PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Lexington School has a unique vitality that you won't find anywhere else. Class sizes are small, so kids are known and understood. They can trust their teachers, so they stretch and challenge themselves in a way that allows for mistakes which leads to greater learning. TLS is academically rigorous but in a way that provides an active-learning and multi-sensory approach so kids learn how they learn best, and they take away skills that work for them long after the content has faded. These skills are most important as students grow towards jobs that don't even exist yet. At TLS, we teach courage to try new things, to not be perfect, to learn from our experiences. Here kids learn to be curious, creative, resilient, and collaborative. It is the most innovative learning environment in central Kentucky, and our student go on to high school extremely prepared for where ever their passions lead them next.
September 28, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

As a parent who went through the public school system, I sometimes question whether or not the sacrifice and expense are worth it. In addition to my own child’s happiness and love of his school, this independent ranking validates that TLS is a place of exceptional academic standards. It also affirms that, yes, a private school education at TLS is worth it.

Our daughter is in her first year at TLS and we already see a positive change in her confidence and self-esteem. The school has top notch teachers and creates an amazing sense of community that welcomes new families. I can't say enough wonderful things about the environment that the school provides, the education they provide and creativity they encourage!

I cannot imagine another school in the country where kids adore their teachers like they do at TLS. Mr. Johnson and our son are lifelong friends for sure! What a privilege it has been for us to watch their relationship grow and flourish. It is a special place.

I have a negative view of this school. I would not recommend this school to anyone, there are better options.

Teacher effectiveness: no rating

The school's professional development focus is likely the best offered in Lexington. The professional development committee is well-funded, and we send teachers to conferences and PD experiences throughout the year. Our teachers also present at national conferences. We are leaders in education, innovative and professional, and we host as much professional development as any other educational institution in the region.

Amount of homework: no rating

We want all children to be well-rounded children, yet we do believe that time management is an essential 21st century skill. Homework is appropriate to grade level, moderate, but most importantly, it is effective. No busy work allowed, TLS students learn from work at home.

Develops character: no rating

Treat everyone with courtesy and respect. That is the discipline mantra of The Lexington School. If courtesy and respect happens, then no other problems will result. When mistakes are made, each mistake is dealt with in its own way, and each mistake makes way for a teaching moment of its own. The resolution is an opportunity for growth.

I have 3 kids at TLS, and I think it is wonderful, one of my kids at ADHD (attention and non-attention) and TLS created a learning plan for her, and she is doing well. My oldest is in 4th grade having left public school due to some behaviors, and disciplining techniques I didn't approve of; TLS has none of those problems and my kids love the school, even my oldest who was very pessimistic about being the new kid.

I am a former TLS parent whose child is now in high school, and I couldn't be more pleased with her transition and success. The Lexington School is an extremely nurturing environment where she felt loved and cared for, and where teachers, in small classes, were able to know her individually and help her maximize her potential. Additionally, while there were many opportunities for challenge and competition, the atmosphere at TLS was not all about winning and competing. Instead, it was about being a part of a team and doing your best. Although she enjoys high school, she misses her years at TLS. It was the best investment we have ever made.

Last modified The Lexington School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8