Posted May 01, 2013
Awesome school, we were going to move to Blue Valley and we are so glad we didn't. We have small classrooms, 15-22 in each class, and the teachers are fantastic. Couldn't ask for more.

Posted May 09, 2012
This is my daughters first year at Diemer and have enjoyed the smaller classroom setting, PTA involvement and passion most of the parents have for the school.

Posted January 09, 2012
My child has had a wonderful year in kindergarten! His teacher is a caring, veteran teacher. We can walk to school on sunny days and the school is small and warm. Our new principal creates a great environment for learning and being a community. Good diversity and parent involvement make this a great way to start a child's education. Don't look just a test scores, they reflect the diverse nature and broad socioeconomic status. This an old-fashioned neighborhood school where my child is learning and happy.

Posted January 04, 2012
We currently have a second grader in this school and have been very pleased with every one of her teachers as well as the faculty. They have gone above and beyond in developing extra coursework for our daughter to keep her challenged in school and the overall atmosphere of the school is both helpful and friendly. The fact that it is a small neighborhood school is also very important to us. We love John Diemer!

Posted November 12, 2011
We feel blessed and lucky to live within easy walking distance of such a sweet little neighborhood school. My kids have had excellent teachers there and we have enjoyed getting to know more wonderful families in our neighborhood. I was very impressed with a new (to our school) principal being able to learn all of the children's names so quickly!

Posted October 30, 2011
This is a platform where if 1 or2 parents are ticked off at the school, it can give the wrong impression of that school. My point is this: Last year a town meeting was held with the school board over the possibility of closing Diemer over ac issues. Parent after parent stood up and challenged the board to find funds to fix the ac issues so that Diemer could stay opened!! The board agreed to pay for repairs after they saw the number of people from the community and parents that fought for repairs on the ac to be made and the school to remain open. Diemer Elementary has been a wonderful place for my 2 children. They have done very well in academics and were offered avenues of help from teachers and the staff when they needed help to learn how to overcome difficult issues! How could it fairly be given a 3 star rating?? Some parents are in denial about how their parenting skills have molded their child! We are a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence!! Lack of communication as well as ignorance often keep parents from seeing their child from another person's perspective!!

John Diemer Elementary School 1

Posted March 17, 2011
This school needs a complete overhaul of staff from the ground up. Many of the teachers have too much tenure and have lost the ability to effectively teach the children in their classroom because they are set in their ways and often have favorites and show that favortism. Likewise, if a teacher or the principal of this school sets their sights on a particular student and pegs him or her for disciplinary action, relentlessly pursuing that student; which is administrative bullying. Since moving to this district, my child has been subjected to their constant harrassment without substantiation of any of the claims that my child had done something that warranted disciplinary action yet they insist. There is little communication or help from any of the staff. So far, I have been unable to get my child out of this school because they do not like to transfer students; for obvious reasons in our case - it would make the school look bad. Shame on the principal and staff for allowing and leading the bullying. We are seriously considering home schooling at this point because I do not feel anyone in this district will do the right thing and will only serve to protect staff instead of the child.

John Diemer Elementary School 1

Posted March 17, 2011
I also have a huge problem with "administrative bullying"! Perhaps it has something to do with coming from another district -we also moved here & then suddenly my child began having problems at school when before moving here, my child was doing very well. Every day there is something they wanted to discipline my child for even though they do not have proof it was my child. The teacher has something new every day that my child has done wrong. The teacher talks about disrespect but she is horribly grouchy and mean to students - I have been there and witnessed the way she talks to them. She is an older teacher and talks a lot about how long she has been a teacher and deserves respect! I spoke to the principal about it and was told "she was probably having a bad day"! I am also thinking of home schooling because the treatment my child has received from the teacher as well as the principal is uncalled for. The principal speaks to the kids in a better manner but she does not help. My child is singled out even in a group when they are all doing the same things and my child is the only one they want to punish. They even try to blame & try to punish my child for things they cannot prove!

Posted October 26, 2010
my son has attended Diemer since 1st grade and the school, teachers and principal are all great. I am so impressed with the care and genuine interest in the kids.

Posted October 25, 2010
I have been extremely pleased with the education my children have received at John Diemer. My children have both had kindergarten classes of fewer than 20 students in them and the teacher was EXCELLENT! I wouldn't move away from this school! I have found the principal to be very receptive on several occasions when I had a question or a concern.

John Diemer Elementary School
9600 Lamar, Shawnee Mission, KS  66207
Last modified John Diemer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Diemer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top