7-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Shawnee Mission North is a fantastic community! Supportive administration, great traditions, and students striving for success in academics and activities.

i like to see my friend every day and my teacher. i like to dance and sing, go to party to have fun

Shawnee Mission north high school is the best out there when it comes to being socially accepting. Coming in as a freshman this year, all I was worried about was "Is high school is bad as everyone says it is?" This one definetely isn't. I am involved in the theatre department and yearbook. It's very difficult to find someone not involved in something. Everyone is always so nice and the honor classes have great expectations. Shawnee Mission North high school so far, is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

SMN is a great school full of traditions and encouragement. Everyone is welcoming. It's really hard to find a student who isn't involved in multiple activities. The teachers challenge you, and are willing to work with their students and enjoy it. The Drama Department is one of the most inclusive groups. There are many different types of people involved in things like band, sports, DECA, robotics, and Dungeons and Dragons. This is a very diverse, encouraging, and welcoming school. I love attending North.

While attending Shawnee Mission North, I had always heard how well the S.M. schools ranked in the state, and even in national comparisons. I enjoyed my time at North and felt that I received a good education, especially from a public school. It wasn't until just a few years ago, when my employer and I were discussing education and how it can help shape who we are, that I realized how fortunate I was to have gone to a Shawnee Mission High School. My boss grew up in LA, attended Vanderbilt and previous to his VP position at our company, was a teacher/administrator in private education in the D.C. area. He taught classes attended by children of politicians and many of the (so-called) Washington elite. One day, when we were discussing how to solve the world's problems, I relayed to him my thoughts regarding what seemed to be the overall demise of education and halfway joked that maybe it's just that I attended a better school. He said, "Of course you did, you went to a Shawnee Mission school." I asked how he remembered where I went to high school and he said, "Anyone in education knows Shawnee Mission schools. You, for all practical purposes, had a private school education."

SMNHS ended up being the best thing that ever happened to my daughter during her teen years! We moved from Lee's Summit to Overland Park during her sophmore year in HS. Lee's Summit North was an awful school socially, it's more of a jock school, and the band was too competative, not an inspiring, safe environment. But SMNHS band with Mr Reed...OMG, what a wonderful experience, the district is so lucky to have him. He truly loves what he does, enjoys the kids, has fun with the kids, I can't say enough. Socially, SMN is very accepting, it's diverse, it feels like a community, the kids are passionate at football games, the drama club is spectacular, thank you SMN for a wonderful HS experience for my daughter and her parents.

I am currently attending Shawnee Mission North and it is the by far the best out of all the high schools in the Shawnee Mission School District. North is a very diverse school, no doubt; but students have to remember that they what get out of it what you put in. There are many extracurricular activities & a wide variety of classes to choose from. Also, tradition is a very big thing at North. This school is very safe and comfortable, it is very easy to make friends, and students get along very well with teachers. The Drama Department in North is outstanding! Same with the Art Department. There is a beautiful campus, and it has many windows, but since it was built in1922 and kept getting renovated and added on to, the layout is stringy. This school is anything but clique-y.

This is the original Shawnee Mission School and it has a beautiful campus. Three generations of my family have gone to school here. I have some very good memories of teachers and friends.

The teachers are great. The class choices exceed other schools.

My son attended a private elementary and middle school. When it was time to choose a high school, we were torn between a private school and North. I am happy to say that we chose North. My son has been extremely happy there. He is doing exceptionally well, taking both honors and regular classes. We feel he is being challenged by his teachers. He has met many new kids, is involved in numerous activities and sports. He has told me he's glad we made the choice we made. North has a lot to offer if you take advantage of it. A student gets out of it what he or she puts into it. We couldn't be happier!

Last modified Shawnee Mission North High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.