Bad
Good

Maude Bishop Elementary School

Posted March 04, 2010
The district seems to have addressed leadership issues and from what I can tell, there is more structure. I moved my two children from another 501 school to Bishop because of the convenience of the gifted services being offered. Fortunately my two got great classroom teachers as well as good enrichment from the exceptional ed programs. Sadly, we had to leave the district due to my job, but Bishop is definitely a neighborhood school and the parents and staff have a lot of pride in their school. My kids really enjoyed it! And although their test scores don't rank very high state-wide, I'd say it's one of the better in 501.

Maude Bishop Elementary School 2

Posted November 17, 2009
I have two children in Bishop, one in 4th grade and one in 2nd grade. They have been attending the school for the past 2 1/2 years. Some of the teachers are very good, but there isn't any overarching plan or leadership. My children have some noticable holes in their education, and especially it appears that during state assessment testing years, the kids are taught the test rather than how to actually use basic skills. Parents are not very involved, and there are communication problems with teachers not communicating what they need or what activities are going to occur far enough in advance for parents to plan these things into busy schedules. Bishop does have decent special needs support staff, my younger daughter had speech problems that were completely cured in less than 2 years.

Maude Bishop Elementary School 5

Posted December 18, 2005
My son started at Bishop in the 3rd grade this year. I am very pleased with the school not to mention my son actually 'LIKES' it :). Transferring him was the best thing I could have done!!

Maude Bishop Elementary School 5

Posted April 14, 2005
I have a child who is a 1st grade and this year has been great, she started in k and she loves mr thomas and the staff. Parents need to be more involved in the scool with there children, and they will know more what is going on in there children education. I am very involved in my child school and i have learned alot this past 2 years. When a parent is involved they get to know the principal more and also know the teachers. It is also important for parent to check there kids book bags for homework and notes, this year i found out that most parents don't even check there kids book bag and thats lack of parent involvement. People should not blame the teachers or the principals. Know the school before you judge it!

Maude Bishop Elementary School 2

Posted November 21, 2004
I have two children at Bishop. I am unhappy with the lack of leadership at the school, on the staff level. We feel that there could be more in the way of outside activites, field trips for both of my young children. The Principal is not plugged into the going on's at the school. The drop off and pick up is a nightmare! Where is the Principal at these times? I wonder who is in charge.

Maude Bishop Elementary School 3

Posted February 19, 2004
Bishop School has been a learning environment for my daughter for 6 years - she has started playing an instrument in the band - which is before school @ 7:15 am & 7:45 am - I have been very involved in the schools PTO & all activities - most of the parents aren't - some are though - I think more parents need to be involved and have more teachers involved with school activities. School should be a fun place for learning - lunches should be a fun time for kids - not a time to lose recess and privileges. Kids need to be kids!

Maude Bishop Elementary School
3601 SW 31st St, Topeka, KS  66614
Last modified Maude Bishop Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.