No rating

Ascension School

Private | PK-8 | 215 students

Small class size, athletics, parent involvement, technology,cross fit kids

Living in Louisville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $135,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Posted July 18, 2014

The curriculum, even in Kindergarten, challenged and motivated my young learner. I am amazed at the pace of his development. Love this school and the community/family it has become!

Posted April 16, 2014

My daughters educational development since entering Ascension has improved dramatically. When she has to miss school for holiday breaks, weather, or illness she is truly upset. I love that she looks forward to school every day. It is comforting to see how respectful all the children are to each other, and passing adults. They greet each other with respect, and hold doors for one another. I cannot imagine a better experience for my daughter. Looking forward to our future at Ascension!

Posted April 12, 2014

I am an administrator for the public schools and understand all that goes into education. Ascension has nailed it! The curriculum is challenging and the teachers are responsive. There are so many innovative programs and my fifth grader comes home happy and motivated!

Posted April 9, 2014

Ascension Catholic School is a small school with a big heart and wide open opportunities. We are one of the few Catholic Elementary Schools in the Louisville area that is using ipads in the classroom. Next year the plan is to integrate them more fully in the classroom. We have a phenomenal learning environment that is enhanced by our commitment to remaining a small school. Each child gets more individual attention and has a greater chance for success. We are a great school!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 9, 2014

Ascension school provides an excellent education while fostering my children's sense of community and self. It is a small school that embodies the spirt of family. Class size is small, allowing teachers to spend individual time with all students and really get to know the parents. I would highly recommend Ascension School to anyone looking for a quality education for their child.

Posted April 9, 2014

My son's school is awesome. Close nit, family environment. Great education, high test scores, great sports programs (multiple city championships this year).

Posted April 9, 2014

I have 3 children in public schools. My husband and I decided to place our youngest at Ascension this year because his entire family attended years ago. We could NOT have chosen better! This school provides a top notch education that also focuses on building meaningful relationships, learning about Christ and responsibility. Every day I am amazed at what my child has learned in pre-K. He knows all 50 states! The class sizes are small enough for one on one attention. The teachers are genuinely caring and friendly. The parents are involved and very welcoming. They are one big family. I truly feel that my child will be ready to accomplish anything and will be ready for what life will throw at him with this type of education.

Posted April 8, 2014

I am thrilled to have my child starting off her education at a great school with great educators! I've been impressed with the use of technology and experiential learning exposure. This is a great school and a great community to be a part of!

Posted April 8, 2014

My oldest daughter moved from her previous school to Ascension this past year. We also decided to enroll our 4 year old in the Junior kindergarten program. We have been thrilled with our experience!! The teachers and staff are so dedicated and amazing. Emails are answered promptly which is a huge change from our last school. The change from schools was effortless and awesome and my youngest had a smooth transition into school. We are so happy to be a part of the Ascension family!!

Posted April 8, 2014

I went to Ascension many years ago and now my youngest child is now attending. The education, sports programs, and community activities are hands down the best in the city. Just the atmosphere and faculty make you feel like you belong . Keep up the great work and GO LONGHORNS !!!

Posted April 8, 2014

My son studies in this school was the best decision my husband and I made. We are residents permanents here, my son first language is not English but I can see how much my son improved in all areas specially in reading. I never saw my son be so happy and enthusiastic with any other school here in Kentucky as he is happy at Ascension. Great people, great learn!

Posted April 8, 2014

Ascension was the answer we were looking for as we searched for a school and community for our family. The curriculum is innovative and focused on the individual students need to succeed. Ascension understands that for students to be successful they need the appropriate tools-Ipads, SmartBoards, PE pockets, CrossFit for Kids program, successful athletic programs..the list goes on. The school spirit is evident in the excitement of the students, staff, and principal. The community is welcoming to all families with opportunities to participate, socialize, and lead if that is your interest. Ascension has provided more than we asked for and our kids are thriving educationally, spiritually, and socially.

Posted November 27, 2012

My children and now my grandchildren are/have attended Ascension. I have always been impressed with the strong accademic standards, moral values and comunity spirit. The interaction between students, teachers and parents is amazing.

Posted June 11, 2012

We have been at Ascension for six years and I love it. It is small enough so everyone knows your name but large enough to challenge my children. There are plenty of extra activities - great music programs, fabulous art teacher, plenty of sports to choose from, Quick Recall, Robotics, Minds in Motion, etc. Plus our test scores are always great. We have been very happy here. Most of the teachers and staff are great and truly enjoy working with the children.

Posted December 23, 2009

Our family is new to Ascension this school year. Before we came we attended another catholic school and we were not pleased with the education. Ascension is simply awesome, the students are challenged, but the teachers are fair. The sports programs are okay, but the people are very welcoming and very kind. Go Longhorns!!!!

Posted November 16, 2009

My three children go to school here and Im very happy with the education they are getting. Ms. Soeder is a very excellent teacher.

Posted November 9, 2009

Ascension is an excellent school. The principal and teachers are outstanding and the parish community truly supports the school.

Posted December 18, 2008

My son just started this school in Novemeber and we cannot say enough wonderful things about it. We are very pleased with the quality of work that he is doing and with the compassionate attention that he receives from teachers and staff. My husband and I would reccomend this school to anyone. We are so appreciative to have this excellent school in our neighborhood.

Posted October 15, 2008

This is a terrific school. The principal and teachers are very innovative and are always looking for ways to keep the school top notch. The school has the largest band in Catholic Schools, Minds in Motion Program and Singapore Math to name a few. My son graduated from here and was well prepared for high school. I now have a niece and nephews attending here and they are getting a great education also!

Posted October 15, 2008

Ascension offers an excellent education to all three of my children. Besides academics, Ascension also works on developing caring and conscientious individuals in a spiritual environment. Ms. Ellis is an excellent principal and role model.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

School start time
  • 8:55 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 2:30 p.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Terrence Mullaney
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (502) 451-2535

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Service learning
  • Social justice
  • Special education
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Louisville

• Creative writing
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Catholic

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
CEF

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Catholic