Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This school was a great alternative for my daughter. She was having trouble socially at her other school and because of the set up of the classes at this school, that was never an issue and my daughter was able to focus on her studies. It's not easy, but she came every day and stayed longer on some occasions, she was able to finish high school early and is now taking classes at JCTC until she is old enough and mature enough to go away to full time college. The teachers at JCHS, especially at Ahrens where my daughter attended, were very caring and concerned about my daughter's success. She took all online classes and not only were there eschool teachers to help answer questions electronically, there were certified teachers at the school to help answer questions in person. I couldn't recommend this school more for someone who has gotten behind in credits at their regular high school, feels lost in the crowd, or even for the student who is motivated and wants to work at their own pace to finish high school early!

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Besides seeing people in the hallway as you're going to math or the bathroom, there really isn't much opportunity for social interaction but I know a friend's daughter was having trouble with another student bothering her and the teachers and administration took care of it immediately.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The Assistant Principal at the Ahrens location is awesome! His name is Mr. Snyder and he really cares about the students and will work with both the parents and the students to help them be successful.

Amount of homework: Neutral

There is no homework, it's independent study and eschool only so the students can work as much online as they want, but they don't have to (it just takes longer to finish).

Jefferson County High School gave me the confidence and self esteem that I so desperately needed. I was in a bad relationship and then bullied at the regular high school I was attending, and fell behind with school from battling depression. I transferred here as a last resort and it was the best decision I have ever made. The teachers were beyond outstanding and supportive. They not only cared about my academics, but what I was going through personally. They mended my broken self esteem and pushed me to work hard. Even the security guard was encouraging every day, would ask about my grades and would stay on me to keep my attendance up. This school helped me turn things around and saved me from taking "the easy way out" and settling for a GED. Finishing high school and walking across that stage on Graduation Day despite the personal obstacles I was facing is still one of my proudest accomplishments to this day. I would strongly encourage any parent whose child may be struggling in that "normal" school setting to put their faith and trust into the staff at Jefferson County High School. I don't know where I would be today if it hadn't been for this program!

I attended JCHS starting my Junior year and finished both my Junior and Senior year in about nine months. I wasn't a bad student, or behind, but felt that other high schools didn't focus on the learning. I was happy to be able to move at my own pace and not lolly gag around. I highly recommend this alternative.

This program has been a godsend for my son, he was behind, now he is catching up and has improved his self esteem. This is a wonderful program for students who have fallen behind for whatever reason. It's never too late !!

This school is really excellent

So far, so good! Jefferson County High School is an alternative school for children who have not succeeded in other learning environments. My Grandson is attending the school beginning this year. Students learn and move ahead at their own pace using workbooks, self tests, etc. They can accelerate if they are able. School sessions are in 3 hour time blocks and can accommodate work schedules. There are credits allowed for work experience. Discipline seems to be good and students must attend class on a very regular attendance or they will be dismissed. For many of these kids it is their last chance to succeed at getting a high school diploma.

Last modified Jefferson County High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12