Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My kiddos started at Mill Creek this year, and we are so impressed with this school! I'm very picky about schools because I am a teacher, and I have seen the ins and outs of some great schools and some really horrible schools. This school lives up to (and has even exceeded) my expectations. I love the culture at the school: welcoming to parents and students. The PTA, teachers, office staff, and principal have been wonderful, and I feel lucky that my family is a Mill Creek family.

Mill Creek is a fantastic school with awesome teachers and administration. The focus is always on the school community and the skills that kids need to be successful in life. We love Mill Creek!

Because we have expressed our opinions in the past.

Mill creek has an amazing principal, Michelle Lord. Since her arrival in 2013 she has been full of energy and brings a positive vibe for all who interact with her. She's always up for ideas and suggestions on ways to keep our kids and our school moving forward. Her favorite thing to say is "why not us" and uses that motto to find ways to get mill creek the best opportunities to help the kiddos. We are so lucky to have her!

I have a child that has been in this school now for several years and EVERY year we have the BEST caring and loving teachers. There is never a need to "request" or ask for a certain teacher at this school because all the teachers at Mill Creek are "in it for the students." I have seen in the past years all my child's teachers deal with different level of learning of all children and do an AMAZING job juggling all the children. I have always experienced a GREAT and inviting environment from ALL STAFF and TEACHERS within the building. Mill Creek's PTA is a HUGE help in fundraising and supporting the school with the needs for the children. PTA has worked with several of the local schools in the district and started new programs for the students this school year (i.e. Science Enrichment) and they are REALLY enjoying all the experiments that have taken place so far. Every contact that I personally have had with the PTA has been very inviting and welcoming, I have even began taking on a position within the PTA. We see child growing both educationally and socially from attending Mill Creek. We feel VERY lucky that our house is within the Mill Creek COMMUNITY. Thank you Mill Creek teachers and staff for all that you do for the students within your building.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

LOVE LOVE LOVE the teachers are Mill Creek. They are all very sincere, inviting, eager, easy to work with, and willing to listen. We have nothing to worry about for our student at Mill Creek because we have the BEST teachers in SMSD!

Amount of homework: Agree

I believe that all the teachers have a fair amount of homework for all the kids in the grade that they are. If there is an issue, the discuss this early on in the school year with the parent to communicate with them so that something can be worked out for the individual student. I am VERY happy with our homework.

Academically a great school! Mill Creek Elementary most certainly is a Blue Ribbon school. If all you care about is the academic aspect of your child's development, then this is the school for you. However, the teachers are just like their principal-- cold, unapproachable, unloving, uncompassionate, unemotional, & uncaring. This school is absolutely horrible for the emotional and social development of the child. The principal and her teachers only care about the numbers and making sure they attain that Blue Ribbon. One day while I was at work, I met a principal from an elementary school in the Olathe School District. I began to share with her our experience at a SMSD school and did NOT disclose the name of the school because I did not feel it was relevant. When I finished sharing our experience she said, "That was at Mill Creek Elementary!" My jaw dropped and all I could say was, "How did you know?!?!?" On a positive note, the secretary and maintenance crew at Mill Creek are super nice!

PART 2 HOMEWORK: This school has an absolutely INSANE amount of homework with 3rd graders having 1-2 hours and upper grades having 3-4 hours each night with the exception of weekends. One reason for this is to achieve the designation of Excellence In Education according to state and federal benchmarks in both reading and math. Special assistance is given to children who cannot achieve at an excelled level, as a negative other students, teachers and staff unofficially categorizes these children as subpar students. Promoting an unhealthy definition of what is an "acceptable student" and what is not. PTA/PARENTS: There is a great sense of community with PTA and parent involvement within the school, which always benefits all children. The added bonuses that the children receive due to events and fundraisers are exceptional. POLITICS: As with all schools, Mill Creek Elementary has its own opportunities of politics, therefore, navigating the diplomacy when advocating for your child or class can be quite tricky at times.

PART 1 BULLYING: Bullying is an absolute problem at this school, just as it is at every other school in America. However, I have seen a positive change from last year to this year from teacher, staff and principal. This is singularly due to a change in principals. In addition, the school defers the lead to parents as to how to solve any bullying issue that may arise and is on a case by case basis. EDUCATION: This school is one of the best, if not the best, elementary school in the Shawnee Mission School District. However, it is important to know that this school only has approximately 432 students, whereas most other Shawnee Mission Elementary Schools have 2 to 3 times that amount. One reason for this is the reorganization of boundaries during the 2011-12 school year.

Last modified Mill Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.