K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Classical education , lots of homework. Students are polite and respectful! ALL graduates go to college.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Many teachers are actually professionals in their respective fields and not career academics. Many teachers are also parents of the students

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Every teacher that we have had has done an excellent job teaching. They are very organized and truly want to help the students learn. The school only hires the very qualified teachers.

Amount of homework: Agree

Not too much, not too little. I can't complain about the homework. The work is meant to simply review. It is not busy work and doing things over and over just for the sake of doing it.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I know that my child has noted when another student wasn't honest, and the school dealt with it in a very fair way. I have never seen anything in the school that made me question it's integrity.

Our two children have been at HLS for 3 years now. We love the school. Their academics can't be beat. And it is definitely one of the more affordable private schools in Louisville. It does have a Christian emphasis, in that the Bible is taught and scripture is memorized. The school does not evangelize the students...as this is to be done in the home/church (which is what we believe, also). My children are definitely challenged, but they enjoy being at school and are confident learners. The highly qualified teachers are loving, caring, and encouraging. If you are looking for a classical, Christian education, then this is one you should consider. Most families that are at the school would agree with me (from what I have heard).

Highlands Latin has the best academics in the city with a Christian culture. Love it !!!

The admissions director is not warm and friendly and she doesn't listen or let you talk. She's actually very off putting. When checking out schools, an admissions director is the first person that gives you a feeling about the school. At other private schools in the area they are incredibly welcoming, cheerful, and sincere. I have talked to three other potential hls families that were immediately turned off at this school because of the admissions director's demeanor.

My kids have been at Highlands Latin for three years. No school is perfect, but it has been great for us. They have had caring teachers and wonderful classmates. The small class sizes are a big plus. The admissions process was a little intimidating, because I knew there was a long waiting list for kindergarten. Highlands Latin is Christian, which we wanted. They say they don't evangelize specific doctrine, and I have generally found that to be true. This fits our family, because I want doctrine to come from home and our church. The academics are second to none. The school has great test scores, and when we took our first tour, we loved that every class was engaged with the teacher and working. My kids don't ever come home and say they spent 2 hours watching a movie at school. I was a little worried that the kids might not like the hard work, but when we took took a tour, it was obvious that the students are joyful and happy. Like anything, you feel good about yourself when you are working hard and accomplishing something. Athletics is not a big focus. This is fine for us, but may be worth considering if competitive sports are really important.

Great school. My children go there and we love it. When the kids are at school, they are learning the entire time. There aren't any movies or all day field trips. They have a terrific focus on academics.

Last modified Highlands Latin School is a Private school that serves grades K-12