Posted August 13, 2014
Both our children attended Brookridge (2005-2014). Overall the experience was very positive. Great, caring teachers that will go out of their way to teach the kids. They do have the standard SMSD Gifted program (once a week off site) which is pretty weak. We never had any problem with either of our kids being appropriately challenged by the teachers. The principal has an actual open door policy: Dr. Adams always listened to and addressed potential concerns we had. With that said, the merger with Moody has brought along some definite growing pains - overcrowding, lunch room 'over-discipline', traffic congestion etc. I am hopeful that SMSD, the leadership, and staff will be able to solve the issues that were caused by the merger. As far as parent involvement . . .GET INVOLVED . . .In the ten years we were there (before and after the merger) it was always the same small group of parents that were at all the events, helped organize, ate lunch with their kids, and were a presence at the school. The parents most likely to complain about parent involvement NEVER show up. And, if you want to know what's going on, CHECK THE WEBSITE! The days of paper reminders sent home are over.

Posted June 30, 2014
We live in this school district and were hoping our children could attend here. After visiting several times and speaking with staff and other parents, we were very disappointed and did not feel our children would flourish here. All the resources here seem to be targeted to children who are below grade level. I saw nothing encouraging regarding activities or programs for children who are at grade level or who are gifted. Upon inquiry we were told that there were maybe 2 students in the school who participated in the Enhanced Learning program which busses them to another school one day per week. On two separate visits there were groups of children watching Max and Ruby videos in the library. The school interior is extremely dark and the classroom doors remain locked. We attended a meeting for prospective boy/girl scouts (an extracurricular program) and there were no attendees (current or prospective) in either of my children's grade levels. It was all in all very disappointing, because when we moved to this area five years ago, the school seemed much better. I guess the merger and the change to a title school has really hurt it.

Brookridge Elementary School 1

Posted December 12, 2013
I like my child's teacher, that being said there are more things I dislike about this school than like. This school is beyond overcrowded. They don't have a music room, assuming a classroom had to take over the previous music room, PE is combined ages. The people working in the lunch room are constantly screaming at the kids. I don't even want to know what they're like when no parents are around of they're that bad when I'm visiting my child for lunch. Parent involvement basically doesn't exist, it's really kind of sad. The car line is an utter mess. They have the kids all stand outside regardless of weather. There are parents cutting in front of you and honking, flying through the lot because they're mad and I even saw one mom smack her child's head because she wouldn't get in the car quick enough. I'm just overall not very happy with the organization and parenting I'm seeing here.

Posted September 09, 2013
I agree with other comments below. Brookridge is overcrowded. Organization is lacking and parent communication is poor. The merge should have been more thoroughly thought out. To now consider re-evaluating boundary lines and uproot children who have been Brookridge students the entire time due to the overcrowding from the merger, is beyond disappointing. Shame on SMSD for allowing this to happen. The destruction of a wonderful school is in the palm of your hands.

Posted June 16, 2013
This school is way too crowded. Since the merger with Dorothy Moody there are way too many kids. All classes are at the state maximum and they have had to take over the art room for additional classroom space. Communication between the school and the parents is not very organized. I think there are a lot of good teachers at this school but leadership seems very lacking. The average student teacher rating listed on this site is comical for anyone who has a child attending this school.

Posted April 26, 2013
This is a great school, both of my children currently attend. We can't say enough good about the teachers, or their dedication to their students. For example My son was having a hard time with writing (he is left handed and 5 years old) his teacher recommended that he stay after with her to work one on one every Wednesday. That was at the beginning of the year. He now writes better than most of the students in his class. I would definitely recommend this school to any parent. The school does seem a bit crowded. However to the previous poster I would say you can always go to smsd, and print the school calendar; I thought notices sent home were reminders. This IS the first school year since the merging I am sure what didn't work this year will be reviewed and changed. I don't believe the merging of the two schools means that Shawnee Mission "messed up" the only real time it becomes "not comfortable" is dismissal after school. Which by the way has improved since the beginning of the year as well. My children love going to school here, and I love the fact that they are receiving a great education.

Posted January 25, 2013
I don't know if it is due to merging with Dorothy Moody Elementary but this school is WAY over crowded! Kids have art on a cart, music in their classrooms, mixed grade gym classes. No advance notice to parents about school events - we found out on Wednesday about an event on Friday....oh and you expect what??? The principal is doing her best, the teachers do their best but Shawnee Mission messed up by pushing so many students into one small existing school with minimal modification. Not cost effective, not comfortable and not working!

Posted May 23, 2012
We really love this school. We bought a home in the area, and our son had previously been at another nearby school that we were quite sad to leave... But we would never go back! The opportunities that the children have at this school are far beyond what I expected. The teachers and principal are wonderful and very attentive. The student body is very diverse both ethnically & economically. The programs and curriculum are amazing, and as far as I have noticed they don't "teach to the test" yet still have great scores (though not noted on the Great Schools site, it is listed at smsd.org). I was also very impressed by the amount of time my sons teacher took to really educate, and they used very creative ways to teach, which kept the kids interested & learning! I would recommend this school.

Posted July 08, 2010
We love Brookridge! They have a great staff, many of which have been here for a long time. I can't say enough good about them. They have been so good for our children. Our experiences here have been positive ones. We have been at this school for 6 years now, and have a child just starting. There are lots of involved parents, and the PTA is fantastic. The rating on here seems low, because this is such a fantastic school.

Posted May 06, 2009

Brookridge Elementary School
9920 Lowell, Shawnee Mission, KS  66212
Last modified Brookridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brookridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top