Wichita, KS

Independent School 3

Posted August 31, 2014
My experience at this school during my child's admission process recently, was not up to the mark of a private school. I had to literally follow up with the admission head at this school for my child's placement test. There was no timely response for my phone calls or even emails. Also, there was lot of follow up from my side during the school record transfer as well. I'm sorry to say that the admission staff conducted very unprofessionally and lacked commitment in my case.

Posted February 10, 2014
I am a student here at the Independent School. I have been reading a lot of the reviews and most have been from parents of kids that go here. I decided to give my review of a student perception here at Independent. TIS is one of the few schools where you can do a variety of activities. As a freshman, I was able to play football, basketball, baseball, be in the band and in a play. There is no bullying in our hallways about what you do, what race you are, what religion you follow, or anything. Sure the curriculum is hard, but the teachers are there for yu and want to help. I fully reccomened this school.

Posted January 22, 2014
The Independent School offers what we have been looking for since our son was five years old. If your kids are bright, TIS will work with you to find the top level of their potential and help push them along to grow more from there. Instead of maintaining the attitude that, "He is doing well - don't worry, " TIS asks, "How well COULD he do?" and they help him find out. Excellent choice for kids who do well in school and are proud of it. Its THE Wichita school where winning a Chess Tournament, being in a play and being the varsity quarterback are all valued - by the kids(!), not just the parents. There is no pretension at TIS, also - no pressure to have more or behave as though you do. If you know deep down that you are looking for a cute campus and a prep school visual appeal, well, how silly of you! You are supposed to be looking for the right fit for your kids (I say that with love - I was looking for "cute" at first, too). TIS. Great challenge, great families, caring educators and fantastic kids. TIS helps good students become outstanding ones. See you under the lights, all you Panther fans!

Posted October 22, 2013
The Independent School is wonderful! My daughter attended there for 4 years, and the curriculum is not only well-rounded, flexible, and very-hands on, but also great for kids who maybe move at a little quicker pace than average. Great camps offered during the summer, and really interesting/unusual extracurriculars during the school year. The teachers and administration were amazingly helpful and caring towards all the students, and I was continually impressed by the amount of time and effort each person at the school was investing. Communication between the staff and families was great; we were always in the loops. We were very sad to have to leave last year (we live in a different town), and if we ever have the opportunity to return, we will take it in a heartbeat. Can't recommend this school enough.

Posted August 10, 2013
This school is simply outstanding! Our son has attended for one and a half years now. The teachers are compassionate and care about greatly about developing students academically and as people. The Lower School Head is a very good leader. The learning environment at this school is among the best. I would highly recommend this school. Our son has found a home.

Posted July 02, 2013
The Independent School has been a great choice for our children! The variety of opportunities available is unsurpassed in the area. The no-cut sports policy ensures that all kids get the chance to learn what it means to be a part of a team. The TIS community is accepting and kind to all families. I have found the Lower School principal willing to listen to my concerns even about minor things. He, as well as the Head of School, has an open door policy for students, teachers and parents. The teachers work together in a collaborative way that ensures everyone succeeds. The principal sets high expectations for the students and staff. We couldn't be more pleased with our choice!

Posted April 12, 2013
Great College Preparatory School! 2012 National Merit Finalists: 4 members from the Class of 2012!!!! (highest percentage of ANY school in Wichita or surrounding areas) Average Independent School students' SAT scores: 1810 (national average 1498) Over 60% of of TIS Middle School students qualify for additional enrichment through Duke University Talent Identification & Midwest Talent Search Programs 100% of Upper School graduates and goes on to college 43% of graduates go to Out-of-State colleges $3.2 million in scholarship offers Isn't this what you want for your child(ren)?! :)

Posted April 05, 2013
Our children have been at TIS for six years and we couldn't be more thrilled. Our children are thriving. They feel challenged and are motivated to excel. The teachers are exceptional and have met the needs of our children academially and emotionally. Our children are encouraged to participate in scholastic competitions, fine arts, and sports. We have seen our children grow and become mature, responsible young people and we feel we owe it to TIS. They love this school as much as we do and can't wait for next year!

Posted April 05, 2013
The Independent Lower School has been wonderful for my child! I have found the head of the lower school to be energizing and positive, and the teachers amazing! This has been one of the best choices we have made to send our child here.

Independent School 4

Posted March 31, 2013
We love the lower school and several aspects of the middle and upper schools because the teachers are so well connected with the students. The education in the lower school is far superior than surrounding area schools. In some areas, that can be said of the middle and upper schools as well. However, the current Head of Lower school is unprofessional, curt with parents and down right mean to some staff while playing favorites with other staff. He actively seems to undermine school policies and the mission of the school as well as several efforts that the current head or active parents spearhead, mostly through his sheer inactivity and follow-through. Attempts to get him to properly do his job are frequently met with hot-headed redness and a verbal railing, even when he's been proven severely negligent. He lacks discretion or an understanding that parents pay his salary. Too many parents are voting with their feet.

Independent School