Shawnee Mission North High School

Public | 7-12 & ungraded | 1623 students

Posted November 30, 2013

Shawnee Mission north high school is the best out there when it comes to being socially accepting. Coming in as a freshman this year, all I was worried about was "Is high school is bad as everyone says it is?" This one definetely isn't. I am involved in the theatre department and yearbook. It's very difficult to find someone not involved in something. Everyone is always so nice and the honor classes have great expectations. Shawnee Mission North high school so far, is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Posted May 13, 2013

SMN is a great school full of traditions and encouragement. Everyone is welcoming. It's really hard to find a student who isn't involved in multiple activities. The teachers challenge you, and are willing to work with their students and enjoy it. The Drama Department is one of the most inclusive groups. There are many different types of people involved in things like band, sports, DECA, robotics, and Dungeons and Dragons. This is a very diverse, encouraging, and welcoming school. I love attending North.

Posted March 3, 2013

While attending Shawnee Mission North, I had always heard how well the S.M. schools ranked in the state, and even in national comparisons. I enjoyed my time at North and felt that I received a good education, especially from a public school. It wasn't until just a few years ago, when my employer and I were discussing education and how it can help shape who we are, that I realized how fortunate I was to have gone to a Shawnee Mission High School. My boss grew up in LA, attended Vanderbilt and previous to his VP position at our company, was a teacher/administrator in private education in the D.C. area. He taught classes attended by children of politicians and many of the (so-called) Washington elite. One day, when we were discussing how to solve the world's problems, I relayed to him my thoughts regarding what seemed to be the overall demise of education and halfway joked that maybe it's just that I attended a better school. He said, "Of course you did, you went to a Shawnee Mission school." I asked how he remembered where I went to high school and he said, "Anyone in education knows Shawnee Mission schools. You, for all practical purposes, had a private school education."

Posted May 10, 2012

SMNHS ended up being the best thing that ever happened to my daughter during her teen years! We moved from Lee's Summit to Overland Park during her sophmore year in HS. Lee's Summit North was an awful school socially, it's more of a jock school, and the band was too competative, not an inspiring, safe environment. But SMNHS band with Mr Reed...OMG, what a wonderful experience, the district is so lucky to have him. He truly loves what he does, enjoys the kids, has fun with the kids, I can't say enough. Socially, SMN is very accepting, it's diverse, it feels like a community, the kids are passionate at football games, the drama club is spectacular, thank you SMN for a wonderful HS experience for my daughter and her parents.

Posted July 27, 2010

I am currently attending Shawnee Mission North and it is the by far the best out of all the high schools in the Shawnee Mission School District. North is a very diverse school, no doubt; but students have to remember that they what get out of it what you put in. There are many extracurricular activities & a wide variety of classes to choose from. Also, tradition is a very big thing at North. This school is very safe and comfortable, it is very easy to make friends, and students get along very well with teachers. The Drama Department in North is outstanding! Same with the Art Department. There is a beautiful campus, and it has many windows, but since it was built in1922 and kept getting renovated and added on to, the layout is stringy. This school is anything but clique-y.

Posted November 3, 2009

This is the original Shawnee Mission School and it has a beautiful campus. Three generations of my family have gone to school here. I have some very good memories of teachers and friends.

Posted September 16, 2009

The teachers are great. The class choices exceed other schools.

Posted May 11, 2009

My son attended a private elementary and middle school. When it was time to choose a high school, we were torn between a private school and North. I am happy to say that we chose North. My son has been extremely happy there. He is doing exceptionally well, taking both honors and regular classes. We feel he is being challenged by his teachers. He has met many new kids, is involved in numerous activities and sports. He has told me he's glad we made the choice we made. North has a lot to offer if you take advantage of it. A student gets out of it what he or she puts into it. We couldn't be happier!

Posted May 10, 2009

I go to North, and it is amazing. I love it so much and would not trade it for any other school I can think of. There is so much diversity at North. All the sports and extracurricular activities enable you to meet and interact with so many different people. One of the best parts of North is all the traditions. We have so many I can't even count them.

Posted January 3, 2009

As a current SM North student, I have a lot of mixed feelings about the school. I came to North from a private middle school where I was academically challenged, but was disappointed to find that North had very low expectations. I don't think it's just the difference between public and private schools, because I've had private school friends who have gone to SM East and SM Northwest and have had much better reports about their schools. That said, I have had a few really good teachers who push their students to excell, and I believe that students who take a rigorous honors curriculum at North will learn something. However, the majority of the teachers aren't that great. Most of them have been mediocre (at best), and a few probably wouldn't be teaching if they were at schools with higher standards.

Posted September 18, 2008

Previously submitted review - would like to update after reading guidelines; we have 2 students that graduated in 2006 & 2008; we are so grateful they went to SMN, even when we moved in the West area; they would not change schools; as a teacher and parent, I firmly believe SMN has the best academic curriculum with teachers that are second to none (ie: Yearbook teacher known by many in the midwest); our students began sports immediately as a freshman, and were able to start varsity which enhanced their opportunities for college; other activities such as yearbook participation, pep club, drama, choir and more were of interest due to their superb performances; seeing the school in action was always reassuring as a parent and teacher. Always welcomed anytime, & assisted if needed; Our students both received full ride scholarships based on sports and academics. That sums it up!!!

Posted January 25, 2008

Great place-- staff, programs, facility new administration.

Posted March 13, 2007

I am a former SMN student and all of my younger siblings graduated from there as well (last in '02). Overall North is a fine school. The economic and ethnic/racial diversity at North differentiate it from other wealthier SM schools and in my opinion make it a comfortable and more interesting environment--which is rare for a good school in bland suburban KS. Their arts and theater program are wonderful. Their honors program, when I was there, was very good. Their sports teams always seem to need improvement but are competitive and stimulating and occasionally win titles. Students have lots of opportunity there to succeed academically but they really get out of it what they put into it. North isn't good at pushing a student out of the status quo and their remedial programs need revamping. However, I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids there.

Posted March 4, 2007

This school is by far the best thing that could have ever happened to my daughter. Before North she was shy and fairly unsocial. She is very bright, and was often bored in middle school because she wasn't challenged. There are a wide variety of academic opportunities at North as well as extra-curricular. Their theatre department is sensational. The students and faculty are committed to keeping up traditions and making North the best of the best. The teachers strive to get to know students and help in any way possible, and the administration is top rate. Tony Lake is an incredible principal, and Eric Rembold is the best associate principal in the district. Diversity there makes students more apt to being ready for the real world. Shawnee Mission North is the best.

Posted May 17, 2006

I have had two children graduate from Shawnee Mission North (2003 & 2005). I can not say enough about how wonderful the administration, education, and opportunities are at Shawnee Mission North. The teachers and administration are more than willing to keep parents informed and work through the good and the not so good that occurs in all schools. Academically, there is a wide variety of programs, including honors and AP courses, that allow students to get as much as they want out of the education provided. It has highly rated drama, journalism, and art programs that are the best in the area, winning awards year after year. The diversity within the school allows the students to experience the real world with real people. SM North provided a wonderful experience and one that we would not trade for any of the schools in the 'richer' areas.

Posted April 3, 2006

Shawnee Mission North is, in my opinion, the best school in the Shawnee Mission District and also one of the best schools in the state and country. While quite a few parents in the district accuse North of having a violent school environment, I can say from a first-hand experience that is not the case. On the many occasions that I was in the school, I did not see nor did I hear of any such incidents happening. But on to the reasons that North is a great place for your child to attend. Not only does North have excellent athletic facilities, coaches and teams, but it has academics that can rival most schools in the area. The extra-curricular activities are simply amazing with the choices ranging from robotic club to debate and forensics to marching band. North is also very diverse and prepares a student for the real world.

Posted August 23, 2005

SMN is a truly outstanding school with a decided emphasis on academic excellence. Shawnee Mission is one of the top rated public school districts, and North is one of the best. They have a wide array of classes and programs available.

Posted July 24, 2005

I think this school is not a violent school by any means, moving from a school in Chicago to here this school was so peaceful...the students respect their teachers, the students are a lot better behaved, now I do have a problem with the teachers. I think they should try more to intereact with their students.

Posted November 20, 2004

I went there for two years, and I will never step foot into that school again.

Posted June 3, 2004

North has some problems. Not being able to keep track of their students during the regular school hours is one of them. I have a big problem with the student bearing 100% of the responsibility for their actions when the school reinforces those same bad behaviours. Otherwise, I think the staff and administrators deal very well with the normal day to day activities in the school. They have provided a good deal of support for my son and I anticipate that that will continue. I think the school does a great job with the caliber of kids they have there.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2011-2012 Kansas used the Kansas State Assessments (KSA) to test students in grades 3 though 8, 11 and 12 in reading and math; in grades 4, 7, 11 and 12 in science; and in grades 6, 8 and 12 in history-government. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2012.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 78% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2009.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2012.

377 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

384 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2012.

385 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 72% in 2009.

404 students were tested at this school in 2009.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2012.

422 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Kansas State Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students91%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A48%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7401 Johnson Dr