PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I attended AIE my entire life...I went on to receive my masters degree, graduated summa cum laude, and now own 2 very successful businesses. I had every tool that I needed to enter the collegiate world and then continue on to the business world. This school is many things to many people. For me, personally, it instilled a work ethic, sense of compassion, curiousity about the world, and thirst for success that most other programs simply can not instill...The Academy is a family. It's a place where children are loved and taught to love themselves. It's a home for students from all walks of life, with a wide variety of abilities, all reaching for the common goal of achieving their individual best. My children now attend there and all are thriving and doing exceptionally well. I will raise them to become productive, caring, confident citizens who go on to change the world and AIE will play a huge role in helping me instill many qualities I find admirable in a person. Growing up at AIE, I did not have homework until I was in eighth grade but I can tell you that when I went to college, my work ethic surpassed my fellow classmates who attended public school. Homework doesn't teach work ethic; it simply takes away what has the potential to be positive family time. Homework is not needed for academic success. Work ethic is needed for academic success. Take a child who has done hours and hours of homework with no work ethic and they will fail. Take a child who has done no homework but has been taught amazing work ethic and they will succeed. The goal of the Academy is to set children up to be successful in life, not just at tests. I am thankful for the many qualities that I have that have made me successful as a mother, a wife, a business owner, and a person and I owe that success, in part, to AIE!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I have been a part of AIE for many, many years. I have never seen a time where bullying occured. The staff is so aware and involved that all situations brought to their attention is resolved. They help coach children through tough situations and allow everyone the opportunity to be heard. Mr. Savage works very hard to keep this from happening at AIE.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Every teacher that works at AIE has a heart to serve and help each child. My kids feel loved and respected by all staff and feel safe at AIE.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

They do not assign homework till 7th grade and then it is minimum. At highschool this changes with the focus on preparing each child for after graduation. They encourage you to give your child homework to strengthen the skills your child needs. This also allows you to teach life skills that every child needs. I especially like this method because I can enjoy my family time at home without the stress of homework each night. My children play sports, learn to cook, read each night, etc... All things that I feel are valuable lessons.

I absolutely love this school! I am an alumni and chose to have all 3 of my children attend AIE. They put alot of focus on making the school feel like family. They encourage each child to achieve their best and allow everyone the opportunity to feel successful. I love that they encourage a strong work ethic and allow each child to reach their potential. As a parent I appreciate that they challenge my children to do their best while teaching them to have compassion for their peers. I attended AIE for multiple years and really appreciate the way our highschool program was set up. It allowed me to be prepared for college and taught me to manage my time effectively and to continue to give my best in all situations. I also learned effective study skills which was a tremendous help. If you are looking for a school that allows your child to be a part of a family, that focuses on work ethic, engagement, accountability, and compassion for others then you will love this school. Mr. Savage has a great understanding of children and helps every child achieve their best. A wonderful place to help your child learn and grow as a person!

I am from out of state. My wife attended this school and we chose to move back to Louisville so our children could also attend. I can't give AIE enough credit for what they do. One of the first sporting events that I went to I saw a very athletic player for AIE finish a drill and Sprint back down the field to help a special needs player finish up his drill. This moved me very deeply that a high school player had enough awareness about his surroundings to be able to recognize that every person should be respected and that he had an opportunity to step up and be a leader. This is exactly what AIE teaches......Every person is important and that everyone should give their best. I went to a public school growing up and I always studied just enough to get the grade I needed/wanted. At AIE they teach work ethic so you don't have time to be concerned with how little can I do to get by. You are ready and prepared! I really wish I could have went to a school like this growing up and I'm glad that my children do. John and Teresa Savage have dedicated their entire life around this school and it shows in their actions and throughout the entire staff. If you are looking for a school that will feel like family and home this is the place for you.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

Only effective when the child being bullied has behavior or social issues. If they are the ones doing the bullying the other students are advised to ignore it.

Develops character: Neutral

Geared to the kids with behavior issues, if they act out there is no discipline structure.

Amount of homework: Disagree

If your child isn't getting homework you want to at least be comforted in the fact the schoolwork is teaching them something.

If your child doesn't have social or behavior issues I would not recommend this school. If you are looking for an alternative to Public School this is NOT the school for your child. They will end up behind academically in comparison to the kids in public school. In the 8th grade my child was doing work she had learned in the 5th grade!!!! No homework until High School and even then it pales in comparison to other school structures. The school is geared to the children with behavior, social or learning difficulties. It should be designed ONLY for those students as it does a HUGE disservice to children that have none of those issues.

Last modified Academy For Individual Excellence is a Private school that serves grades PK-12