Northwest High School 1

Posted February 26, 2012
i attended Northwest from freshman to beginning of my junior year. i didnt like it and was harassed, i got into a few fights due to the constant harassment and was ALWAYS the only one taken to JIAC and suspended from school in all 3 cases, even though i didn't start any of the altercations. i then began feeling harassed by the WPD officer for our school my sophomore year, i transfered to another school and have progressed amazingly in my credits and expect to graduate a year early. i would not recommend attending Northwest High School.

Northwest High School 5

Posted May 19, 2010
As a former student (several moons ago) of this school, I can say that the school's challenging nature is its best characteristic. Honestly, several of the classes I took my junior and senior years were more difficult than the equivalent college classes. Such classes prepared me well for the rigors of collegiate academics. The teachers all want the students to achieve their highest potential, and one teacher even helped me to get my first job in my career field of choice. Admittedly, if your child is not self-motivated or only views school as a nuisance, they will probably have some trouble. It took me a few semesters to get adjusted to the rigors of Northwest after transferring from Wichita South (where I was far, far behind). If your student is motivated to learn, this is the perfect school for them!

Posted October 13, 2009

Posted August 31, 2009

Northwest High School 1

Posted October 19, 2008

Northwest High School 2

Posted July 20, 2007
As a former student of Northwest I will never allow my children to attend this school. I transferred to another high school my Junior year and was shocked as to how much I did not know. Care and concern for the children in the school is a last priority for the adults that are supposed to 'in charge'. The rules that govern the students are made simply for control and not for the greater good. The long lasting thing that I learned from my time at Northwest will always be Bullies always win.

Northwest High School 5

Posted November 20, 2005

Posted October 24, 2005
- a former student
This is definately one of the best highschools in Wichita. It has a great selection of extracurricular activities from sports to music and theatre. There are lots of AP classes available and I seriously loved most of my teachers. I was most impressed with the counselors. They really helped me find scholarships and without the senior counselor I might not have picked the right college. I also was able to get to know the principal and many other staff personally. I definately recommend this school.

Posted April 02, 2005
As the parent of a former student from Northwest High School, I rank Northwest as one of the best high schools that USD 259 has to offer. It has a variety of extra-curricular activites that each and every student may participate in, if they have the desire. The Northwest faculty expects each student to be committed to their education in order to be prepared for adult life after high school. In my opinion it is the parents responsibility to ensure that THEIR student is on task. I encourage each parent who states something negative about any public school in Wichita, to spend a day at school shadowing an administrator or a teacher. It will open up their eyes to see the challenges that school officials face on a daily basis. I have 13 years of volunteer service. Parents get involved! It makes a difference.

Northwest High School 3

Posted December 19, 2004
The teachers, specifically the Language Arts teachers, do not know how to work with students of other races or those who are not self-motivated or highly skilled. Unless your students are completely motivated and gifted, they will not find success at Northwest. The athletic teams and coaches are great, however keep your kids out of the cheer program. Sometimes this school does a few things right, but for the most part the teaching is sub-par, and favoritism is rampant. The administration are not leaders, they are out to protect teachers and coaches... not students. I would highly suggest keeping your kids out of the Wichita Public Schools, particularly Northwest.

Northwest High School
1220 North Tyler Rd, Wichita, KS  67212
Last modified Northwest High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwest High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top