No rating

St. John's Military School

Private | 6-12 | 231 students

We are best known for strong academics and structure.

Posted October 23, 2009

I have never been involved with a school that offered more support and encouragement to young men that simply need help in finding their way in the world. The cadets are strongly encouraged by not just the entire faculty and staff, but by each other, to do all that they can do and be all that they can be. There is praise where it is deserved and discipline when it is needed, all with the common purpose of helping each young man become a leader and a better citizen of the world. Many of the boys come here angry, depressed, and with heads hung low, but they graduate with their heads held high, a promising future, and normally tears in their eyes.

Posted September 26, 2009

St. John's Military is an excellent school to instill discipline and leadership. I highly recommend future students and parents to look into SJMS, the academic and military staff go beyond any measures of any public teacher, by far. Not all young men aren't born with the instincts to be a great leader... Given a little faith, St. John's could change that.

Posted September 24, 2009

St. John's Military School will have a tremendously positive and lasting impact on your son. I attended and graduated from St. John's and feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to attend. Very thoughtful, compassionate, and caring faculty and staff pointed me in the right direction for my innate abilities to finally come to the forefront and guide me to success. The school taught me respect for my peers, my parents, and myself, self discipline, motivation, and self confidence. Thank you, St. John's!

Posted September 21, 2009

St. John's has changed my life. I was an average student at best that was not involved in any extra circular activities. St. John s changed that for me. I excelled in academics, sports, and personal discipline. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted September 20, 2009

This school is the reason for my success and happiness. I hope that someday i'm in a position to assist other young men to attend st. John's. The people who serve on as teachers and the members of the military staff are truly like family who really care. I so very grateful that there is a aschool like st. John's

Posted September 11, 2009

I'm an alumni and sincerely think this school changed my life for the better. I think anybody who goes to this school will be a better person for it.

Posted September 11, 2009

I would recomend St. Johns to any parents. My son would have never graduated from high school had it not been for them. They are such a great school that I just can not say enough about them. They also taught my son how to be a man along with a very good education. I am forever in their debt for all they did for my son!

Posted September 6, 2009

Last week I enrolled my son in St. John's Military School. Many staff members reached out to both of us offering personal support whenever needed. The affection between the returning students and staff was obvious. Staff members also organize extracurricular activities for the young men to pursue. From the time we arrived, another student was with my son, offering companionship and easing the transition. Hearing former students who have returned to work at the school talk about the signifigance of SJMS in their lives, I am hopeful that my son also will experience success. Patrice Jennison

Posted July 8, 2009

My son has struggled in school since the 3rd grade. While we worked with him daily, hired tutors, but nothing seemed to help. He just didn't care about school and accepted faliure as part of his life. He has been at St. John's for 2 years and he has turned his life around. He went from consistently failing to a 3.2 GPA. He will be beginning his junior year in August after completing Leadership Camp. His self esteem, confidence and overall demeanor has vastly improved. We have the teachers, military staff and leadership at the school to thank. They saved my son.

Posted June 15, 2009

I am convinced SJMS saved my son. The school's supportive staff exemplifies leadership, responsibility, and integrity. It is truly a caring community!

Posted February 26, 2009

Our son was on the verge of being kicked out of our home. He was not applying himself in school GPA of less than 1, drugs, disrespect for himself and his family. He went to St Johns in 2003 his sophomore year. The staff care, but don't baby them. He was 17 and needed to understand he can take control of his life. He did, he rose to the challenge and he found his strengths. He did not chose college, but he is in the Army doing what he wanted and is striving to be an Army Ranger, that his been his dream since he was young. SJMS gave him confidence and they share their faith which is important to our family. I would encourage people to investigate this school for their sons, it was one of the best decisions we made.

Posted February 20, 2009

Taking my son to SJMS was one of the hardest things i ever did. it was also one of the best decisions i have ever made. He received the structure he needed so he could succeed in school. He couldn't get lost in the public school web. The entire school environment was there to support what i had started. It wasn't perfect, nothing is, but for him it kept him from walking down a road that would have been a disaster. my sincere thanks.

Posted February 20, 2009

I am a proud graduate of St. John's and the combination of education, discipline and camaraderie I learned there could not have occurred anywhere else. It was great preparation for the Air Force and professional life.

Posted February 19, 2009

I was a graduate of St. John's in 2002. I am now a member of the prestigious U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit and National Champion. I would not be able to live my dream if it were not for St. John's. The three years I spent at this amazing establishment will ring clear in my thoughts and will forever be the stepping stone to many amazing years to come in my life. With a faculty and staff that make a point to raise men, not just students, this institution is a parents dream...at least I know it was for my own.

Posted February 19, 2009

I cleaned my act up and learned alot more than I ever would have attending a public school. My perants are proud of me today and I am proud of my self. A 5 star school out of all I attended from 8th grade to 12th. You will not find a better school than ST. John Military School. Jack Hare Jr.

Posted February 19, 2009

Just think, a school where discipline, honor, integrity, respect and hard work are taught and rewarded! My son, at the local high school had a GPA of less than 1, now has a 3.57. What more do I need to say!

Posted February 19, 2009

I attended SJMS form the 10th to the 12th grade. My 9th grade year in public school was a disaster. My first grading report at SJMS put me at the top of honorable mention list, and after that I was always on the honor roll. The structure and environment were great in helping me find my way.

Posted February 18, 2009

What an incredible, almost magical place. They took our boy who didn't care for school, himself, or his life and are turning him into a young man who appreciates himself, respect others and cares about his grades and future again. He is surrounded by caring teachers and military advisors passionate about their work and work compassionately with your kids. St. John's returned a smile to our son's face and re-seeded ambition into his life. He was ready to drop out. Now he tells us how he plans to finish the year on the honor roll and earn promotions. Talk to the committed parents, talk to the graduates and they'll all tell you about the exceptional experience your son can have. We've yet to hear one bad word from anyone that has made it through the year and returned. Negatives arise only when they haven't been there long enough.

Posted February 4, 2009

St. John's not only teaches respect for others, it teaches the boys respect for themselves. I am so very proud of my son, but better yet, he is proud of himself. The personnel at the school have become family to us. It was the best decision I ever made for my son and his future. I would recommend St. John's to anyone wanting the best academic education and life skills education for their son. I can't thank everyone at St. John's enough for everything they have done over the last 2 years for my son and our family!

Posted June 14, 2008

My son started in St. John's in January he was smart but was not doing well in public school. In a short period of time he has turned his grades around and he has really become responsible. I recommend that if your son is struggling you will not regret sending him to St John's.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 73% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 19% (2012)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 8% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 5:00 pm
  • Andy England
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • robertf@sjms.org
  • All boys
Boarding options
  • Boarding school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• College prep
  • College-credit classes in English
  • Honors track
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

• None
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Community service
  • Drill team
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • JROTC
  • Marching band
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society
  • Robotics club
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Students' post-graduation plans in 2012