6-12|Private

Bad
Good

I went to St. John's as a boy that had no faith in himself or his abilities. After only being there for two years I found that I was able to stand on my own feet and accomplish anything that I set my mind to. By the middle of the second year I was speaking up for myself and not hiding behind the excuse that I can't do it. St. John's showed me the way and helped me to be the man I am today standing up for myself and not afraid to try new things.

Saint John's is a small all boys school which has wonderful caring staff members who know your sons and nurture them, teach them, and mentor them to become the best men they can be. They teach leadership, citizenship, reverence, responsibility, friendship and respect. This school offers a structured environment in which to learn, which I think can benefit every boy. The boys also hold a military rank and lead one another, which builds strong leadership skills through hands on experience. There are strict rules and expectations, but you are rewarded for meeting them. It was the best gift I ever gave my son, this school saved his life.

I guess it’s not uncommon for a man 71 to sit back and look back at his life and reflect on his successes and failures. I have been very fortunate. I have been successful in college; during the Vietnam era I was in the U.S. Army and did quite well there; then after the Army I spent over 35 years in oil and gas exploration and production. I must admit the last few years I have slowed down from my “throttles to the firewall” pace and have written several published historical novels as a pass time. All in all, I feel real good about what I have achieved in life. Then the natural question comes, “What was the motivating force that propelled me into a successful life?” In my case, it was St. Johns Military School. Had it not been for St. Johns I would either be looking forward to getting a parole hearing or living behind the third dumpster on the left. Prior to St. Johns, my scholastic attitude was I either loved the instructor or I didn’t, therefore my grades were either an A+ or an F. This of course bothered my teachers as well as my parents who had recently divorced. I was not a bad kid but I was always on the border line doing things that were exciting and adventurous. Needless to say I was “pushing the envelope” as well as my mother’s patience. She made the decision that I would go to St. Johns for one year and if I didn’t like it, I didn’t have to go back. After the first year the only way to get me out of St. Johns was with a crowbar and a court order. My oldest son, who was named after a former St. Johns Commandant of Cadets, attended the school for two years. Like me he considers his time at St. Johns as priceless and a turning point in his life as well. My successes in life are a direct result of my time at St. Johns. This is a great school! It always has and always will be. SJMS FOREVER

The staff was professional,answered every question,assured me that they are there for the boys to teach them leaderdhip, confidence,trust,dignity and prepare them for manhood. We never once thought that this would not be the school for Christian and I am happy we followed our hearts and let hom attend. He has matured in the 8 weeks he has been there. Including Summer Camp. Thanks to the caring and compassionate straff. He is a Freshman and my hope is he remains at SJMS until graduation.

My son was struggling in school academically and falling through the seams at a very large local high school. He was disrespectful to those around him. HIs bad attitude made our home chaos. He was not on a path for college and a successful life. We enrolled him at SJMS his junior year of high school. After a few tough weeks, he slowly starting turning the corner and bought into the process. The small class size and the wonderful, caring, smart teachers gave him confidence and encouragement. The military side gave him the discipline he needed. My only regret is that I wished we would have enrolled him sooner. The co$t is high but stay the course and it will pay off in the end. It takes time and you must trust the process. You will not regret the decision to send your son to SJMS.

I would give SJMS 10 stars if I could. It is our son's second year here and he will graduate in May. I recommend SJMS for any family who's son does not "fit" into the standard public school mold or who wants a career in the military. Our son could not find his way in the public school -- dropped out of all activities, had terrible grades and was getting into trouble constantly. We tried everything and worked with numerous resources and nothing helped. Thank God we found SJMS. The staff is top notch and the academic program is outstanding. Our son has grown and matured in ways we never thought possible, and the leadership opportunities afforded to these boys are experiences that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Sending our child off to a boarding school was the hardest decision we have ever faced. The first year was also difficult because you have to learn to separate yourself from their day to day activities and trust that the school knows what is best for them. This is not easy. We knew, however, that there was an incredible young man in there, and we can never thank the SJMS team enough for their proven model in bringing out the best in these young men.

Just visit one time and ask the hard questions. SJMS is a great school, our son has been there for just a short time and we see the change already.

My son is presently in grade 8 at St. John's, he has attended this school since he was in grade 5. He has matured, grown and improved positively in many ways. Every year I continue to see him mature and continue to improve. The teachers, Military Advisors and all the staff in general truly care about the students and the boys deep down in their minds know this and I believe this is what makes the difference and the changes I as a parent have seen over the last few years in my son and also in some of the other boys I have come to know over the years as I attend the parent's weekend conferences. It is hard to have my son so far away from home but it is worth it, he will graduate high school at St John's.

We are parents of a 15 year old Freshman at St. John's. Our son has attended St. John's for the 6th and 7th grade, and now is at St. John's in the 9th grade. We tried having our son back home with us during his 8th grade year, however during that year his grades went down and his inappropriate behavior (arguing, listening, studying, and issues at school) went up. Having our son away from home 9 months of the year has been difficult on both of us. Would we rather have our son living with us at home? Absolutely. But we have come to realize that St. John's offers a unique and potentially life changing opportunity for our son to mature and grow in a positive way. With the benefit of smaller class sizes (our son's classes average 8 to 10 cadets per class), a dedicated staff of very qualified teachers and staff, and the constant structure, discipline, and guidance provided by a top-notch team of military advisors, we have seen our son grow in confidence, maturity, and academically. There is no doubt in our minds that St. John's is a "GreatSchool" for our son, and offers a great opportunity for other young men to mature and be educated.

My son, Cadet J. Matte is currently attending Saint John's Military School in Salina, Kansas. He started there in his Junior year and is now completing his Senior year. This school has been Exemplary in the Academic and Military teaching and training. This is all inclusive to teaching my son the necessary life skills that he will need as he finishes his High School career and moves forward in life. I cannot say enough about Saint john's Military School. The excellent and caring support of the entire staff has made such a difference in his life! I highly recommend Saint John's to any and all families looking for the best possible school to send their son(s) to! Jeanie Smith

Last modified St. John's Military School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12