K-1, 3-5
Prairie Village, KS

Posted October 10, 2013
C.S. #1 is a fantastic learning environment. Kids are gently, consistently encouraged to reach beyond the obvious. Being a C.S. #1 parent requires a greater level of involvement than hauling your kid to and from school. The community of teachers and parents is passionate about fostering a loving, stimulating environment for these kids. If you've ever even briefly contemplated home schooling, you and your offspring might fit in here.

Posted October 01, 2013
This year is our 6th year as a family at CS#1. After 5 years, my older student has now moved on to a private school in south Kansas City. He is thriving and completely prepared academically as well as socially. My younger student is now a 4th grader at CS#1. At CS#1 I know my children will be challenged and loved. I have two very different learners and their needs have always been (and continue to be) met in ways that work for them individually. The Community of parents is the other thing that has been wonderful. I am a better mom because of the other parents that I know and what they have taught me. I am a better parent because our children go to CS#1. I'm so thankful that we have an educational option like CS#1 in the Kansas City area!

Posted September 30, 2013
This is our fifth year at CS#1. This school feeds my son s brain he is very interested in science and he is able to grasp scientific concepts at a high level and yet CS#1 continues to meet him where he is and provide additional challenges and growth. While science is my son s passion, this is true of any other student and their interest; whether it is art or performance or writing or speaking CS#1 feeds kids brains and challenges them to propel their learning and develop a love of learning. It never dumbs down or waters down the curriculum. Accordingly, it shows incredible respect for a child s ability to learn and grow. Kids have an amazing capacity to grasp complex ideas and subjects and CS#1 acknowledges that capacity. Separately, another thing I adore..is the reading culture. Kids go to the public library every other week, they have daily "Drop Everything and Read" where they read to themselves or read to their younger heart friends. They partner with Reading Reptile and participate in the yearly Lit Fest, share monthly book chats, and learn how to write. As a kindergartner, 5 years ago, he understood setting, plot, climax & resolution.

Posted September 27, 2013
My daughter has been at CS#1 for four years. She chose the school because it felt immediately comfortable, warm and visually stimulating. I chose the school because I felt and I now know that children learn how to learn here, learn how to speak for themselves and are exposed to the city in a safe, but exciting way. Children are participants in their education and therefore, in their own lives. Children are respected and taught to respect others. While CS#1 in not for every family, it is definitely the school for our family. It is more than a school. The community at CS#1 is strong and supportive. I especially love that the school's alums join in activities thus remain connected and integral to the wholeness of the experience for current students. It takes a community to raise a child...I'm so very pleased that we were able to find this one to grow up in.

Community School #1 1

Posted August 02, 2013
Our child spent kindergarten here. We chose to pull out after the first semester because we were very unimpressed. Many days in tears, far too much homework for kindergarten, (same as 1-2nd grades), our child never felt successful. Some policies are punitive, zero positive reinforcement. Just not at all what we were hoping for.

Community School #1 3

Posted July 17, 2013
Very happy to see the school go from a private business to a not-for-profit organization. Hopefully this will create some stability for the school. We chose to go elsewhere next year because the enrollment here is so low, and the burden of fund raising was a hardship for some families. Some of the curriculum (for example the book club box thing) needs to be updated. We wanted to find a place where technology was part of the curriculum, and CS#1 really doesn't emphasize this. We loved the enrichment classes and all the field trips, but it was a lot of driving for the same parents over and over again. Maybe the school can look into purchasing a van or a bus for outings. Parental involvement is what makes this place possible. Lots and lots of field trip driving! Policies are challenging for young students to follow without the help of an older kid or a parent. As the enrollment got smaller, more and more parent involvement was needed, and we wanted to be someplace with a little more stability. The people we have met here are awesome, and we have made good friends. Wish we could have made it work, but it's just too small.

Community School #1 1

Posted July 15, 2013
Great concept, poor application. We were greatly disappointed with the school after being very excited about the idea. The manner in which the students were dealt with and spoken to was not to our liking. The "individualized" curriculum was not implemented in the manner we had expected. Totally agree with another parent that the "older" child mentoring process only works with a very stong "older". I feel our child lost a lot of momentum and love for learning while at CS1. I would not recommend this school after our experience.

Posted December 05, 2012
With four children, we have many years of experience and several schools with which to compare the education offered at CS#1. This is a unique school that offers more than just quality academics. At CS#1 children are consistent and active participants in their education, are recognized as valued members of the school community and are involved in problem solving to an extent that is not seen at other schools

Community School #1 3

Posted November 30, 2012
Great Concept. Okay in practice. The idea of a community based school attracted me to place my child at CS1. After experiencing the school, I was disappointed with experience. Expectations for younger children were a little unrealistic and the idea of partnering younger/older children only works if you have strong older children around. The concept for the school is good but I think more instructional support may be needed.

Posted October 04, 2011
FINAL - Part 4 of a long review. Bottom line, our son looks forward to school and learning every day. We are making sacrifices to send him to this school in that it is a farther distance to drive and more money, but it feels like a bargain for what he/we are gaining. It is one less thing for a parent to worry about. We are 100% confident that our son is getting what he needs at CS1. P.S. - Another bonus is that healthy eating is highly encouraged. Snacks are provided throughout the day so the students have optimum learning potential.

Community School #1
6400 State Line Road, Prairie Village, KS  66208
Last modified Community School #1 is a Private school that serves grades K-1, 3-5
Community School #1 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top