6-12 & Ungraded
Shawnee Mission, KS
Students enrolled: 1,865

Posted March 12, 2013
All 3 of my children attended West and while each had different interests, abilities and talents, all 3 received a solid education from excellent teachers and staff. Terrific variety of teams, groups, sports to participate in. The parent involvement and support is outstanding. One of the pluses with this school is the social and economic diversity. Kids are given lots of opportunity to develop leadership skills. West really is best!

Shawnee Mission West High School 1

Posted April 24, 2011
the school as a whole is pretty nice, but the teachers are so bad, everyone I know can do nothing but complain about them. that school has caused me more grief than bullying and death combined. and that's just disgraceful. I've attended that school for 4 years now, and my last day is May 13th, 2011. I gotta say that I've never been happier to leave anywhere in my life.

Posted July 08, 2009
I wouldnt say West is a rich school. More middle class than schools like SM East. Overall great school. Plus we've got the best football team in the area.

Posted May 05, 2009
I love West! My daughter graduated from here in 2006 and my son is now a sophomore. The teachers are great, they have a wonderful athletic program, and the parents are very involved. Not only that, but I truly appreciate the diversity found in this school....not only racial or ethnic, but also religious, economic, and social. We're going to be moving after this school year, and I'm going to miss it terribly!

Posted January 29, 2009
West has just added new wings, a track and gym so it now comfortably fits all it's students. I love it here and everyone is really nice and to be honest there isn't really any cliques

Posted December 29, 2008
It's a great school to attend. it's got many opportunities for students to learn and exercise their knowledge. the music and drama programs are outstanding, and the teachers do as much as they can to help out.

Posted September 15, 2008
It's a good school. The instructor's really care, and the drama and music is outstanding

Posted September 02, 2008
This school was a great school to get to go to. it was an honor to be a viking, but now im stuck at boring olathe east. Shawnee mission west was awesome students and teachers were great to work with, and the classes are not homework loaded. This school is GREAT!!

Posted October 05, 2006
i attend shawnee mission east high school, and would like to say that shawnee mission west is the best high school in the kansas area, maybe even the world

Shawnee Mission West High School

Posted October 27, 2005
West is a good school for students who fall in the norm category. (Norm: Students who need little or no assistance and get good grades.) However, if your child has trouble with behavior or learning, this school lacks the ability to meet your childs needs. My experience was poor at best with the teachers working with my students. The teachers and administration are quick to point out the problems but slow or non exsistant at helping to find positive solutions to students with challenges. The school as a whole is poor when it comes to educating 'ALL' students. More needs to be addressed with educating the teachers and administration on how to handle students who don't fit into the box they want them to.

Shawnee Mission West High School
8800 West 85th St, Shawnee Mission, KS  66212
Last modified Shawnee Mission West High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shawnee Mission West High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top