PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Supports LD students: Neutral

SFA has been able to make accommodations for my son, which has been helpful. As a private school without federal funding, though, I would not expect them to be able to accommodate children with all types of learning differences.

I have 3 children at this school and have been thrilled with the education they are receiving. The daily Spanish is a huge asset, as well as the Committee on Conscience program in the middle school. Our 8th graders are often accepted into the Manual MST program, a strong testament to our excellent science curriculum. Many of our middle schoolers have placed out of Algebra I and Spanish I for their freshman year of high school. The school is small enough to have a wonderful sense of a true community, yet large enough to excel. We recently earned the National Blue Ribbon Award of Excellence.

SFA truly helps develop students into well-rounded young adults. The values of respect, honesty, diversity, and inclusiveness are included throughout the curriculum and in all the activities at SFA. A liberal arts education, starting at Pre-K !

SFA is a small school with a big heart! They really do live up to their motto. Students are educated, not just about justice but FOR justice! It is a wonderful community of families.

This is our first year at St. Francis and we couldn't be happier. I don't think we could have chosen a better school for our daughter. When we went for the tour, we were pleasantly surprised at how the middle schoolers were so helpful, polite, and knowledgeable about their school. It's consistent too, I've had many of the middle schoolers go out of their way to help me bringing in items to the school or just holding the door open. We love that all of the parents are so involved and extremely helpful. Our daughter's teacher, Mrs. Shanks is wonderful, as well as Ms. Jill and Ms. Jaso! It's a fast paced class and they are learning so much. We also LOVE the aftercare program and the staff are all great people. The big buddy program is also amazing - my daughter absolutely loves her big buddy and her buddy is such a great girl. I love that she can have a great role model to look up to.

Amount of homework: no rating

I think many parents of elementary and middle school aged children are amazed at the amount of homework students have today compared to 20 plus years ago. I do feel that some grades have more homework than others. I also believe this associated with the jump in curriculum and expectations at pivotal grades (3rd and 6th in particular).

Aside from the academics, which are terrific, we very much appreciate the community itself. As a parent, you really know your children's classmates' families. It really feels like everyone - students, parents, teachers and staff - are looking out for one another and care for one another. Certainly one of the most diverse student bodies for any private school with children from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. Every school has its pros and cons but without a doubt, the pros of St Francis of Assisi greatly outweigh any cons. I would note that over the past couple years, the new principal has expanded upon and encouraged the children and staff in so many ways.

Develops character: Strongly agree

There's no other school in Louisville with such a rich, integrated program and philosophy of social justice in its curriculum. I think any other Catholic school in Louisville would agree that St Francis sets the standard in this area.

Our kids have gone to SFA for several years, and I can truly say the school gets better every year. I read another comment on this site and yes, a few teachers have been at the school for quite a while. That was written a couple of years ago. With our new principal's leadership; a couple of new, dynamic teachers; and the addition of technology (170 ipads and laptops and a full-time Technology Coach--unprecedented for a school its size!), every teacher has "upped her game" significantly. The proof of positive change is SFA's Terra Nova scores which have been Top 15% in the nation two years consecutively. As a result of these scores, SFA qualifies to apply for the Blue Ribbon Schools designation. Beyond academics, SFA is producing kids who have confidence, are well-rounded, and comfortable standing up for their beliefs. If you ask people why they chose SFA for their kids, nearly all will say "because I was so impressed by the middle- schooler who gave us a tour--his maturity, ability to talk to adults, and positive things he had to say about his school experience."

I am a parent of a Saint Francis of Assisi student. I continue to be impressed with the school, especially with the new principal. The vast majority of the faculty are extremely passionate about and engaged in developing the minds and hearts of the SFA students. Thank you to the faculty and staff of SFA!

Last modified St Francis Of Assisi School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8