PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

My son just completed a preschool year at Hayfield and we've been so pleased with his progress at this school compared to his previous preschool. He is now actually interested in doing his "work" at school, and it's been a pleasure watching him discover new educational subjects that appeal to him (geography!). This is our first experience with Montessori, and we love it. His teacher has been amazing - truly, she is a steady, calm, patient presence in the classroom, always there for questions and guidance, and always offering something more challenging when she can see the time is right for a particular student. Another great thing about Montessori - students work at their own pace. The Hayfield campus is peaceful, green and safe. We have had ample demonstration that student and staff safety is a priority. After our experience at Hayfield with our oldest child, we will be very happy to send our youngest to Hayfield once she is old enough.

I love Hayfield because the teachers genuinely love the kids. When my daughter went from Pre-K to Kindergarten, the teachers and I cried together! I am grateful to have been a part of the awesome Hayfield community and that my kids have been a part of an excellent learning experience.

Hayfield provides an incredible learning environment that encourages children to work independently and at their own pace. The teachers are wonderful and spend individual time with every student. I am grateful that our daughter started and continues her education in a place that fosters such a deep love of learning.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Every time I have visited I am amazed by the calm in the classroom. Each child may be working on a different task, but even the small ones are focused on their own work. The teachers offer a great deal of individual help but have also created an environment where the kids can work independently.

Amount of homework: Agree

No homework is required until first grade and only on Monday through Thursday nights. My first grader spends around 15 minutes in the evenings on homework. He's able to complete this work on his own. We feel like it helps establish a good habit without restricting his after school activities.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Two preschoolers had a spat this week. One was having difficulty sharing, the other called him a name, they were required to work out a compromise, and write a letter to the other apologizing.

For us, Hayfield is the perfect combination of academically flexible and challenging. The children are given the freedom to choose their activities and work at their own pace. However, they are required to show progress and meet prescribed goalposts. The outcome has been happy kids that are learning at break-neck speed!

We are delighted to have found this wonderful little school! Our boys are three and five and have thrived educationally and personally while they have been students at Hayfield. Our kindergartener started school before he was able to write all of his letters. Another school had warned us that he was not ready to be successful because he lacked pencil skills. Obviously we want our kids to be successful, but we define that more broadly than achieving specific skills on a prescribed timeline. At Hayfield he has been able to learn at his own pace in an encouraging and flexible classroom. We are half way through his first year at Hayfield and not only is he writing all of his letters, he is beginning to read and spell. Plus, he can name all the continents and counties in the Western Hemisphere. Plus, plus, he loves learning and going to school!

Hayfield is truly a one of a kind hidden gem in Louisville. Our beautiful green space is unmatched, and learning in beautiful surroundings creates a peaceful feel. Children are taught to love the Earth, respect and support each other, and through this develop a love of learning that continues on. Hayfield, founded in 1967, has taught generations of Louisville families. Many former students have chosen to send their children to Hayfield. There is simply no place like Hayfield. Schedule a tour and see for yourself why people love this school.

I highly recommend Hayfield Montessori School. The teachers and administration care so much for our children at Hayfield. I agree with the other review that this school is a hidden gem. I recommend this school to others all the time and encourage parents to check it out. Children learn much more than sight words and test prep at this school! They learn in a positive, lovely environment that is rich in the arts, along with the general reading, math and other skills we do expect them to learn. Hayfield staff work hard with the kids to lay a foundation for life-long curiosity and a passion for learning. The grounds and buildings are peaceful, lovely and inspiring. One other thing I appreciate as a parent is the fact that there are expectations on behavior from the kids. Children are strongly encouraged to engage their peers and teachers with politeness and kindness. All these things, I think, are a good return for our dollar. And, last but not least, it just downright COOL to attend a school that is family run! The founders of the school are still very involved in the life of this school.

Last modified Hayfield Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5