No rating

Covington Latin School

Private | 8-12 | 274 students

Covington Latin School is a co-educational, Catholic, accelerated, college prepa

Living in Covington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $620.

Posted June 8, 2013

The school is horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrrible, horrible completely horrible. 'Nough said.

Posted February 29, 2012

I am a Junior at this school now and I think this is one of the best schools out there. The teachers are all amazing and truly care about their students. The academic root that we are given is both challenging yet still attainable. Though having to suffer through two years of Latin (that being the only down side having to take Latin) I think this school is great

Posted June 28, 2011

Im a current student at this school. Going into my Junior year. Everyone here is a little wierd in their own way. Im pretty socially awkawrd sometimes, for example. You know, just not the "cool kids" at public schools. I would not fit in so well at a public school. This is the best environment i could ever hope for in a school. I fit in so well, and everyone is so nice,... we truly are a family at this school. Also an amazing education. The work is not difficult, it is all work ethic.

Posted December 10, 2010

My husband and three of our children attended Latin School. All of them loved it. It is challenging, but well worth the effort. The small classes are a plus and the new labs currently being built will only further the students' ability to do well in college and beyond.

Posted April 6, 2010

Who is that who wrote that their child complains?! This is the best school in the area an I couldn't possibly imagine goin anywhere else. There are many reasons I love it: excellent comunication between students, teachers, and parents; getting so well prepared for college; and the positive attitude of the faculty, staff, and students. I love Latin School and I hope any perspective students will consider Latin School and come to love it as much as I do.

Posted February 15, 2010

Do not come to this school. The Headmaster is horrible and the teachers cannot teach. My child constantly complains about his school. Do not come here

Posted September 24, 2009

What a unique and special accelerated program for those students who need it. Our experience over the past seven years has been contrary to the previous parent's comments. Some students do leave the program especially in the first years if is not a good fit for them (and funding is not the issue here). It is not that they are not supported by the wonderful staff and faculty. Quite the opposite if a student can and wants to succeed, there are many means of support, both academically, socially, emotionally and beyond. It is truly a family atmosphere that aims to bring out the best in all the students. Lifelong bonds between students, faculty, staff and families are the norm. I am proud that all my children have attended Covington Latin School.

Posted June 1, 2009

I do not recommend this school for two reasons; the first being that they do not support the children other than academically and second they are very stale academically and show no mental connection to their attrition rate of 2/3 and hence hiring a recruiter instead of spending those funds on keeping the kids they actually have.

Posted May 4, 2009

great cericulum, great teachers, great everything

Posted November 29, 2008

Excellent academics!! My child is a junior and we were very hesistant with choosing this school because we aren't catholic. they have been very accomodating and we are pleased with the academics he has received.

Posted November 13, 2008

As a CLS parent, I find that CLS carries the right balance between its rich tradition of classical education and the integration of technology. This summer we completed a survey for the school-the overall results were unbelievably positive; I've never been affliated with a place that people are so happy to be a prt of. Cincinnati Magazine rated them the #1 private school in NKY and in addition to the 100% college placement, 48% of the grads receive a masters-level degree or higher. This is an amazing institution where we value our best kept secret status locally-though not a secret to colleges and universities!

Posted September 21, 2008

I am a current sophomore (at CLS), and while many people think that Covington Latin will make their child socially 'shy' (cant think of a good word), they're wrong. I absolutely love it, the teachers pay extra special attention to you and your needs and the discipline is reasonable. This school is well worth everything that must be sacaficed.

Posted July 30, 2008

I am a previous student of Covington Latin. Although I did not graduate from there, it was a wonderful experience. I chose to leave after my Sophomore year and attend a closer public school. My decision was based on location and athletics. Although CLS does provide athletics, do to the commute, my parents were not able to commit to the extra miles and time. Latin school prepared me for College and was an academic challenge. I learned study skills and critical thinking techniques that I use today. I had no problem socially in College or working while in High School, even with graduating at a younger age. I would recommend Covington Latin School to any student who is not challenged in their current education system and are ready for an accelerated and increased study load.

Posted February 28, 2008

In response to Mr. Coleman, I would just like to say that, as a recent graduate, I have had no trouble making friends and integrating myself in a new setting - in this case small-village Germany. Furthermore, I consider every single member of my graduating class a 'friend' in the true sense of the word, so I can only imagine that his son's experience is either isolated, or a product of a different period in the school's history - in either case I do not feel that it reflects the school as it is now. I could not be more happy with the decision to attend Latin School - when I picture myself bored in a public high school classroom going over material ad ifinitum, rather than here in Germany, ready to go to college with 42 lifelong friends, I can't imagine I'd choose differently.

Posted October 20, 2007

This school is fun, exciting, and I love it! Since it is a small school, everyone knows each other, and you make friendships that will last a life time!

Posted August 30, 2007

Covington Latin School raises the bar for the gifted child. Our son has learned study skills, self discipline, time and resource management, respect for himself and others and has gained a healthy self esteem. The Classic curriculum at CLS is challenging and fast-paced and our son thrives on the challenge - instead of sliding through school, he has learned to work. CLS truly prepares students for college-level work and gives them a rock-solid base in a variety of disciplines. Expectations are high and there are plenty of supports in place - faculty or student mentors are available just for the asking. It is apparent to us that the faculty want every child to succeed. We ve watched our son s knowledge, understanding, compassion, and abilities grow exponentially over the past years. Though we re relatively new to the area (we knew no one at CLS when he started) within weeks our formerly shy child was socially integrated - he s happier than he s ever been. We count ourselves blessed to have found this safe, nurturing, challenging, and excellent school.

Posted August 13, 2007

I do not recommend this school for several reasons. First of all, this school shows extreme favoritism to the 'established' families (original donors from 20-50 years ago) of the school in grading and otherwise. Second, the school is behind the times. While other schools are picking up the pace on offering a varied curriculum in both academics and academics, this school is stuck in, well, I don't know when - I'd estimate 1985. Third, your child will not lead a healthy social life during or after this school. This school, as mentioned previously, also operates by clan regarding the social order of the kids. Based on what I observed before and after my child's graduation, the children that attended this school hardly made new friends in college. Try getting a job operating in that mindset. Ultimately,the very closed social atmosphere is very unhealthy for your child. Do NOT attend.

Posted December 6, 2006

My daughter went to another local private school in Northern Kentucky and was not at all challenged. She was receiving 99%, 100%, 104% (with extra credit). While she was not happy about leaving her friends behind, we made her change schools. In less than a week, she let me know that she loved Covington Latin School and did not want to go back to her other school. She is much more challenged and is thriving there. We are so happy that we are getting ready to have our next child take the entrance exam.

Posted December 6, 2006

My husband graduated from this high school many years ago and we had a son graduate in 2006 and a daughter who is currently a Junior at Covington Latin. The academic program is unparalleled in the Northern Kentucky region. The faculty is dedicated and extremely talented and qualified with many of the teachers posting 20+ years of dedication to the school. The social atmosphere of the school is kind and welcoming. The scope and availability of extracurricular allows each student to find a niche where they can be the best they can be where their talents lie. While it is not a sports driven school, in the past few years, students with athletic talent have claimed state titles in track and swimming. The school has contributed to my husband's success as an attorney and has launched my own children into paths of success. They truly teach 'goodness, discipline and knowledge'

Posted December 6, 2006

My three kis love CLS. They were quite bored in thier old private school. Found out they were ranked in the 99% on CLS entrance exam. They love school now first child has gone on to get his MBA and is in line to be one of the banks yougest vice presidents in his department.

Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 98% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
Clubs
  • National Honor Society

Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

Staff resources available to students
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Covington

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Team
  • Chess club
  • Drama club
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Junior Classical League
  • Literary magazine
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
SAT/ACT prep classes
College presentations or information sessions
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013