Lexington, KY

Stonewall Elementary School 3

Posted November 05, 2014
I wanted to love this school. I wish I did. I have a now 3rd grader who has attended since he started Kindergarten. His initial K teacher was horrible. She had distinct favorites and set up an environment that encouraged bullying. I did, thankfully, find the counselor and principal receptive in addressing these issues. Though it is concerning that she continues to teach (tenure). His other teachers, thankfully, have been better than the K teacher, but have still been a mixed bag. Communication is inconsistent between teachers. Some have been great, some have relied solely on my child to relay messages. There are great afterschool programs (ESP, tennis, science club, chess club, to name a few). The school makes a strong effort to be inclusive, but my son has also experienced institutional racism, though I know this isn't exclusive to Stonewall. Stonewall is supposed to be one of the "good" schools in Lexington. I'm just not sure I buy that.

Stonewall Elementary School 4

Posted March 27, 2014
Stonewall has a lot going for it. It's in a great neighborhood, has a charismatic principal with a long tenure, and an above average degree of parent involvement. As the parent of several children who attend, the weighty disappointment to me is the lack of "individuality" for unique learning strengths and challenges. I suspect this is due in large part to the budget constraints placed on educators. Still, our children only get one chance to learn the skills they acquire in the elementary years, upon which they build a lifetime of knowledge. There seems to be more emphasis on pushing students through curriculum than in ensuring they actually learn it. In our desperation to engage students, have we forgotten about challenging them? Teachers (at least in some cases) seem to take the easier approach of using trendy literature as the primary textbook for certain courses of study. Perhaps this is becoming common across the board. Nevertheless, I would love to see this school take the lead in collaborating with parents -- teachers working to engage families AND students. I see a promising mix of faculty, staff and students that just might be the ones to take on the challenge.

Posted January 28, 2014
We have been at Stonewall for a year, after attending two other Lexington elementary schools. Stonewall is by far the best! I was first amazed by the amount of communication between the teachers, parents, principal and PTA. I have never seen a more caring principal - the kids and parents love him! I joined the PTA this year, and I can attest to the fact that these parents are very involved and are always trying to find more ways to motivate the students. I'm sad that one parent had a bad experience, but I completely agree with the others that Stonewall is a wonderful place to send your kids. We'll be here for a total of 11 years, and I wouldn't want to send my kids anywhere else.

Posted January 05, 2014
The previous review is simply not true. I've already had one child go through stonewall and another on their 3rd year. This person sounds like a disgruntled person in general. The teachers are good and kind. You are always going to get one or two here or there in any school that aren't the friendliest. The principal knows the children by name and knows the families. This is a good school and don't think because of one person that it's not. This school has a small town school feel even though it's not a small school in a small town. That's a good thing.

Stonewall Elementary School 1

Posted May 02, 2013
I think people should know that Stonewall Elementary has been a big disappointment compared to a few other school experiences in Lexington. There is a statement below by a teacher that says "every decision is made is according to what is best for the kids." Ridiculous statement coming from this school. While with some individual teachers this may be the case, it is certainly not the case for the school in general...and hasn't been the case with the leadership of this school. I have even had other parents point out pathetic tendencies within this school. The adults here, in general, are in great need of "customer service" skills before they should be granted the responsibility of teaching our children. Basic common courtesies would be a great start!! Perhaps it is complacency...perhaps a part of the system...and this is a shame. There are indeed some great teachers in this school system and I can think of a few older teachers and administrators at Stonewall that could use some job shadowing with those others...and remedial courses in manners and respect...and some attitude adjustments would go a long ways. I suggest you avoid this school if you can!

Posted June 29, 2012
Stonewall Elementary is a wonderful, caring school. I want to give an exceptional thank you and a God bless you to Mrs. Murphy who taught my grandson in First grade this year, 2011-12. He is ADHD but very loving. Mrs. Murphy saw his uniqueness and provided a him wonderful experience throughout the year. He came away from his first grade year of elementary school loving everything, especially Mrs. Murphy. Thank you, Mrs. Murphy!! I wish that T could have many more experiences with you as his teacher and I pray that he has many more teachers as wonderful, compassionate, understanding of his "special need"as you have been in this one year at Stonewall Elementary. His mother, father and his grandparents wish you the very best because you are truly an amazing, talented, creative teacher who cares for her students!! We wish you the very best!!

Posted August 01, 2011
Stonewall is a school that values community. Each and every student is unique and important. The principal knows each student by name which doesn't always happen in public schools. Along with a strong focus on academics, they focus on the whole child. My children have made amazing progress and great friends. This a place where our whole family feels welcome.

Posted October 12, 2010
Not as good a school as it used to be. Apparently. Short staffed. Poor lunch menu (county wide). Have a tendency to NOT listen to parental concerns. Even worse, disregarding and covering up issues w/ some students to prevent involvement by authorities (at least in the recent past - according to a staff member). There is at least 1 teacher (Mrs. Lansden) which is ruining the 1st year of school for Kindergartners. Just cause a teacher has "tenure," is no reason to keep them when they're not doing a good job and providing a positive and enriching learning experience for children.

Posted October 20, 2009
The math teachers are really nice.

Posted October 14, 2009
Every decision is made according to what is best for the kids.

Stonewall Elementary School
3215 Cornwall Dr, Lexington, KY  40503
Last modified Stonewall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stonewall Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top