No rating

Community Montessori School

Private | 192 students

Living in Lexington

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $700.

Posted Sunday, July 27, 2014

CMS IS NOT UNDER ATTACK BY ANYONE OTHER THAN THEMSELVES!!! The board and only the board has let this circus go on far to long. By the way there are board members whose children or grandchildren have left this school. Do your homework!! Ask questions about how a experimental combined classroom of 50 4-6 graders with one teacher for 1 year of the 2 years failed miserably. Only the children lost in that one with standardized test dropping 30% or more. Was this AMI approved ? Ask how many teachers have left in the past 5-6 years Ask why the middle school collapsed and every teacher including the secretary left. Ask if it is AMI approved that 4-6 graders should be in the same school as middle schoolers. CMS has ONLY themselves to blame. Make the right choice for your child and go elsewhere.

Posted July 8, 2014

Do your research on all of the CMS staff members. Ask for enrollment numbers 2011 - present, including the number of middle school students enrolled for the 2014-2015 MMSK school year. What happened to all of the MMSK teachers? Why did they ALL leave? Grace and courtesy? They should look into practicing what they preach.

Posted June 24, 2014

There are just too many things wrong with this school to list them all here. If you decide to send your children here after seeing all of the warnings posted by families who have suffered, then unfortunately your children will suffer from your choice. Do not go to this school. If you want Montessori there are several other options in the central Kentucky area. For the price you pay in tuition for any of them, it is worth the drive. I wish I could give zero stars and get back the tens of thousands of dollars we have spent before realizing our grave mistake and witnessing the only good teachers leaving year after year. Only one teacher remains that taught at CMS two years ago.

Posted May 28, 2014

I cannot believe I paid for an education for my child in this disorganized, financial mess of a school. My child's teacher needs to retire, and the school needs some real leadership to ensure a quality education in EVERY classroom. So glad this year is over and we can move on to a better decision next year.

Posted March 18, 2014

I have two children at Community Montessori. We have been very pleased with this school. When I was searching for a school for my children, I went to observe in a classroom for children ages 3 through 5. I was amazed to see the order in the classroom with such young children. Children are allowed to choose their work based on their interests. My oldest is now 7 and in the next level classroom, and we have continued to be impressed with her academic achievement and pursuits. It makes sense that having the freedom to study that which is of interest to the student makes a big difference in the depth of learning that occurs. This school is a part of the Association Montessori Internationale, which is quite rigorous, requiring review every three years. It is my understanding that it is the only school in the city with this distinction. I feel that my children have been nurtured at this school by a community that truly cares for them. I have no doubt that the love for school that my children have is because of this wonderful learning environment. If you are looking for a school for your children, observe a classroom here. I am willing to bet that you will look no further!

Posted March 14, 2014

Three family members are or have been through CMS and MMSK. My niece is excelling in the IB Program at TCHS - 30 on her ACT, varsity softball, a job, and a social life. My nephew will be at TCHS next year doing the Pre-IB program. My daughter is in the equivalent of 1st grade at CMS. What I have noticed: - The school is incredibly down to earth - no pretension. I was concerned about this as we considered private school. The parents that are drawn to the program are the same way. Everything at CMS is about the kids and their betterment. - Tuition is low b/c the administration constantly strives for Montessori education to be an option for as many kids as possible. MMSK charges the same no matter which Montessori school you come from b/c of a spirit of inclusion. - Being a recognized AMI school (only one in Lexington) is important to me. I feel that it is the "unadulterated" method which hasn't been adjusted for convenience. Its a difficult accomplishment to obtain and maintain and I admire its requirements. - Grace and courtesy is a way of life, not just a motto. I think integrity could be very easily added to this mantra. I'd give it 10 stars if I could.

Posted March 12, 2014

I wish I could give zero stars. My child has been at CMS for 2 1/2 years. The teacher of the class we are in apparently needs to retire. She just seems tired and lacking the knowledge to teach well. Add to that a total financial debacle that is leading to uncertainty for the future of the middle school. I'm not sure what we will do next year, but I can't recommend that anyone go to CMS.

Posted February 22, 2014

I have had one or more of my three children enrolled at CMS almost continuously since 2000. My daughter is at a very exclusive arts academy now (senior year) and is excelling, thanks in large part to her amazing education at CMS (through sixth grade). The Lexington community is fortunate to have such a great Montessori school.

Posted February 5, 2014

We have been nothing but pleased with this school and its cultivation of our 4 year old daughter's manners, vocabulary, reading and math skills. This is her second year attending and it has been truly amazing to watch her grow into a kind and curious little person. We feel comfortable discussing concerns as well as praise with teachers and administration. We feel very lucky to have found such a perfect fit for our family.

Posted December 2, 2013

My daughter has been at this school for many years and has had a very positive experience. It is sad to me when adult behavior affects their children. I have always seen our school as a Community and there is nothing worse then showing our children such poor behavior. Our school is strong, our teachers are great, our kids are not only well educated but are good citizens. I am proud of our school and its teachers. Its sad when a teacher gets fired, but in the real world that happens every day, so its time to move on and support your Community.

Posted September 16, 2013

My children went to this school for 3 years. In the end we chose to leave CMS because we didn't feel that parent's concerns were taken seriously and the office staff appeared to be spreading rumors about their own teacher in a sad attempt to keep others from going to a new school that this teacher was starting. It was too much for our family. Our children no longer go to a Montessori school and we are sad that our Montessori experience was so negative. Many many families left CMS and left Montessori in general due to the staff's inability to handle the termination of an employee in a respectful and professional way. It shed light on how things were run there and we among many others wanted no part.

Posted September 16, 2013

I am sad to post this negative review of Community Montessori School. Unfortunately, my child not only did NOT progress at CMS, but scores on the CATs test and qualitative measures indicate she has actually regressed in language arts, mathematics, and social studies over a 2-year period. In 4th grade, when she entered CMS, her math score was in the 70th percentile (the 6.4 grade level). At the end of 6th grade, the score was in the 39th (the 6.2 grade level). Similar drops were evident in language arts and social studies. Standardized measures don't capture a child's entire educational experience, but they DO measure attainment of basic skills. These drops are horrifying. Her current 7th-grade teachers can tell she missed huge chunks of 6th-grade material. Her social studies teacher asked me today if she had social studies at her previous school. In the end, my child s teacher could not tell me what skills she had, was missing, or what she had done to teach. Please do research before making the mistake I did. Do not listen to the rhetoric on teaching "the whole child." Those words should never be used as an excuse to dismiss a child's development of critical skills.

Posted September 13, 2013

Being at CMS for many years, I absolutely love it! My child has excelled greatly over the years here and is not only doing fantastic, but loves it as well! I couldn't be more pleased with the school and staff. A few months back, a teacher was fired from the school and it is unbelievable how much better the environment has become now that the teacher and all of those negative parents, who seem to think it's only about them and their opinions, are gone. Our family couldn't be happier at CMS!

Posted July 9, 2013

I was skeptical of private schools and costs but have come to really appreciate the learning environment and supportive community at CMS, as well as it's relative value to the kids. It's unfortunate that some of the latest low ratings take away from this excellent school. These rants are primarily about the unhappiness and associated defense of defecting instructors who were insubordinate, ineffective, and basically were encouraged or told to leave, then decided to set up their own school nearby. The unflagging resolve of the school community in the wake of this incident made me want to stay even more, and we will enroll another child this fall. My child loves the afterschool program and it's convenient for us that he is learning and being active in a safe, well-mannered and respectful community while we finish work. The fact is that most parents there are high to upper income earners that can be both a blessing and a curse depending on their attitudes. Some are uppity, overdemanding and critical of anything they don't agree with (see other comments), while others that work 80hrs week still humbly volunteer to mow the grass; the latter are thankfully the vast majority.

Posted April 18, 2013

This used to be a great school, but is has gone down-hill. Stressed out teachers, who are not trusted are leaving. Parents taking their kids elsewhere. Sad to watch.

Posted April 7, 2013

Reading some of these past reviews, I am a little confused on some of the negative things they are saying? We have had several of our children attend this school over the past few years and still have two there. All of our children have received an excellent education and we could not be happier! What an amazing environment for them to learn and play. As parents, we are encouraged to talk to the staff with any concerns we may have and to attend monthly board meetings which update us on how everything is doing. If any of my child's teachers have ever had concerns, those have been addressed with us and we were able to fix them immediately. What an amazing and beautiful environment for our children to learn, play, and grow into the wonderful citizens they are today. We could not be happier with this school and all the wonderful staff. We cannot thank them enough for all they do and have done for us.

Posted April 2, 2013

Parent concerns are not taken seriously by the administration or the board. Children are sent home with injuries that staff did not notice. Information about the new director was withheld from parents.

Posted April 2, 2013

I too have seen academic standards decline. They have replaced 4 assistants this year, are replacing three of the seven head teachers for next year and have lost nearly 30 students this academic year. The administration and board make light of serious concerns put forth parents. Many board members no longer have children in the school yet are making decisions that affect the current student body. Parents are not encouraged to participate in the school except for their fundraising and volunteer obligations. Teacher-initiated communication is nearly non-existent. Parents who bring up issues are made to feel like their child is the only one experiencing the problems. The 55-student upper elementary class is problem even if the administration maintains it is working well. I was made to believe my child was the only child struggling, only to later find out many of the children in the class are having issues with the teacher and class size. In my child's class there were no clear goals, accountability or follow through. Do your research, compare enrollment between fall 2012 and 2013, google the current director and her previous school, ask about school finances.

Posted April 2, 2013

I am an alumni of CMS and have very fond memories of my time at CMS. However, the school today is not what it was when I attended. It is now about money and very little about children's education. Look at the data and you will find that three excellent teachers will no longer be at CMS next year. While the adminstration is more concerned about lining their pockets with six figure incomes, the school's quality has declined dramatically. Just this school year, around 20 parents have removed their children from CMS due to concerns about learning environment, quality of education, faculty burn out, health violations and administation. This is not the school I attended and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Posted April 1, 2013

Community Montessori has a long-standing reputation of consistently excellent staff, certified instructors, and caring community of families. They remain open and honest about growth and issues and remain true to the pedagogy of the original Maria Montessori methods. This is one of the top schools in the area and worth examining!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

166 Crestwood Drive