No rating

Louisville Collegiate School

Private | PK-12 | 690 students

Living in Louisville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $138,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $700.

Posted May 30, 2014

I pulled my children out of this school and only wish I had done so sooner. I totally agree with the comments posted on August 19, 2013, July 19, 2013, May 31, 2013, and May 10, 2006. Education is not that great. Administration lacks leadership and does not follow the schools "Corner Stones." I would like to second the May 10, 2006 review, "Don't complain or your child will suffer." I also strongly agree with the October 7, 2011 review, "Didn't see the Ethics".

Posted March 23, 2014

This school is better than most of the public schools in Louisville. Foreign languages are for all twelve years. This includes Chinese. Unfortunately, the parents don't seem to want the school to move to the next level. There is a country club atmosphere. Some parents take their children out of school for silly reasons like a vacation to Florida during the school year. They could ramp up the academics. It has the potential to be a great school if the parents wanted that. Also, it has improved in the area of diversity yet more can be done in diversifying not only the students population but the faculty as well. Overall, it is still better than most of the public schools in the city.

Posted March 5, 2014

I attended LCS K-12. I am sincerely grateful for my Collegiate experience. I went on to the Ivy League and post-grad "real world" well-prepared. Teachers exposed me to challenging, stimulating material; they taught me how to think critically and creatively; they emphasized "service learning" and giving back to the community. The long-tenured teachers are the best to be found. I had points of complaint when I was a student - and I didn't make it easy for all the teachers with whom I worked - but I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to grow up at LCS. I have stayed in touch with teachers and athletic coaches whom I still consider mentors today. I would not have had the college-level and professional-level success I've enjoyed, if it hadn't been for LCS. Of course: I learned Math and Science and Literature; I learned public speaking in the classroom and teamwork on the field hockey field; I got great standardized test scores. But what I count most important about Collegiate is the character education, the personal investment of the educators, and the encouragement of life-long learning that has so enriched my personal and professional, social and intellectual life. GO LCS!

Posted September 19, 2013

I have 2 children in the lower school and they are very happy. My 5 year old runs to the building every morning and my 8 year old was sad to have summer come because she didn't want to wait several months to return to school. There is so much joy in this place. I wanted my kids to learn in a supportive environment and we have found it in Collegiate. The teachers know each child very well and base their work on things they are interested in. My 8 year old is reading at a 5th grade level and they keep her challenged in 2nd grade. The community of parents is great, I have found it a very welcoming and inclusive place. Everyone loves the new Head of School, he gets our kids out of the car every morning in carpool and knows them by name.

Posted September 18, 2013

Hello Community, I am new to Louisville, and it just so happens that I am also the new Head of School at Louisville Collegiate School. I am not posting here to confront a bad review or to praise a good one, but instead am writing to invite you to come see us in action for yourself and to offer up myself if you have any questions or concerns about Collegiate. Like all institutions, we have things that we do extremely well and others that we need to continue to get better at doing, so no, we are not perfect. We are, however, a wonderful community of parents, students, and faculty who care deeply about education. I am a product of Kentucky having been born and raised in Hopkinsville, and I truly appreciate all of the educational options that Kentucky has to offer. With that being said, I encourage you to be a consumer when it comes to where and what is best for your child educationally. I hope that in your exploration of educational opportunities for your child, you give us a chance to win your trust. I very much look forward to you visiting our campus and judging for yourself the value that we believe we add to a child's educational experience. All my best to you and yours.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 13, 2013

Louisville Collegiate school is easily the most culturally diverse schools in Louisville. I am from the New York area and found this to be the most similar to what we have on the east coast. True diversity We were looking for small classes, strong curriculum and a nurturing environment. Both kids have been there for 4 years now and are thriving. We do outside activities and this school encourages that. It is small so they don't have their own theatre , major campus etc however it allows the children to take classes at other fine Louisville institutions like the Louisville Ballet. The teachers make this school great & seem to enjoy the size of their classrooms. LCS has a new headmaster who seems to understand the challenges that kids are facing. I believe with his leadership the whole school will improve. I

Posted August 19, 2013

LCS is the most expensive and exclusive school in Louisville....and that's about it. The academics are mediocre, the teachers are inexperienced, and behavioral problems are plentiful (BE WARNED). The administration lacks a cohesive mission other than trying to extract as much additional time and money from parents as possible. We pulled our child out of lower school, as there are plenty of other private schools in Louisville who offer a much better product for a fraction of the price. BUT...if you need to network with old money and you want to belong to the yacht club or Lou CC, then you have to send your children here. Just know that they will be marinated in the most spoiled, entitled environment you could possibly contrive, and end up going to UK anyway. Save yourself the headaches and the quarter mil.

Posted July 21, 2013

Our child began attending in JK and fell in love with the school before even attending. The teachers have been phenomenal, e.g. supportive, presenting the students with age appropriate challenges, and highly communicative with parents. Our child has developed good friendships and it allowed us to get to know the other parents in her grade. I love the high level of communication from the teachers, parent association, counselors, and administrators of the lower school. We are not natives of Louisville and found the enrollment process of the public school system to be a bit cumbersome. This has been one of the best decisions we have made for our child. We're looking forward to a long academic career at Collegiate.

Posted July 19, 2013

Do not waste your money. If your child is anything other than a typical learner they will sell you a seat and do little to nothing to provide your child extra support. It is all about the bottom line at this school and as an ex employee (and an alum k-12!), they will compromise ethics to sell seats. They do little of what's right in the service of building character and developing ethical young people. The board of directors (mostly non educators) is way to involved in the leadership and poor decisions are made time and time again.

Posted May 31, 2013

i used to go to Louisville collegiate. They try to tell you its a diverse school when its not. i had to go through a lot of racial slurs, and jeers. you are constantly being talked about behind your back, EVEN FACULTY. their is favoritism throughout the halls, children with no respect. It was an awful, awful, awful expierience.

Posted January 15, 2013

I believe that Collegiate is great school that emphasizes the whole student. High expectations for academics and a variety of opportunities for sports makes this school the best bang for the buck. My family is far from rich or snobby. However, we have never felt left out or overlooked because of our status. My kids do not have a fancy house or the latest things but they do have truly good friendships, teachers that actually teach rather than manage, and and opportunities to explore interests that would not be open to them at some public schools. They are thriving and learning in a welcoming school environment. I truly could not ask for more .

Posted October 7, 2011

Academics are fair, but spiral which bores smart kids. If you are interested in critical thinking skills and intellectual diversity, go elsewhere. My oldest attended K-2. He learned a lot! He also cried due to the hrs of homework! No down time. Kid projects look parent produced. Youngest attended K only. He is shy, thoughtful, and likes to understand why things are done certain ways. He had a fantastic, highly detailed memory, very creative and artistic. His K teacher said he was smart, but he wouldn't talk to her. He likely picked up on that hostile vibe she put out. He is perceptive. She wanted to hold my son back (in K!) for not sitting on the run during circle time.Took both sons for testing.IQs at 143 and 142. I shared this with her. It didn't phase her. A friend had the same suggestion for her son. He left and was doing 5th gr level in 2nd. Talked to principle about differences in gifted children. His response was he hoped we'd return for middle. Saw one parent hit and parked car knowingly, and drive off. Reported it to carpool monitor who said oh well. Didn't see the ethics I hope my kids will learn. Bottled water has Collegiate on it, if your impressed by that.

Posted March 22, 2011

best school ever. it is easy to make friends and the kids are very welcoming. the academics are challenging and can fit any learning style. i go to collegiate and it was the best decision i have EVER MADE. by far the best school in ky and is absolutely beautiful campus. compares you for college

Posted December 27, 2009

My husband's job requires us to relocate every 4-5 years. We moved to Louisville in 2006 and knew nothing about the school system. We started at a large Catholic school and we were extremely disappointed at the nepotism and cliquishness of the parents and kids and the mediocre academics. We tried a brand new public school less than a mile from our home. Unfortunately, the academics were non-existent at the public school which seemed more focused on indoctrinating my child with a particular social agenda that teaching him the core subjects. We have been thrilled with Collegiate. Academically it is challenging and everyone has been welcoming to us as parents and my son as a new member of the community. It is truly worth every penny! What other parent can pick up a middle schooler every day and hear that his day was 'great!' ?

Posted June 4, 2009

Collegiate is easily the best school in Kentucky. The schools small class sizes allow more one on one time with teachers to ensure that you throughly understand the material. Collegiate is focused on breeding student-athletes: not athlete students.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 25, 2009

Collegiate is entirerly too small, almost smothering. Very clicky and everyone knows your every move. The teachers are great but the rich spoiled kids are not and this is what it is made of.

Posted April 9, 2009

I am a parent of a Collegiate 6th grader. The school is a great learning environment that is full of enthusiastic, highly competent teachers. The curriculum, although demanding, is very spirited and buoyant. There has been a lot of thought put into making learning interesting for the kids.

Posted January 31, 2009

I left a catholic school and came to collegiate because it was supposed to be a really good school. I do not like it at all, and cannot wait to go to college. If you are not in the popular clique you dont matter, and you feel unwelcome. I wish i never went to collegiate

Posted November 10, 2008

Collegiate is the best investment we could have ever made in our child's education. We are having a great year. We love being part of the Collegiate community.

Posted May 4, 2008

As a high school student at Collegiate, I find the environment to be very conducive of learning and very well structured. Through Collegiate's excellent program, I am opened to a plethora of opportunities which both operate to bolster my current knowledge base as well as provide opportunities for my future which weren t previously available to me. It has been a wonderful experience thus far and will continue to be.
—Submitted by a student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Junius Scott Prince
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College presentations or information sessions
Students' post-graduation plans in 2012