Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2015
Yes, Yes Yes! We share, we listen, we help, we encourage, we apologize, we try again. Chance is a designated School of Compassion. That means...students of Chance wrote every word of the school’s Charter for Compassion, each child signed it, and we made a public declaration with the Mayor. The school year completes a series of projects throughout the year to demonstrate compassion for People by conducting food and book drives and coat collections, Animals, by becoming advocates for bee conservation, and the Earth supporting Waterstep and water conservation. Cannot wait to know what our projects will be for next year. We love it!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 04, 2015
Homework is a pleasant and rewarding part of our life, not a drudgery. It is often a practical application of math concepts or reading and talking about a story together. It gives our family an opportunity to connect about what has been learned during the day.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2015
Yes! The school begins at the earliest ages to encourage and support children in finding their internal motivation rather than just doing what is required to get a good grade or gold star.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2015
The learning environment at Virginia Chance School is one based on dignity and respect and valuing each individual's growth and unique contribution.

Posted February 08, 2015
I have both a Chance graduate and a current student and this environment has nurtured a love of learning in both. The combination of small class sizes and excellent teacher quality means my children have been encouraged to discover, question, master, and play. I appreciate the openness the faculty and staff have to new ideas, while remaining firmly grounded in the educational philosophies of Virginia Chance. We have looked at many other schools in the city --- private, parochial, and public --- and this is the one that meets my children's intellectual, social, physical, and emotional needs year after year.

Posted February 08, 2015
I have two children in elementary grades at Virginia Chance School and couldn't be happier! As I read some of the posts from a few years ago here, I realize that a site like this doesn't capture updated facts, so please get the facts in addition to the opinions offered here. First, the academics are excellent. Our children are learning a ton! We love that Chance children are treated with dignity and respect. With two certified teachers per classroom, the teaching quality is excellent, AND the teachers have the ability to continue teaching if one of them needs to work to the side with a few students on social or emotional development. Our children are treated as assets to be nurtured, not as problems to be solved. They are rarely directed, but rather invited to make their own (safe) choices. My children are taught how to think and allowed to think for themselves. Their natural curiosity is fanned as they are invited to explore the subjects they study. We are also thrilled with the variety of enrichment offerings, everything from sports to music, science, engineering, environmental and art. We love Virginia Chance School!!!

Posted January 14, 2015
We have 2 children at Chance School who both started at age 2 and will continue through 5th grade. We find the environment warm, engaging and dynamic. The learning philosophy teaches kids to embrace their natural curiosity and use it as a catalyst for asking questions and solving problems.

Posted October 10, 2014
We have been so happy at Chance School for the last 6 years! We came as parents of a 2 year old and thought we would re-evaluate before kindergarten. Wow, have we been impressed with the elementary program!! Such great strides in all areas of development! Social and emotional elements are moving forward right along with discoveries and greater depth of understanding of what our child is reading and tabulating. Not to mention we have a great time hanging out with our fellow parents. Chance is a wonderful school home for our whole family.

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter started at Chance when she was in pre-school and is now in the first grade. We plan on staying through the 5th grade! Chance provides a nurturing environment while encouraging kids to learn and explore. They teach to the "whole" child by incorporating a well rounded curriculum, developing self awareness, exploring the natural desire to learn and the importance of compassion. Chance encourages children to get outside and move (even when it's raining), to ask questions, to get excited about learning and the world around them. My daughter comes home confident, ready to tackle the world and looking forward to the next school day. It is my hope that by developing and encouraging the desire to learn, she will become a life long learner. Chance engages parents as well, making them feel welcome and empowered. They offer parenting classes that have taught me many parenting skills and given me more confidence as a Mom! Which in turn, makes my relationship with my daughter that much stronger! It is a truly wonderful school that is a great place to learn on so many different levels.

Virginia Chance School 4

Posted August 11, 2013
I was a stay at home mom who decided to return to work when both of my kids began preschool at Chance. We chose Chance because of the low student-teacher ratio and for their commitment to whole-child learning. Our kids need to be given challenging opportunities to learn and freedom to burn some energy throughout the day. Chance included some really cool initiatives like vestibular Minds in Motion training. It's easy to see the benefits of the recent Chance school revival, under new leadership, increased STEM curriculum, overall excitement and inspiration in the teachers and families. Spending time with the teachers, students, faculty and other parents has helped me see how unique Chance is. Because we've also taken the parent's course "Developing Capable People," our family has integrated the problem solving approach they teach in our own lives. It's helping us work together as a family. It's really nice that the teachers, staff and our family are all on the same page and utilizing the same approach. We're seeing that unified message coming back to us through the kids. It has simplified things for us.

4200 Lime Kiln Lane, Louisville, KY  40222
Last modified Virginia Chance School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Virginia Chance School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top