Boone County High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 14, 2014

This is my first year at this school (2014) and I like the teachers but I find the school to be really nasty

Posted April 23, 2014

Its not even worth a star this school is the most disgusting and pathetic excuse for a school I have not learned anything I check my seat before I sit down just to make sure there's not a freaking bug in it everyone you ask will agree that this school is never clean not once have I seen a janitor cleaning and I've been here 2 years. If you get stuck having to go to Boone you're doomed its a dead end school that's why I'm getting out while I still have a chance to have a future.

Posted April 2, 2014

Our family has always had "HUGE" team spirit for the Rebels. I graduated in the 80's from BCHS. My oldest son graduated in 2012. Currently our middle child is attending Boone. All of the staff and teachers have been exceptional to say the least, with very good communication by calling/email/meetings....etc. Boone County always offer several different programs to help/serve students as well as parents. Our motto is to know that we are not special, that we must work to make ourselves special and always reach for the stars......as we do!! Thank you to ALL at Boone County, we love you very much!!

Posted March 7, 2014

There is a serious problem at this school with anti-Muslim prejudice and discrimination. Some teachers and administrators are nice, but some are very discriminatory. This is unacceptable as there is a new demographic in the Northern Kentucky area and there are many recent Muslim immigrants as well as the children of converted Muslims. They deserve the same consideration as the middle class white students. 30 years ago there was a problem with teacher-admin discrimination against black students. Does the fact that some of the Muslim students are black have anything to do with the problem?

Posted April 3, 2013

Boone County high school is only focused on punishment and sports, its dirty and the teachers do not teach anything. No extra credit opportunities are giving to those who need it/ deserve it. and I have yet to meet a staff member who is not abusing their authority. Also the failure rate is increasingly going up. Freshman Academy is not what it is made out to be. Yes if you work you can manage a good grade, but we should not all be Busing our buts to barley pass with a D- if you attend the schookl more that 3/4ths of the students agree.

Posted September 14, 2012

Boone county high school is one of the best. The staff is very concerned with my sons progress and I have never had any issues with getting in contact with any member of the staff be it a teacher, counselor or principal. My son is currently in the 11th grade and we are very involved with his education and meet twice a year to make sure he is on track to graduate and meet his goals. I have never been made to felt uncomfortable or treated badly because of my involvement.

Posted January 11, 2012

BCHS is an amazing school. BCHS has so much to offer as long as the student is willing to put fourth the effort to actually try. I took many advanced courses my senior year that helped me greatly in college I've met numerous people who didn't have half the opportunities that BCHS provided (course wise) provided for me. The teachers are great and willing to help- need to get to know them. My only complaint has always been the student body acting immature, making it difficult to enjoy class. I find a few of the rules such as being in the hall 1 second after the bell resulting in a penalty as being a bit meticulous. Either way, it is a good school-make the best of your education and you'll go far.

Posted August 4, 2011

Boone County is a terrible school. There are only a few select teachers that will teach and make the students strive to become something greater. Most of the teachers that have tenure fell as if they no longer are required to do work, they are more like ornaments. The school is dirty, and has problems with pest including cockroaches and mice. At one point we played a game to see when the cockroach in a classroom would die. The school focuses most of it's money into sports, when much of that money should be spent on adding classrooms. the administration has no control,

Posted September 17, 2010

As new transplants, I am happy my daughter has integrated fully and is enjoying BCHS; her teachers especially! HOWEVER-I am very disappointed in one member of the guidance staff who unfortunately is assigned to my daughter's grade level. During the summer, I made every effort to ensure there were no glitches with enrollment. I was told the Counselor would call to schedule an enrollment meeting. The guidance counselor never returned my calls and ignored my husband when he went to the school ( too busy ). It wasn t until I contacted the Principal the afternoon before school started that anything was done-then she told the principal she had left me a message! My daughter did not get to start on the first day-because after finally getting her enrolled-the counselor took a lunch break and sent someone else to tell us she could not find a student to take her to her classes. This counselor seemed uncaring, disinterested, and appeared to resent my persistence. I did not tell her that I am certified Guidance Counselor.

Posted October 7, 2009

i loved my few months at Boone i made great friends and my teachers were very helpful **previous student (transfered out)

Posted September 9, 2009

I liked going to boone county it has great teachers and principals

Posted April 26, 2009

As a BCHS teacher, I care about the well being of my students, intellectually, mentally and physically. I can tell you with no uncertainty, the same holds true for my teacher peers. The BCHS student population is as diverse as it is intelligent and creative. They are (with few exceptions) courteous and respectful. While some students require more time and motivation than others, most are ready and willing to become participants in their own learning. The students of BCHS desire the same things from life as the rest of us: They want to be respected, valued for their talents and potential, and treated fairly. At BCHS, we challenge students to consider their (and other's) ways of thinking, to consider the way in which they value and evaluate, to ferret out and identify personal connections with the curriculum. I am proud of my students. I am proud to be BCHS teacher.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 16, 2009

I lived in Florence ky most my life i think its an ok school , most of teachers are nice and they try to keep you on track they are kinda strict,they dont accept any bullying tolerated thats good, the food could be better, more heathy with better options i think they should have other sports beside basketball , volley ball etc.

Posted July 29, 2008

Boone County is a GREAT high school with a fantastic caring staff and friendly students. I could not be happier with this school.

Posted February 19, 2008

Can't see any teaching being done for all the corruption and disrespect with not only each other but the teachers as well. Fighting is not only upsetting but affecting the learning atmosphere. All the daily corruptions are swept under the rug and on to the next class.

Posted March 28, 2007

My son is a soph/jr, he doesn't have enough credits to officially be a Jr. In the 8th grade he went to Holmes Jr/Sr High School. He was on the A/B honor roll. My goal was to get him into Boone because I assumed it was a better school, in every aspect. He failed 9th grade. I also agree that there needs to be more parent involvement, but everytime I have been to the school, for any reason, I was made to feel unwelcome, like I shouldn't be there. I feel my son would have gotten a better education at Holmes. But now we're in the home stretch...our only goal now is for him to graduate.

Posted January 3, 2006

I am also a parent of TWO seniors and one sophomore and my husband graduated there. The principle's job IS to be seen and to be accessible at all times. The goal should be education, not discipline so the comment about asst. principles is out of order. This is a school to 'get by' not one for preparation of life. Boone County needs a voucher system for private schools because my tax dollars aren't serving us well. My answer is not to go elsewhere but rather to ensure what I pay for is utilized in the best interest of educating our future leaders.

Posted December 4, 2005

This school is what I would call an average school. I've been to schools in Vermont and Indiana, so I've seen several different systems and have been involved with more than one kind of administration. Boone's problematic administration is not rooted within it's principal so much as the lack of parent involvement. About one out of 10 student's Mum and Dad go to any sort of meeting at school. Most teacher's are not even present at parents night because they know they'll only be visited by one or two parents, if any at all. The administration has nothing to hold itself to because nobody cares enough to wonder how their kid's day went. Fights occur somewhat often, and the attidude of the students encourages it. Faculty has a policy where combatants are simply thrown out rather than councilled, and thusly the problem is 'swept under the rug' rather than fixed.

Posted November 29, 2005

While I agree with the two reviews that say you get out of school what you put in it, I agree with the students point of view more. I have no confidence in the administration at all. I've had several problems with different principals and have only see the head principal once and she only spoke about 2 words. My daughter does not complain about the other students, it's the the principals and some of the teachers (not all). Two in particular are complete idiots. They don't teach, they have no control over their classes and my daughter learned nothing. And by all means, don't call the office and speak to a principal about a problem. Nothing will be done and they will make you feel like you have no business calling. Change the administration and the school could be saved. Don't, and there's no hope.

Posted November 15, 2005

It makes me mad to see what some people write about our school on here, as a student i am at school every day and really enjoy it as well as many other students. The sports teams are good and the principals try hard to keep us safe. I have noticed many of the students that do not enjoy themselves at school are the ones that do not care and that do not to try to get involved or make friends, if you dont even try or seem interested at all then that is no ones problem but yourself you get out of it what you put it no one can make you have fun and get involved if you wont even give it a try.

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 51% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 36% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

313 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Mechanics

White65%
Economically disadvantaged50%
Students with disabilities16%

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 41% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 41% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 36% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 36% in 2013.

n/a

English II

The state average for English II was 56% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 51% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky administered the End-of-Course (EOC) assessments. EOCs are tests given to public high school students when they complete a course to assess their knowledge of important course concepts. They are similar to a final exam, except that they are created and scored by an outside testing company, ensuring that the tests are both rigorous and aligned with state and national college readiness standards.

Algebra II

White70%
Economically disadvantaged64%
Students with disabilities17%

Source: Kentucky Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20141What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20142What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20143What's this?

State

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 K-PREP and EOC results from the Kentucky Department of Education.

2 This rating is based 2012-13 median growth percentiles from the Kentucky Department of Education.

3 This rating is based on average composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7056 Burlington Pk