No rating

Bishop Miege High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Roeland Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $163,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted October 2, 2010

Bishop Miege is well worth the money spent. You come out of there well prepared and ready for college, and also come out with friends for life. The teachers there could go and teach in a public school and make more money, but they love teaching at MIege. Many of the teachers have been there for years. Miege also has some diversity compared to some of the other Catholic schools. It is not all "white bread America. It is like one big family. I loved it, and I know you will to iif you give it a chance.

Posted April 2, 2009

I graduated from Miege almost 3 years ago and I look back at my 4 years there and smile. It was such a wonderful school to grow and learn in. At first I was unsure about attending because I only had 1 other person that I knew going, but after the first 3 months I had made more friends than I could have ever imagined. Everyone is so accepting. The teachers are absolutley wonderful, they honestly want you to learn and understand everything they are teaching. They are helpful, humorous and responsive. For anyone considering Miege..do it! You will love everything that is offered. I never understood why my parents paid so much for my education, and now I do! Miege is a great place!

Posted September 3, 2008

I just graduated from Miege, and while at first i was a little hesitant to jump in, I loved it in the end. I was the third child in my family to attend so i felt like I would be just another kid to the teachers. However, I worked really hard in all the Honors/ AP classes and am now attending a nationally ranked catholic institution with a great scholarship. If you get involved there's no way you won't have a fantastic experience. On top of this the school really does try to live out the Catholic faith (just hear our cheers at sporting events) The school prides itself on class, and I absolutely loved it!

Posted June 9, 2007

I'm a former student. While I didn't like Miege at first, by the end of my 4 years there, I loved it. I found that there were lots of opportunities for everyone to get involved (choir, debate, athletics, academic competitions, campus ministry, etc). The teachers/staff are very dedicated to the students, and they make sure that people don't slip through the cracks. Miege is more like the 'real world' in terms of diversity (socio-economic, ethnicity, etc). I was accepted by an internationally recognized honors program at a liberal arts school. The quality of the education at Miege depends on what the student is willing to 'put into it.' I took every honors/AP course available to me...and graduated from Miege with 35 hours of college credit through dual enrollment. Miege also has a great ACT-prep program that's integrated into regular courses.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 10, 2006

Upon moving to Kansas, Bishop Miege was a school recommended to us from a family member. However, after a few months at Miege my daughter was sick and tired of it. She had been to three previous high schools before Miege and has stated that Miege was by far the worst. There were cliques out the wazoo as well as classes that did not prepare her for college. In her religion class, a key reason of why I considered Miege, they hardly ever learned but they could watch with 'living people in them'. I pulled my daughter from Miege and she happily finished her years at Shawnee Mission Northwest. If you are reading this and have to decided between Miege and another school, pick the other school.

Posted September 13, 2006

We have had two students at Bishop Miege. One is now a sophomore in a very competitive private college. She has expressed many times that she was well prepared for her college work. Sure, she had a few not so good teachers at Miege but, unless I'm missing something, that is the case everywhere. She choose Miege over SME, Pembroke, St.Theresa's and Sion. Why? Because the atmosphere was healthy, competitive and diverse. Not just racially but academically and socio economically as well. How can we expect our children to thrive in life when they have such limited exposure? Ditto for child number two. Our children could have gone to school anywhere but chose Miege - and they did so for the reasons that really count. We highly recommend Bishop Miege!

Posted April 18, 2006

Miege is a place that grows on you. I have a current junior and a freshman. Two years ago, I would have told you that I wasn't sure it was worth the money. Then, I sat down with my older son and tried to help him study for history and biology finals. The material was easily college level. I was blown away by how challenging the material was and how high the expectations were. From that point on, I began singing the praises of Miege. The difference between Miege and Rockhurst is negligible at the upper level. Because Miege's educational mission includes educating parishoners who choose to send their children there, the 'lower end' of the academic spectrum is admittedly lower than a place that can pick and choose like Rockhurst. However, on the high end, the students taking AP and honors courses are getting an unbelievably high quality education.

Posted October 28, 2005

Let's be reasonable. Bishop Miege and any other school for that matter, is as good a school as your student is. If your son or daughter is underchallenged by their courses, they should be taking harder ones. Perhaps they aren't able to because of their grades? The uniform policy is clear about the way they are to be worn, but many students are apathetic to the number of detentions and fines they receive. As for college prep, it's available and provided well for the students in the honors and AP course tracks.

Posted July 25, 2005

The teaching level has not met my expectations. My son went to Rockhurst and the education is excellent. I have a girl at Miege. I think the teachers need to crack down on the education and the school needs to worry less about menial fines like gum chewing. Also the uniforms are trashy looking by most students who attend. The boys pants hang down to their knees and the girls skirts need to be pressed.

Posted September 9, 2003

I have currently a 3rd year student and this is the second child to pass through the doors. I wonder if my money is well spent in private education....I think the freshman year is and has been too easy. I wonder also if some of the teachers are doing as well challenging students to the best of their ability. Paper writing at the college level or preparation for is nil. Would like to see more thought provoking work and being able to express self on paper.I like the fact that there is still some respect demanded here of adults and kids alike.Like most things its up to the child to succeed no matter where they are going to school.This should be a preparation place for college. Would like to see more prep work better study habit enforsement.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Kansas City

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5041 Reinhardt Drive