No rating

Independent School

Private | PK-12 | 780 students

Living in Wichita

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $122,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $640.

Posted April 7, 2011

The size of the school allows my child to participate in any activity/sport she wishes to try. Very important to be able to try many different kinds of educational experiences without the fear of "being cut".

Posted April 7, 2011

My daughter graduated from The Independent School, and was there since she was four years old. Each year, I was astounded at how wonderful her teachers were, how much they loved and cared for my daughter and all of the students. The teachers and administrators helped me through the years, including letting me know that my daughter needed speech lessons in Kindergarten, needed glasses in third grade, helped counsel me, guide me, and made me a better parent. I was active with the parents group and it was a blast volunteering for all 14 years, and now I have more wonderful friends all over town. I can't rate this school high enough!

Posted April 7, 2011

We moved our kids from a local public school district to Independent six and a half years ago. What we like most about the school is the "small town," community feel the school has for our sons and daughter. The students all know and respect each other, and no one is categorized as being an athlete or a scholar or an artsy person. Any student can be all the things they want to be. My kids participate in sports, drama, debate, Scholar's Bowl, Mock Trial, student government, and dance team (not all at the same time!), all while learning and excelling in a strong college preparatory program.

Posted April 6, 2011

As a longtime Independent School family, we are thankful for the Independent School where our children feel at home, supported individually, challenged academically, and have been able to find their passions. We have a junior in high school and an eighth grader who, without exception, have been excited to get up and go to school every morning - what more could a parent ask for? With rigorous academics and inclusive (no cut) extracurricular programming, the Independent School is a great value - both financially and culturally with our own family values of learning to think critically, be a person of good character, work effectively on team efforts, and give your best effort always. Our son will graduate next year and is considering smaller colleges where he knows his professors, teachers, and coaches well and is known by them as an individual, just like his Independent School experience of thirteen years.

Posted October 4, 2010

TIS is not just a school...it's a community. Our children have attended this fantastic school for 10 years and we could not be happier. Each child is treated as an individual and every child can participate in a variety of extra-curricular activities. The teachers are exceptional, know every child, and truly care about children, the childs education, and their profession as educators. We are very pleased with the direction the school is heading.

Posted September 12, 2010

We have been part of the TIS family for 8+ years and we have seen all of the changes and the school has remained very strong. With the new leadership from Dr. Mary Dickerson, TIS feels more like home than ever before. The teachers are the best! They are passionate about their jobs, our kids and our school! We have many more years left at TIS and we would not think of going any place else! When our kids are at school we know they are cared for and they are being well prepared for thier future!

Posted June 3, 2009

My son has just finished his first year of middle school at TIS. It was an absolutely wonderful year and it was the best decision I could have made. I have known many graduates from TIS and speaking with them and hearing about their experiences and how TIS prepared them for college life and after was a huge part of my decision to have him here. The teachers are wonderful, qualified and caring. While some of the administration are young, they are passionate about the school and supportive of the students, faculty and TIS. I wouldn't have my child anywhere else, and although it is a financial sacrifice for me to have him here, it is worth every penny! I can with all honesty recommend The Independent School to anyone out there!

Posted May 16, 2009

My son has attending TIS for 3 years (K-2). We have seen some of the changes that have taken place. I believe in the schools mission and sometimes school get into a rut. The school is going thru the process to be ISACS member. This has really made the school even better. The teacher are wonderful and I can't see sending my son somewhere else.

Posted August 9, 2008

Between our children, they've attended TIS from Pre-K into high school. We're very concerned about the changes in the school recently. All 3 of the principals of the 3 schools have left, many many teachers have left the school, and the new administrators have little or no education or experience in school administration. Under the new accreditation they're moving to, teachers won't even have to have, or be able to renew, a Kansas teachers' license. The school likes to brag about the President's Blue Ribbon Award they were awarded in 2006 under the previous headmaster, but with the new leadership of the school and the high turnover of teaching staff, could TIS qualify for the award now?

Posted August 8, 2008

Our daughter has attended TIS 8 years (Pre-K through 7th Grade). Absolutely the best school. TIS was awarded President's Blue Ribbon Award in 2006. Qualified teachers, caring Staff members. Everything is first class!

Posted March 10, 2006

I attended Independent from 6 - 12th grades, and had a wonderful experience there. The school prepared me well for a challenging collegiate experience on the East Coast; I will be graduating 'magna cum laude' this May. I am still in contact with many of the wonderful teachers from Independent, and am excitedly watching the careers of my classmates as we graduate from schools like Harvard and Duke, KU and Texas A&M. Independent provided me with the opportunities to play on state-bound athletic teams, dance, sing in the choir, and serve our community. I will ever be grateful!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 11, 2005

This is my sons third year at Independent and he absolutely loves it! As parents, we couldn't be happier with the education he is receiving. The teachers are very caring and they know how to meet the needs of each particular student without taking anything away from the other kids. Our son is being challenged everyday and we feel confident that his Independent education will prepare him now and in the future for any college he chooses to attend. It is a wonderful school and we would't go anywhere else!

Posted March 18, 2004

Excellent education and financial aid is available to those who need! A great investment. The teachers are A++ and the classes are small. My daughter was slightly below grade level when she started, she is now working at or above level is all areas!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab