Shawnee Mission, KS

Posted August 08, 2013
OPE is a fantastic school! My 2 kids have attended since kindergarten; the oldest graduated to the middle school in May, and my youngest is in 5th grade. There are several new teachers who have brought fun, vitality and innovative teaching styles. I wish more parents would get involved in PTA as it's typically the same ones who help out, but they do so without complaint. The school scores well on state reading and math assessments, and I appreciate the way the teachers push the children to be their best. I've found all teachers to be approachable and flexible when any concerns have arisen. I would definitely recommend the school to anyone moving to the area. Proud to be OPE Bulldogs!

Overland Park Elementary School 3

Posted February 21, 2012
I have a 2nd grader here. We moved from the Columbia, MO school district so there was an adjustment in the beginning. My daughter has made great strides in both math and especially in reading. That being said, I haven't been overly thrilled with anything else. Like someone else said, there is short notice on things, and they are very poorly organized. Her teacher is lack lester at best, she sends homework every night. I personally think every night is a little much considering they have been working for 8 hours already. Bottom line - It's an average school.

Overland Park Elementary School 1

Posted May 03, 2011
Teachers are generally not too engaged with their students. There are a few lovely exceptions, but not many. Also, parent participation is probably very low, because notices are sent home giving parents very little notice of events...sometimes a day before major events and sometimes on the VERY DAY OF THE EVENT! This makes planning impossible and it results in low turnout. That has to discourage dedicated teachers! It also discourages parents and students. The morale at this school definitely needs to be raised! More attention to the schedule and the needs of the parents should be given.

Overland Park Elementary School 2

Posted August 02, 2010
I have been a student at OPE for 5 years and I really like 5 of the teachers but the rest are pretty bad. The teacher i had this year was really mean and he yelled at us and laughed at us when we did some thing wrong. at my other school there wasn't any mean teachers and it was really hard getting used to OPE.

Overland Park Elementary School 4

Posted May 28, 2008
My daughter just finished Kindergarten at OPE . Her teacher was fantastic. She communicated well with me and my daughter loved her. We enjoyed the movie nights, open house, holiday party and all the other functions the PTA put on.

Overland Park Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2007
I have two children at Overland Park Elementary and I have to say that I have never been so disgusted by teachers in any school district. My children have been attending OPE for two over two years now, and the teachers are negative and completely uncaring. I am very disappointed.

Overland Park Elementary School 4

Posted August 23, 2006
My child has attended this school for 3 years and I have to say that overall I am pleased. I think the staff generally care about the students and the teachers I have encountered were very receptive to listening to my questions and concerns related to my child's education. My only complaints would be about pick up. It's extremely dangerous because parents just do not follow the rules. It's pandemonium every single afternoon as the parking lot is full and there are cars parked up and down the streets in addition to the circle drive. I am not sure what the solution should be but releasing that many children all at once is certainly not it. I have more than once had to suddenly stop to avoid hitting a child that was running across the parking lot to meet a parent that was unwilling to get out of their car!

Overland Park Elementary School 2

Posted August 25, 2005
This school has the most patience with my son. We have tried 2 other schools in the Shawnee Mission School District which ended in me pulling him out and homeschooling him because they did not have the best interest of my son. Last year I put him back in school and had numerous problems but still enrolled him this year. However, I have been very dissatisfied overall this year and may pull him and put him in a different school district that takes those out of their district. One of the major problems and there are many I had was at Back to school night. The teacher refused to discuss anything with me regarding my sons schedule, etc. (he is special ed) and said it would be discussed at the IEP meeting which was just ridiculous. Back to school night was a waste of time. Still waiting on the meeting.

Posted August 15, 2005
The new principal. Mrs. Leah Pearl is outstanding and has a real talent for listening to her students, families and her staff. She has changed our school from oppressive and status quo to one were a student is an individual. She expects your child to do very well and your child in return shows himself and others that YES they are a real success. The PTA program is way below average. Most of the staff is exceptional/ I love this school. The music and art are great. PE needs a better focus. Pick up/ drop off times can be unsafe when parents park at the curb or don't pull up as requested. Library has new books and Mathletics are great, thanks to Mrs. Pearl. IBS scores are great. We need way more critical thinking teachers as new grads. We have lots to be proude of.Thanks Mrs. Pearl for your leadership.

Posted September 16, 2004

Overland Park Elementary School
8150 Santa Fe Dr, Shawnee Mission, KS  66204
Last modified Overland Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Overland Park Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top