No rating

St. Albert the Great School

Private | PK-8 | 665 students

We are best known for community spirit/academics.

Living in Louisville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $202,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted June 5, 2014

There are some wonderful things about this school, but the bullying problem starts with the vindictive principal. If you think she is kind you obviously have never had reason to challenge her. Do so and you will see her true colors. Principal is ineffective at best and should step down. Our jr. high children have suffered enough from her inability to hire and retain high quality or even qualified staff. I am sure this post will be removed, as have so many others that are as blatantly honest. I would like Great Schools respond to why the negative comments are removed, even when they meet the criteria?

Posted May 30, 2014

As a parent of multiple children at St. Albert, I have had many years of good and bad to reflect upon. When talking with non-StA parents it is clear that my children are a year, sometimes more, ahead of other programs and I love that. I do feel my children are being very well prepared for High School. And we have had teachers in almost every grade who have been truly amazing. But the current leadership has killed the learning experience with their inabilty to stand up for students. Bullying is out of control in multiple grades. And the leadership's response of "picking on multiple kids means it isn't a bullying issue" is a joke. A child who curses, threatens, and physically touches another child in an unwanted way should be dealt with swiftly and expelled if not resolved. As another person mentioned, lunch time is terrible, involved a short time to eat and lunch room monitors who SCREAM at the children because they have no control. And at the end of the day that is the issue. The teachers have no control over their class rooms, the administration has no control over the teachers or students, and well behaved kids pay the price.

Posted May 23, 2014

Every school has issues but communication is lacking from the school. The real issues are parents who think their son/daughter do no wrong, these are the same parents who complain but do not want to be involved at the school and complain about the school while others do all the work. We observe the same group of parents at every event and working events at the school. Parents stop complaining about the school be involved in the school and take responsibility for yourself/your child. The school can always do better but so can parents. The parents who are involved in the school have minor issues and agree the school can always strive to do better. This is still a Blue Ribbon School and Recognition from DUKE University TIP Program.

Posted May 5, 2014

It is funny how many of the negative comments have been removed from this site. There were many more 1 star reviews. This school has had troubles for many years. It was thought that after the current regime of parents that rule the school with favoritism moved on, thing should get better. Now looking at the latest reviews, the incoming classes have the same problems. Unfortunately, its a never ending cycle of incoming parents being groomed by the outgoing rulers. This school needs a new principal to hire quality teachers. The music/arts program should be dissolved as it is a waste of time. Bullying is still a big problem but nothing is done to the aggressor because of favoritism and fear of losing enrollment. Parent cliques are the worst I've ever seen, mostly due to sports and if you're not a part of it, you're not chosen to coach. The athletics need to be purged of all current coaches and an AD should be put in place that will actually enforce the motto of encouraging kids instead of breaking down their confidence starting at 3rd grade. Outside sports evaluators should be put in place for team selection and parents should not be allowed to coach any team that their kid is on.

Posted April 30, 2014

Clearly there are many, many people at this school who feel they are not being heard, but can we please call a truce on this site? All the hurtful words and negative comments are only making a bad situation worse. Certainly by now the administration has a better understanding that she needs to resolve some serious issues. Let's give her some time and space- and if you have more concerns please take them to the school or to the Pastor directly. We are community known for our generous spirit, we need to pull together and find a positive resolution to this problem. We are blessed with many gifts. Let's work to improve our weaknesses but also concentrate on our strengths. It is not too late to right this listing Viking ship.

Posted April 29, 2014

I am broken hearted as I follow these posts because I do love this school, but find it absolutely appalling that ALL posts regarding 2nd GRADE COMPLAINTS have been removed! Guess it's all about who your mother is . It is so so sad that parents in this school fear revenge on their families from faculty if they speak up about the quality of education they are receiving. Why can't the administration address the issues in a respectful and productive manner? Why are parents feeling bullied by the administration and certain staff members? It is not acceptable.

Posted April 29, 2014

How easy it would be to blame all of the school's problems on things outside its control, like FB/Instagram/Twitter. If only... But my children do NOT have access to such programs; yet we still encounter troubling issues with academics & bullying at St. Albert. Why should a parent have to hire a tutor after the principal makes a rushed decision and hires an unqualified math teacher? Of course, the principal offers to tutor for $40/hour - convenient. Why are children berated and belittled for asking questions? Why are children subjected to bullying and then told that perhaps they are too bossy and caused the problem to begin with? Why are some children allowed to physically harm others and then only be sent home for half a day for an early holiday? I applaud all of the extra curricular activities offered - there truly is something for everyone - but unfortunately that doesn't make up for the problems running rampant here. I pray and hope that the administration will take the concerns being raised (here and in person) seriously - stop placing blame elsewhere - it would be a tragedy to allow the school to decline further.

Posted June 5, 2013

We have been very pleased with the education at St. Albert the Great. As soon as we walked in the doors, we knew we were in the right place. Mrs.Cooper and staff have always been available and willing to listen. We have joined many groups, and met many wonderful families. I know my child is in a safe, loving environment during the school day.

Posted May 13, 2013

To address the parent who noted "lazy parents" you could not be further from the truth.I am a very involved parent who has several schools outside of Louisville to compare to this school. It is horrible.My children are natural leaders and confident. That changed after attending St. Albert the Great. I did note that most of the positives are from years ago. When Fr. Don was at the school it was excellent. Since Fr. Wayne Jenkins has taken over along with a timid and naive principal - Bernadette Cooper, this school is sadly being driven into the ground. It is really sad. The office staff is unbelievably rude.When we moved here, I could not believe that parents had to be "chosen" to be a chaperone on a field trip!How hilarious is that? Guess what? It's always the same parents, so don't get your hopes up if you want to spend some QT with your child.To the parent who has 3 kids who graduated from St. Albert and are now in college...if they spell college the way you did, you perfectly illustrated my point! St. Albert can be characterized in one word - lazy.They take total advantage of the poor quality of the public schools, while they are an equally disgraceful alternative.

Posted April 18, 2013

We have had a wonderful experience at St. Albert the Great in our years here so far. It is concerning to here other stories from parents of their negative experiences, but I take it for what it's worth- a place for them to sound off anonymously. St. Albert has so much to offer their students, there is truly something for everyone. My kids play sports- they're certainly not the best on any team- but there is a team for them with kids of the same level for every sport they play! That has made their introduction to sports so much more enjoyable. If sports aren't your thing...there is so much to take advantage of: countless academic teams (Quick Recall, Future Problem Solving, Book Bee, Governor's Cup), clubs (after school art club, chess club, drama club), scouts, Kuna, KYA, and I'm sure much more that I am leaving out. St Albert is a big school- close to 700 students. But to walk into the office or down the halls, you wouldn't feel like one of 700. The atmosphere is one of family. The teachers and principal have always been outgoing and friendly- addressing concerns promptly and treating the students respectfully. I am looking forward to the rest of our years here at St. Albert!

Posted April 15, 2013

These reviews were just brought to my attention. Distressing? Yes. Accurate? No! St. Albert, as all schools of its caliber, has good and bad qualities. Unfortunately, when someone's child has a bad experience at a school, they become very vocal, which is what has happened here. It is human instinct to protect our children. I am very sorry for their bad experience. St. Albert is not perfect but it is a far cry from what these comments describe. I have a child at St. Alb now & 3 have graduated from St. Alb. They are in collage now on academic scholarships, but more importantly, they are good people. St Albert contributed to their success but active parenting also plays a role. We cannot blame the administration/school for everything. Parents have to be active, teach morals and stand up for their children. Society has changed! The administration at ANY school cannot possibly keep up with everything children face in today's technological world. If lazy parents would step up to the plate and monitor their children FB, Instagram, texts etc, problems would be reduced. Please stop blaming others and spend that negative energy talking to your children and teaching them to be good people.

Posted April 9, 2013

Imagine your child at a school where he/she was subjected to on going bullying. There was a "no bullying tolerated" rule but for some reason wasn't enforced?! You show up one day to eat lunch with your child and the halls smelled of urine. You finally settle down into the cafeteria to enjoy a nice lunch. Suddenly a whistle blows and you are jolted to attention. A lady comes out of no where yelling "silence!!" Suddenly you and your small child are told, "there will no longer be any talking!" Immediately both you and your child are no longer hungry. You proceed to go out to the playground where you find bullying and obscene language. When the whistle blows you go inside to get a nice hot drink out of water from the water fountain. As the halls become crowded you see small kids carrying so many books it becomes apparent why your child comes home achy. Your child may want to sign up to play a sport where, the parents you really try to avoid, are the ones who call all the shots. I know you think to yourself this can happen anywhere right? You are amazed to hear the adults speaking in public horribly about another student? Am I in the twilight zone? You realize I'm at St Albert!

Posted July 31, 2012

Most parents who choose to send their child to a parachoial school want and expect the best education, environment, and values to be taught. However, I know first hand you will not find those at St. Albert. Unfortunately there is very little discipline, or should I say much slack, given towards the children who you are trying to prevent your child from being exposed too at a Catholic school. There is NOT a Christian attitude in the school which sadly begins at the top which the children learn. The academic part is very wishy/washy per say, which makes every grade a totally different expectation in the sense of structure and consistency. Please I beg you to take these words very seriously before making the mistake of putting your child in St. Albert.

Posted April 30, 2012

I agree with the previous review. This is a very tight group "community". It is a teacher run school with little regard for the current principal and a practically non-existent assistant principal. (The youth councilor is related to the principal whose daughter is one of the teachers.....) If you are not in the loop, you are not in... Academically speaking, the curriculum is there, however, the teachers lack of interest to communicate with parents is frustrating, discouraging and frankly, just sad. The bullying issues and poor bus control are just another reason to rethink sending your children to this institution.

Posted October 30, 2011

I love this school and I love this community, so grateful to have my children here!

Posted March 11, 2011

When we were first looking for schools in the area I ran across this website and read some to the reviews. I ignored them as you must most things on the internet. I was wrong to in this case. This is the most unwelcoming group of people that I have ever run across. If you are not involved in the sports "boosters", you don't exist. In the time we've been at this school we've attempted to get involved in committees only to be ignore by a groups of non-working moms that act as if they own the school. If your kid is not a star athlete, most of the fathers won't even acknowledge you when you say hello. I am so disappointed with this school that we are seriously considering a switch next year while our children are young. The acedemics are pretty good here, but we want a school that we can get involved with and feel like we are welcome. Unless there are some serious changes in the next few months, I can't see my opinion changing Don't be fooled as we were.

Posted March 11, 2011

When my family and I moved to the Louisville area in 2006 we were overwhelmed by the choices in Catholic elementary schools. We chose to send our children to St. Albert the Great and couldn't be happier with our decision. From the faculty to the administration we have experienced nothing but professional, caring attitudes. For parents there are numerous opportunities to get involved in the educational and extracurricular activities of the students. As far as quality of the instruction, both of my children are reading well above their grade level and are developing the foundation for a lifelong love of learning. At St. Albert the Catholic faith is an integral part of all activities and each day begins with a prayer and the Peacebuilder's Pledge. We love St. Albert the Great and would recommend it highly to any prospective families!

Posted January 16, 2011

A close knit, family-like community with above avergae academics and high expectations of both students and parents.

Posted November 2, 2009

After experiencing public schools in different states, what a refreshing change to have our three children learn in a challenging, christian environment with a caring, nuturing staff and excellent administration. We were new to the parish and school and have been made to feel welcome. As with all things, you get out of it what you put into it - and St. Albert's staff and support systems (PTO, Parish Family, etc.) make it easy to find a place to fit in and make a contribution of time, talent, and treasure. The staff is very accessible and goes out of their way to make sure that your child is in the best environment to maximize their potential. What a blessing to start and end their day with prayer...and have fabulous educational experiences in the middle.

Posted October 5, 2009

they do a great job teaching the kids

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • NCLB Blue Ribbon awarded by the US Dept. of Ed. (2005)
  • Recognition from DUKE University TIP Program (2008)
  • Various state Governor's Cup Awards (2009)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:50am
School end time
  • 2:45pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (502) 394-9896

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Louisville

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Trinity High School