Posted April 26, 2012
(I'm a student) I don't believe I judge this school fairly in my other review. I only talked about about the system and extra stuff. But now I will talk about the education, if you are a parent and want your child to have a good education; this school has a good one. The teachers here are very nice and WILL answer your questions. It has a whole range of different level classes, so if you not so good in math but you don't want to be place in the lowest math level; this school has that option. This school also has online textbooks so you don't have to carry your books home. Also, it has ASAP which is basically a study hall after school with teachers there to help you. So overall, if you are the type of person who just goes to school to learn and don't get involve in any extra stuff; this is school is great for you. BUT if you are the type of person who really gets involve with clubs or anything else, you might find some faults in this school.

Hocker Grove Middle School 3

Posted January 30, 2011
as a student a hocker grove and not just some parent, i can say i really like this school. the only reason i give it 3 out of 5 is because i dont like most of the teachers. don't get me wrong, i like alot of them, like mr.hiles or miss obrien, but i really hate alot too. there are alot of fights which when your in 7th grade, is a great thing, bad tasting lunch(what else is new) , miss fortmiller is a horrible princable, and some kids like me dont have enough time to get from class to class, my classes are really far apart and i have to stop by my locker, and usually i have to wait for the person under me. and teachers dont listen to actualy good excuses.

Posted April 19, 2010
Hocker Grove is a very good school. There are hardly any fights that I have seen and the teachers do their best to keep the class in order. I ahve noticed that there are childten from out of the county that have transfered in and they tend to be more diobediant than the kids that live in the district. Over all it is pretty good...except for the food. But hey, what school lunch is really good? I recemend bringing lunch from home would be a better choice than buying.

Posted January 26, 2010

Hocker Grove Middle School 5

Posted January 25, 2010
Principal Pfortmiller has done a great job implementing the SOAR guidelines (Safe Behavior, On Task, Act Responsibly, Respect Self and Others) to keep students disciplined and in control. Our son has thrived at the school over the past two years even though he's not in the popular crowd. I cringed one day when the Principal called us once to report our son's and his friends' overly aggressive behavior in the hallway but was happy she cared enough to prevent the situation from flaring up in the future.

Hocker Grove Middle School 5

Posted August 11, 2009

Hocker Grove Middle School 2

Posted June 02, 2009
I was throughly dissatisfied with my term at Hocker Grove. The principal has no control over the students whatsoever and they do not put harsh enough punishments on kids who posses or sell drugs at school. Ever since the new vice principal has come though, too many rules have been put into effect. I made some of the greatest friends here but the education has lacked. Also i feel transfers from out of district should not be aloud. I would recomend a transfer to Trailridge if you want to accually learn, have fun, and/or have more freedom.

Posted January 21, 2009
I got a some-what good education at this school, and there are fights every day, the teachers don't really care about teaching. The Principal Debbie Pfortmiller does not do her job (when she does it, she does it horribly). Most of the students have attitude problems. They spent a ton of money and they didn't even fix the school properly. The boys' gym locker room has broken and displaced ceiling tiles. This school is horrible, and if you can transfer, I would recommend transfering. The school even has a school resource officer, and he doesn't even do anything. If this review system had a zero star added to it, I would rank it a zero. Thanks for your time...

Posted January 15, 2009
I think the school has improved somewhat over the last couple of years. My eldest son attended Hocker for both 7th and 8th (2006-2008) and we really struggled with him because he was really picked on, and it seemed like fights were not stopped as quickly or as efficiently as they could have been. Not to mention the teachers nor the staff seemed to pay attention to the students who were doing the harassing. Just think of that movie 'Drill Bit Taylor' how the kids tried telling their parents but because the 'bully' put on a good show while adults were around he was not disciplined. My daughter is now at Hocker (7th) and she doesn't seem to be having any social issues however her academics are lacking. Overall, I think the school has improved (new vice-principal has helped out a lot.)

Posted February 13, 2008

Hocker Grove Middle School
10400 Johnson Dr, Shawnee Mission, KS  66203
Last modified Hocker Grove Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hocker Grove Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.