6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

As a former cadet, I feel that St. John's was a major contributor in molding me into a responsible, respectful adult. The lessons that I learned there have been with me and continue to serve me 15+ years later.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The school has implemented a program to help cadets with ADHD and similar learning disabilities.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

This is a military school. The essence of the school is to reach for a higher rank with more responsibility and leadership roles.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Because of the small class size, 6 to 10 students in a class, the teachers can give each cadet personal attention and help.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

They live on campus together. There is no forgetting homework at school. There is a scheduled time that all the cadets do their homework. This is very structured environment where a boy will know exactly what and where he will be all day long.

My son started school at SJMS in January 2015. He had attended a private college preparatory school since kindergarten and excelled. His first semester of 6th grade he dropped the ball. He did not end up at SJMS just because of grades. He had some anger issues that created havoc in our household. This had been going on for quite a few years and escalated. The good news is that boy no longer exist. He is a respectful, responsible young man. He is excelling at SJMS. His grades are top of the class, his rank is as high as can be achieved at his age and he is involved in extra-curricular activities. SJMS has given him the discipline, structure and accountability that he needed. The staff is exceptional!!! They really care about these boys and become their new family. SJMS might not be for everyone but for the ones it works for, IT REALLY WORKS!

I went to St. John's as a boy that had no faith in himself or his abilities. After only being there for two years I found that I was able to stand on my own feet and accomplish anything that I set my mind to. By the middle of the second year I was speaking up for myself and not hiding behind the excuse that I can't do it. St. John's showed me the way and helped me to be the man I am today standing up for myself and not afraid to try new things.

Saint John's is a small all boys school which has wonderful caring staff members who know your sons and nurture them, teach them, and mentor them to become the best men they can be. They teach leadership, citizenship, reverence, responsibility, friendship and respect. This school offers a structured environment in which to learn, which I think can benefit every boy. The boys also hold a military rank and lead one another, which builds strong leadership skills through hands on experience. There are strict rules and expectations, but you are rewarded for meeting them. It was the best gift I ever gave my son, this school saved his life.

I guess it’s not uncommon for a man 71 to sit back and look back at his life and reflect on his successes and failures. I have been very fortunate. I have been successful in college; during the Vietnam era I was in the U.S. Army and did quite well there; then after the Army I spent over 35 years in oil and gas exploration and production. I must admit the last few years I have slowed down from my “throttles to the firewall” pace and have written several published historical novels as a pass time. All in all, I feel real good about what I have achieved in life. Then the natural question comes, “What was the motivating force that propelled me into a successful life?” In my case, it was St. Johns Military School. Had it not been for St. Johns I would either be looking forward to getting a parole hearing or living behind the third dumpster on the left. Prior to St. Johns, my scholastic attitude was I either loved the instructor or I didn’t, therefore my grades were either an A+ or an F. This of course bothered my teachers as well as my parents who had recently divorced. I was not a bad kid but I was always on the border line doing things that were exciting and adventurous. Needless to say I was “pushing the envelope” as well as my mother’s patience. She made the decision that I would go to St. Johns for one year and if I didn’t like it, I didn’t have to go back. After the first year the only way to get me out of St. Johns was with a crowbar and a court order. My oldest son, who was named after a former St. Johns Commandant of Cadets, attended the school for two years. Like me he considers his time at St. Johns as priceless and a turning point in his life as well. My successes in life are a direct result of my time at St. Johns. This is a great school! It always has and always will be. SJMS FOREVER

The staff was professional,answered every question,assured me that they are there for the boys to teach them leaderdhip, confidence,trust,dignity and prepare them for manhood. We never once thought that this would not be the school for Christian and I am happy we followed our hearts and let hom attend. He has matured in the 8 weeks he has been there. Including Summer Camp. Thanks to the caring and compassionate straff. He is a Freshman and my hope is he remains at SJMS until graduation.

Last modified St. John's Military School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12