Crestwood, KY

South Oldham Middle School 4

Posted October 24, 2011
I have been very impressed with both the creativity of the teachers, the responsibility students must have in presenting their own work during student led conferences (and teachers are right there if you need to talk to them), the fantastic choir program (they compete, go to operas, sing with the Louisville Chorus), and the challenge that is given to my child who is in geometry in 8th grade - 2 years ahead for her grade level. The teachers are incredibly creative (Mr. Adkisson is award winning), they keep in touch with parents weekly, and parent portal works great for keeping track of your kids grades. Extra-curriculars like KYA and KUNA, Beta Club are fantastic learning opportunities for kids. The athletic coaches are supportive and go out of their way on their own time, even on week-ends to help kids improve in their athletic skills. It rated #1 in the state for reading and math for public schools their size in 2011.

South Oldham Middle School 2

Posted August 04, 2010
This school needs a change of leadership. Unless your child is great in math don't expect a quality education preparing them for high school and beyond. There is no one to turn to if your child is having problems and they pay lip service to your concerns. There are some good teachers but they do not get to teach -- everything is about stats. They do not challenge the students who are not superstars in math. Not a good experience at all.

South Oldham Middle School 4

Posted July 14, 2010
Thank you SOMS. Middle school can be a scary time but thanks to SOMS it wasn't so scary for our daughters. from our experience with other middle schools, SOMS was fantastic. Teachers are attentive and parent involvement is at a premium. both my daughters look forward to going to school every day. And thats saying something for middle school... I don't know many people who can say they ever enjoyed "middle school".

South Oldham Middle School 2

Posted February 03, 2010
Having moved from out of state, and told Oldham has best schools in the state, we moved here thinking the would be similar to our prior state's education level. Since we lived elsewhere, our expectation of what a school provides is definitely different than other parents that grew up here and only know the KY way of schooling. Focus is on meeting state standards, which is important, but not at the expense of teaching spelling, and grammar. The school is overcrowded and needs to be improved with teacher/student ratio, hopefully that is in the plans? We will be moving our children from this school because of the lower academic standard, physical building and weak athletic programs that are provided compared to the schools we are more familiar with and unfortunately have came to expect from school systems. The parents are very involved and make the school work!

Posted January 20, 2010

South Oldham Middle School 3

Posted August 06, 2009
I had concerns about my child at this school. The principal and staff talked at me regarding these concerns-I couldn't get one word in. I would like it better if they listened to me and my child more and defended their school a bit less (and tried not to undermine me in the process). I too am not a fan of the student led conferences. I got no one-on-one time with the teachers. I have had some bad experiences with my child being bullied. I think these problems can be managed but as a parent I've had to get heavily involved in order for my child to have a decent experience there. There is much room for improvement.

Posted August 02, 2009
South Oldham Middle School is a great place with many opportunities for the students. It's a healthy, comfortable environment that's easy to learn in. The staff and teachers are amazing! It's really a place i don't mind going to almost every morning :) It's an excellent school, and every student deserves it. :) GO SOUTH!

South Oldham Middle School 0

Posted July 21, 2009
It's a good school, great teachers that actually give you the attention you need. I've attended South for a year now, and love it for the most part. :)

South Oldham Middle School 0

Posted April 21, 2009
Our family is new to the whole middle school scene. So far SOMS seems to be pretty good. The Retriever teachers are really good responding to any concerns sent via email. The office staff for the most part is pretty friendly and helpful. My child has been involved in 3 different sports, 2 of the 3 were very unorganized w/ very little communication which is very disappointing and frustrating. I really don't like the 'student led conferences' I feel it is a waste of time and doesn't give parents much 1on 1 time to speak with the teachers. I really don't know any more than I do prior to the conference. As with any school there are pros and cons.

Posted February 09, 2009
I think that south is a great school, because my kid loves it and dose not want to go to high school. Also they have a great education and so i dont have to worrie about my kid not getting into collage.

South Oldham Middle School
6403 West Hwy 146, Crestwood, KY  40014
Last modified South Oldham Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Oldham Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top