No rating

Independent School

Private | PK-12 | 545 students

Living in Wichita

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $122,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $640.

Posted August 31, 2014

My experience at this school during my child's admission process recently, was not up to the mark of a private school. I had to literally follow up with the admission head at this school for my child's placement test. There was no timely response for my phone calls or even emails. Also, there was lot of follow up from my side during the school record transfer as well. I'm sorry to say that the admission staff conducted very unprofessionally and lacked commitment in my case.

Posted February 10, 2014

I am a student here at the Independent School. I have been reading a lot of the reviews and most have been from parents of kids that go here. I decided to give my review of a student perception here at Independent. TIS is one of the few schools where you can do a variety of activities. As a freshman, I was able to play football, basketball, baseball, be in the band and in a play. There is no bullying in our hallways about what you do, what race you are, what religion you follow, or anything. Sure the curriculum is hard, but the teachers are there for yu and want to help. I fully reccomened this school.

Posted January 22, 2014

The Independent School offers what we have been looking for since our son was five years old. If your kids are bright, TIS will work with you to find the top level of their potential and help push them along to grow more from there. Instead of maintaining the attitude that, "He is doing well - don't worry, " TIS asks, "How well COULD he do?" and they help him find out. Excellent choice for kids who do well in school and are proud of it. Its THE Wichita school where winning a Chess Tournament, being in a play and being the varsity quarterback are all valued - by the kids(!), not just the parents. There is no pretension at TIS, also - no pressure to have more or behave as though you do. If you know deep down that you are looking for a cute campus and a prep school visual appeal, well, how silly of you! You are supposed to be looking for the right fit for your kids (I say that with love - I was looking for "cute" at first, too). TIS. Great challenge, great families, caring educators and fantastic kids. TIS helps good students become outstanding ones. See you under the lights, all you Panther fans!

Posted October 22, 2013

The Independent School is wonderful! My daughter attended there for 4 years, and the curriculum is not only well-rounded, flexible, and very-hands on, but also great for kids who maybe move at a little quicker pace than average. Great camps offered during the summer, and really interesting/unusual extracurriculars during the school year. The teachers and administration were amazingly helpful and caring towards all the students, and I was continually impressed by the amount of time and effort each person at the school was investing. Communication between the staff and families was great; we were always in the loops. We were very sad to have to leave last year (we live in a different town), and if we ever have the opportunity to return, we will take it in a heartbeat. Can't recommend this school enough.

Posted August 10, 2013

This school is simply outstanding! Our son has attended for one and a half years now. The teachers are compassionate and care about greatly about developing students academically and as people. The Lower School Head is a very good leader. The learning environment at this school is among the best. I would highly recommend this school. Our son has found a home.

Posted July 2, 2013

The Independent School has been a great choice for our children! The variety of opportunities available is unsurpassed in the area. The no-cut sports policy ensures that all kids get the chance to learn what it means to be a part of a team. The TIS community is accepting and kind to all families. I have found the Lower School principal willing to listen to my concerns even about minor things. He, as well as the Head of School, has an open door policy for students, teachers and parents. The teachers work together in a collaborative way that ensures everyone succeeds. The principal sets high expectations for the students and staff. We couldn't be more pleased with our choice!

Posted April 12, 2013

Great College Preparatory School! 2012 National Merit Finalists: 4 members from the Class of 2012!!!! (highest percentage of ANY school in Wichita or surrounding areas) Average Independent School students' SAT scores: 1810 (national average 1498) Over 60% of of TIS Middle School students qualify for additional enrichment through Duke University Talent Identification & Midwest Talent Search Programs 100% of Upper School graduates and goes on to college 43% of graduates go to Out-of-State colleges $3.2 million in scholarship offers Isn't this what you want for your child(ren)?! :)

Posted April 5, 2013

Our children have been at TIS for six years and we couldn't be more thrilled. Our children are thriving. They feel challenged and are motivated to excel. The teachers are exceptional and have met the needs of our children academially and emotionally. Our children are encouraged to participate in scholastic competitions, fine arts, and sports. We have seen our children grow and become mature, responsible young people and we feel we owe it to TIS. They love this school as much as we do and can't wait for next year!

Posted April 5, 2013

The Independent Lower School has been wonderful for my child! I have found the head of the lower school to be energizing and positive, and the teachers amazing! This has been one of the best choices we have made to send our child here.

Posted March 31, 2013

We love the lower school and several aspects of the middle and upper schools because the teachers are so well connected with the students. The education in the lower school is far superior than surrounding area schools. In some areas, that can be said of the middle and upper schools as well. However, the current Head of Lower school is unprofessional, curt with parents and down right mean to some staff while playing favorites with other staff. He actively seems to undermine school policies and the mission of the school as well as several efforts that the current head or active parents spearhead, mostly through his sheer inactivity and follow-through. Attempts to get him to properly do his job are frequently met with hot-headed redness and a verbal railing, even when he's been proven severely negligent. He lacks discretion or an understanding that parents pay his salary. Too many parents are voting with their feet.

Posted March 11, 2013

This is our tenth year at The Independent School. The education that our three children have received is far superior to that of their peers/friends at other private schools and at the public schools. Our children not only get an individualized education that challenges them, they are also encouraged to be good, kind citizens that give back to the community both locally and globally. Being able to grow and learn with classmates from all walks of life has taught them to be open and inquisitive. And as parents, we have always been encouraged to be involved in the process. We have frequent conversations with the teachers and with the administration to ensure that our kids are getting the most out of their College Prep education. The Independent School has given them a lifelong love of learning and the tools they need to be successful in college and beyond.

Posted March 2, 2013

My child has bloomed at The Independent School both academically and as a person. The teachers are very hands-on and help children discover their talents and teach them how to build on them. The graduates are prepared for college and I am impressed with the high school students who are so well-rounded.

Posted February 12, 2013

Our children all attended independent from pre-K thru 12. They were able to enjoy diverse friendships, explore a variety of activities without being pigeon-holded, including sports, drama, leadership roles and academic clubs. They are now nearly out of college and found the transition from Independent to college with ease. They were prepared and confident. It is a place of community for parents, teachers, and students. We as parents and students continue to share experiences as graduates of independent as life long friends.

Posted October 21, 2012

Great school. My son has attended since pre-K and loves the school. Excellent academics, fine arts and athletics. Standardized test scores meet or exceeds other ISACS schools. The only area ISACS certified school. The academic accompolishments exceeds other private schools in the Wichita metro area. Consistently have one of the highest percentage, relative to their student body size, of National Merit Scholars in south central Kansas. Not sure where other reviewers get their test data but check with school and you'll find out their test scores are exemplary. Catch It Kansas 2010-2011 state 3A all sports champions and consistently in the top tier 3A schools all sports rankings. Sports programs that encourage all students to particpate with 80+ percent of students in at least one sport. The biggest plus is my son enjoys going to school and what he learns is consistently a grade level above his friends that attend other area schools. Particpates in 3 sports and getting excellent education. Made the right choice 10 years ago. Highly recommend!

Posted September 13, 2012

Do your research! 5 years of this school and it was finally proven to me that their academics are below that of several public schools. in our 5 years, we saw so many turnovers in the school heads that I couldn t tell you our first one!! Beware!!

Posted April 13, 2012

As a parent and an educator who taught at top private schools on the East Coast, I can confidently state that the education at Independent is on par with competitive private schools. The school has undergone several difficult transitions over the past years with new heads, during which some standards dropped, but the current Head has put the school on a great track. Standards at every level are at or above the averages of top private schools, and our scores reflect strong academic skills. This is the only school in Wichita that is truly accredited through ISACS, fully financially audited and responsible, and on a trajectory to maintain and improve the college preparatory program. Independent School also boasts a great community of teachers and parents that work together, differentiation to the top as well as the bottom, hands-on learning opportunities, and a stellar arts/ performing arts program. For those families coming from the coasts this school does not look as posh and pretty as its local competitors, but it is the only school where the administration is clear on the purpose and goals of a private prep school.

Posted April 9, 2012

As a parent who is very involved with the school, I cannot be happier with The Independent School. Teachers are unique and bring out the best in their students. There have been many changes over the past few years and as change is usually scary, the changes at TIS have only made us a better school. The rapport between the staff members seems that of a family. The administration is strong at every level and our board of directors continue to provide a positive path for future growth. The preparation the students receive is measured by the ongoing academic successes---4 National Merits this year. There is no other school in Wichita for this family!!! For the families that left Independent, I wish them the best of luck!

Posted March 21, 2012

My children also went there for several years- this is our last. The standardized scores are below other private schools and in areas barely comparable with public schools. It probably was a good school in its day, but has had too much turn over. 3 heads of the whole school, 3 upper school heads, 3 middle schools heads, and 4 lower school heads in the past few years with 17+ teachers leaving the lower school in the same time frame. Good sales pitch, but there is no substance there. This is not even close to college prep! The curriculum is weak . The new administration is sweet but totally lost. Do not let your chidlren be a guinea pig there

Posted April 8, 2011

I have had two children attend The Independent School from Pre-K through High School. They have both had the best possible education that I could have hoped for. The school is small enough that they could try any activity that they were interested in and be able to fully participate. They were able to experience things that would have never been possible at a large school. They have both been fully prepared for college. My son's transition into to college was extraordinarily easy. The faculty is very nurturing, but it is very academically challenging at the same time. The other students are very accepting of new kids. I find the students to be very down to earth and easy to get along with. I am so happy that my children were lucky enough to attend the Independent School for their education.

Posted April 7, 2011

The Independent School offers a community experience and an exceptional education, both academically and in its athletics and arts. The school is now headed by Dr. Mary Dickerson who is a perfect leader for the school, and it will only get better under her leadership. The student body is diverse, and the students are taught to think independently. This is a great school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab