Covington, KY
Students enrolled: 1,016
After care: No

Holmes High School 4

Posted February 04, 2014
When I say I am a graduate of Holmes High, the usual response is "oh, I'm sorry." I cannot imagine why, because I'm not sorry at all! I loved my school! The majority of my teachers were of high quality, and the wide variety of educational opportunities available (Clubs, Sports, Music, Vocational training, AP/IB classes, Parenting classes so that being a teen mother/father was no longer an educational death sentence) trumped any school I had attended (and I attended many). No, our test scores were not the highest, but that has as much (if not more) to do with the lack of support students receive at home. Given the general low economic level of the school population (I think in my time there it was something like 30% were at or below poverty level), parents are either working 3 jobs and too tired, or have given up and stop caring. They can't/ won't expect more of their children, so students learn not to expect more for themselves. Against a constant flow of apathy from the students, even the most engaged and well-meaning teacher can lose his/ her dedication. Get parents interested in their child's education, teach students to expect more, and you'll see the scores improve.

Holmes High School 0

Posted February 24, 2010
This is the worst school in the state and I would go so far to say that it is one of the worst in the country. I attended a different school every year of my education untill I arrived at holmes at the end of my tenth grade year. I went to school in Texas, Ohio, Navada, and others schools in Ky. The teachers are horriable the students don't care and only about 2% of the parents even know there is a holmes high school. Stay away from this place please for your sake or for you childs sake

Holmes High School 1

Posted April 23, 2008

Holmes High School 3

Posted May 21, 2007

Holmes High School 3

Posted April 17, 2006
I think that holmes is a good place to go to school, most of the teachers at homles are there to teach and want the kids to learn. But on the other hand there are some that could'nt care about the student or their education. I believe that the test school are so low beacuse the students arent willing to take the test seriously, for the main simple fact is that the principal puts alot of pressure on us ( the students ). We understand that the tset score arent high, and most of us want to change that but we got to be encouraged to do it instead of forced.

Holmes High School 1

Posted February 22, 2006

Holmes High School 2

Posted December 31, 2005
I think Holmes has the potential to be a great school again. Last time I checked diversity does not get you a deceit job. With the right principal and vice principals who takes responsible for this students testing in bottom 10 schools in the state and the overall bad climate at Holmes maybe we can move forward. They need to become proactive instead of reactive. With a 97.5% graduation rate and a 28.1% college attendence rate I see a problem. Lets face it sports and extracurricular activites are not that important when you are sending out McDonald employees instead of future City Commissioner, Mayor, teacher etc.. I know the level of Parent involvement is horrible but, as a parent of Holmes High student I personally am trying to get my Community more involved. I believe Holmes is in dire straits and needs a face lift.

Holmes High School 5

Posted December 01, 2005
Holmes is one of the best schools in KY because even though it is lacking in academic status it teaches our kids to grow up to become respectable adults who don't judge others on race or sexuality. Which unlike other schools we are very diverse and contriversial.

Holmes High School
25th and Madison Ave, Covington, KY  41014
Last modified Holmes High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holmes High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top