high school and college. With regard to the values - I know beyond a doubt that the values they are teaching my children are in lock-step with those we are teaching at home. It is a blessing and a relief that they are not getting indoctrinated with concepts and ideas that are contrary to the biblical foundations we are enforcing at home and in our church. Christ Lutheran School is by far the best combination of education and values in a family environment that you can experience for your child's education.

Posted November 3, 2013

Truly the best kept secret in Overland Park! We were not at all planning on attending a private school, but after going through preschool there, and learning more about Classical Education, we decided to try at least give kindergarten a try - and we were hooked! We love that it truly feels like a community and family at CLS. We do not attend church there, and we have boys, both very active in sports. There are so many options at the club level to meet are needs athletically, we don't see this as a negative at all being part of a smaller private school. What they are learning already is amazing - latin, geography, history - so much more that we had at their age! We also love that they are becoming grounded in their Christian faith, but also learning about other religions and cultures, and seeing how that historically fits into the Bible and the big picture timeline. I have a 2nd grader now, and a boy in Pre K there (love too that the preschool side offers extended care so that their schedules match!) Take a tour to learn more!

Posted November 3, 2013

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Christ Lutheran School! We initially came to CLS when our daughter was in Kindergarten because we were looking for a full-day Kindergarten class for her -- and we thought we were just coming for one year. That was 6 years ago and now all three of our kids are at CLS! We have been blown away by the high quality education at CLS since that first full week of Kindergarten. We can not say enough great things about the principal and teachers at CLS. The Christian classical education that our kids are receiving is top-notch and in our opinion CLS is the best-kept secret for elementary education in Johnson County! Our kids are continually pushed to achieve more academically -- a CLS teacher once told us that each year they like to raise the high bar just a little bit higher and each year the students at CLS rise up and meet the challenge and achieve more than the year before. And what's even more exciting than watching our children achieve academic success -- is watching them grow spiritually! The kids at CLS are confident because they know they are a child of God. And at the end of the day -- that's the most important thing.

Posted November 1, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this school. We love it and our kids love going here. To be honest, before enrolling my first child I didn't see a benefit of paying extra for a private education when the local public schools are quality in their own right. However, I now see the difference in the students at every grade in their scope of knowledge, their relationship with their classmates, how they conduct themselves and their overall self-confidence. I'm amazed at how much information my children are able to absorb, digest and use logic for all of their classes. The staff all have a singular focus on helping the children grow in knowledge and in spirit. The classical curriculum is set up to prepare the students for the rest of their lives, and it's carried through all of the grades. Since it is a private school, the parents have a vested stake at participating in their children's education and volunteer in multiple extra-curricular activities. The study skills present in the middle and upper grades are better than I had in high school, and the results we see from that make me confident that they will be prepared to go out into the world and achieve great things.

Posted November 1, 2013

Christ Lutheran School is a wonderful Christ-centered community. I am overly amazed at how much my children are learning in this school. The classical curriculum is incredible & the teachers are so wonderful to work with. They are very knowledgeable & passionate about what they do. They love the kids so much and work to help them succeed. It is intense but at the child's level. My children are not only growing in academic knowledge, they are growing in maturity & people skills. All the children in the school exemplify teamwork. I've never been in a school before where the older grades are helping and caring for the younger grades & encouraging them. I'm so blessed to be in an environment where my children can learn reading, writing, math, science, & history AND Biblical foundations to support it all. I'm excited for the foundation I'm placing in my children's character & faith.

Posted October 31, 2013

Wonderful school. Solid, challenging and enlightening curriculum. Dedicated staff that go above and beyond in many ways, in and out of the classroom, i.e., commitment to classical education, sincere interest in student development and growth (intellect, character and spiritually), and consistent focus/adherence to the mission and values of the school. Strong parental involvement/support of CLS, CLS staff and students. As a parent you will know that your child is RECEIVING optimal instruction, ENJOYING a challenging education, GROWING academically and spiritually, being FOSTERED in a community that promotes friendship, teamwork and Christ-centered values. I can only speak for myself but my child has improved confidence, focus and direction since attending this school for the past two years and is also not afraid to be challenged or take on a challenge. Downside the school is K-8, wish it was K-12.

Posted October 31, 2013

Christ Lutheran School has been great from the Classical Education approach to teaching the children. Our children were at another school prior and the challenge was not there to go beyond the level of passing a standardized test. Going into the Middle School years we learned about Christ Lutheran School's Classical Education program of using Latin, Memorization, Shurley English and progressive Math curriculum along with Logic to accelerate their understanding with depth. Going into high school they are now prepared for any class or subject. The teacher's work well together to create a 9-year program of learning from K-8; but adjust well to catch up students that are not rooted in the processes of Classical Learning. The Principal leadership at the school is superb with challenging and expecting excellence in life, word and deed of both the teachers and the students by taking an active role in knowing each one. In all the decision to move our children to Christ Lutheran was one of the best things we could have done for them -- and their grades and test scores have proven this out.

Posted August 30, 2013

We love Christ Lutheran School! Our 2 children attend and we could not be happier with the quality and rigor of education they are receiving. Christian values AND high quality education go hand in hand at Christ Lutheran. While the classical style of education (Latin, logic, critical thinking) may not be well known, our children are learning to learn well, write exceptionally and think critically about the world around them. The principal exhibits strong leadership and is loved by students, parents and teachers. The teachers are highly trained educators who bring the best out of each student. We would highly recommend Christ Lutheran to any parents seeking a high quality preparation for high school and beyond for their children.

Posted January 5, 2007

I have 3rd and 1st grade students at CLS. I have been surprised at the amount of learning that has occurred since they entered kindergarten. My students have experienced Latin, and Greek mythology, and love reading, writing, spelling, math, and even history. Thanks to the hard working, dedicated and intelligent teaching staff, my children love to learn. CLS is teaching them to learn, but to be thinkers also. Logic, critical thinking and communication skills are specific objectives of the curriculum. The behavioral standards are high, too. The rules are clear and consistently applied. Consequences are appropriate. Extreme behavior is not tolerated. But, forgiveness and grace are the norm, not the exception. My children are loved and encouraged to do their personal and individual best, regardless of their skill and ability. All students succeed. We love it.

Asian 0% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Steve Vandemark
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Associations
  • ELEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
  • Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Art room
  • Auditorium
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
120
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
137
Students typically come from these schools
Christ Lutheran Early Education Center

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2013-2014 school year
$5000 - $5000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Lutheran HS of KC