Bad
Good

I am a parent and have been very involved in this school. It's teachers and administrators are top notch. I was very disappointed to read the previous post and have to wonder if that person really knows what they are talking about. WRHS has the highest rates of achievement on state assessments, on the ACT and over 95 percent of it's students graduate. Not to mention the school was recently named as one of the Best Schools in America by a major news magazine. Even the Great Schools rating is an 8... compare that to other schools in the area! I love this school and what it has done for my kids. I'm confident that you will too!

School doesn't prepare students for college. Students are "not allowed to fail" so they're literally given multiple attempts to score higher on every test, in every subject. The overall GPA appears, therefore, to be impressively high,when, in fact, is nothing more than manually manipulated statistics. The problem is that students go on to college & struggle as tests are administrated ONCE. Students state they quickly discover their studyinggames skills are inadequate; they didn't have to study much in HS as they could retake tests up to 3wait times.

As a former student, I didn't excel at all in the "regular" high school, unless it was gym, music or a language class. My teachers didn't take the time to sit down and explain things to me. So I went to the Alternative High School upstairs. The teachers there are phenomenal. It is a very good school district, and my younger brother excelled. I just needed that extra bit of help and my teachers weren't willing to go that extra mile. I did enjoy my time at the school though. I was allowed to be myself, I wasn't forced to conform to anything. The only true issues with this school is, for all the security cameras they had, they didn't catch any of the people that were smoking pot on campus or dealing drugs. They caught all of the dress code violations though. There were too many fights to count and it seemed as if the security guards were just singling out specific people. If you didn't know your specific grades principal personally, you were all but screwed. All of that aside, I am glad I got my education at WRHS and I would do it all over again. Just wish the teachers there would take more time to work with individual students.

A very student centered school and, having had children go through the school at various times over the last 10 years, I can say that it hasn't always been that way. They've made great strides in the last several years to meet the needs of all students. I'm proud to send my children to WaRu and my kids feel like they are a part of something very special!

As a former student who has gone on to college I thought that the high school was challenging at the time but in hindsight I can't see anything but how much it's failed the current students. I took ap and honors and graduated with a unweighted 3.7 and I spend all my time studying in college because i never had to study for high school and this habit killed me my first term and I have been recovering my gpa ever since. I think that the school needs to have higher standards expecially in its since department and math. The history department is the only thing I believe is worthy ( or classes I took).

Washburn Rural High is an excellent school. They have had a new principal on board for the last few years that is outstanding, the classrooms are current with technology, and the students are most definitely encouraged to be unique individuals and strong in their academics. The number of offered clubs and extracurriculars is tremendous---I would recommend this school to all who are unsure about where to send their child for school in the Topeka area

I absolutely love WRHS! The teachers are a great help whenever I need it. The people there are friendly and I have very many friends. The academics are great as well as extracurricular activities. Im very glad that I go to WRHS.

WRHS is an excellent school as are all the schools leading to it. The vast majority of teachers, counselors, and administrators work for the best educations of the students. My kids have not always been happy with the grading scale (under 70% is no-credit) but that has only pushed them when they want to be lazy. Teachers have gone out of their way to help them understand and achieve.

Fantastic School! Great academic, athletic and activities programs. The staff is wonderful and the new Principal is awesome!

My boyfriend was taken out of his home and sent to The Villages (which affiliates with JJA Custodial services) in Sept. '06. Accordingly, he was extremely upset about such change occurring but was able to adapt fantastically. He absolutely loved attending Washburn Rural High and often tells fond stories of the time he spent there. With Washburn's help, he was able to excel academically and athletically--He wrestled for the school too. I would like to sincerely thank all who helped him turn his life around; it was a godsend.

Last modified Washburn Rural High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.