Fern Creek Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 747 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 31, 2013

This school could be much better. Yes it is a large school with many students in each classroom. With that being said, according to my child there is little in classroom management skills. She is in Mrs. Ipock's room and says it can be loud. Also she states that some students come and go as they please. This is not a good environment. I am not sure if it is all the teachers fault. Perhaps there is no assistance from the administration with these issues or management skills aren't being taught to faculty at this school. I am sure glad that my time at Fern Creek Elementary is over. Last year was it and now my student has had to play catch up in middle school.

Posted August 26, 2013

I'm just starting to know the school. My son is in Kindergarden. So far so good.

Posted August 25, 2012

While one of the better schools in the public system, the leadership holds this school back. The Principal has a reputation for being abrupt and rude to teachers, students, and even volunteers. While I was skeptical at first this reputation was proven true after I spent more time at the school.

Posted May 3, 2012

My child has not received an adequate education while at Fern Creek. My child has complained that two students disrupt the entire class almost every other day. The teacher (whom shall remain nameless) says it is out of her hands. When I visit the school it is very loud. I have heard yelling and screaming in the hallways. It seems there is no structure or organization to control the behaviors. Well the principal Mrs. Rigsby must be burnt out or just doesn't care. Well, I care and promise that you my child will be removed for the next year. If you want to know how the school is doing just look at the test scores. They have dropped for the past three years.

Posted November 29, 2011

Mrs Mcdermitt couldn't help my ADD daughter and didn't seem to care to help with getting us the care she needed. When I asked her about other schools that she sent her kids to she responded, "my kids all went to private schools". We have no idea what that response meant. What is she teaching in the public schools for and didn't she feel the public system was good enough for her own children. That is very, very much being a hypocrite. I found her response and treatment very cold. We took our daughter out very quickly and sent her elsewhere.

Posted November 2, 2011

My daughter started going there this year and she loves it, She learns so much at Fern Creek Elementary I would not want my child to go to any other school.

Posted October 20, 2011

me and my best friend went here it was ok. But when I went there there was a bullying issue so we left and the very next year it was on lockdown because of an incident at fern creek high school. I was ok but my parents where kind of insecure about it so I went to farmer the next year. Some of the teachers where too strict in my opinion. I honestly woulden't go here.

Posted October 11, 2009

My granddaughter has come out of her shell where we thought she would be ADD they worked with her and was very patient she is doing great now

Posted June 2, 2009

My daughter has attended Fern Creek Elem since kindergarten and will be in 5th grade in the fall.I LOVE this school!! The teachers are great and they definitely quit treating kids like babies starting in 4th grade.I think that it will be very beneficial that my daughter will have an idea of what to expect when she enrolls in middle school for the 2010 yr.I appreciate the way Mrs.Rigsby(principle) handles the children and any incidents.I have nothing negative to say. Also, Mrs. Blessinger is still a great teacher after all these years.We were grateful my daughter had her in 1st and 3rd grade.

Posted July 24, 2008

Overall I have been pleased with this school. My only complaint is that for the past two years my son has been pulled from one class and moved to another due to too many kids in one class. I would rather him stay where he was initially put. I absolutely loved Mrs. Boyd. She is the best Kindergarten teacher ever. My daughter talked about her all summer. She was very caring and enthusiastic. We'll miss not having her next year!

Posted January 21, 2008

Both of our children currently attend Fern Creek and are in the 1st and 3rd grades. We are very impressed with the parent/teacher involvement. Both are reading above their grade level. Mrs. Deana Blessinger is an exceptional teacher. We're proud to be Tigers.

Posted June 27, 2007

My daughter was a 1st grader this year at Fern Creek Elementary and had a wonderful teacher, Mr. Josh Frank. He was very structured, enthusiastic and a stickler for order. He made learning fun. My daughter enjoyed his class and the school. However, I do have a complaint about their bus system. There are not enough school buses servicing Fern Creek with an enrollment of over 800 students. My daughters' bus had kids from Fern Creek and Bates Elementary on the same run which made for crowded bus rides. Fern Creek needs to request more exclusive school buses to service their students. Due to the overcrowding issue also came problems with children being bullied on the bus. I had to pull my daughter off the bus and make her a car rider. This shouldn't be!

Posted March 28, 2007

This is my son's fourth year at Fern Creek Elementary and I am absolutely thrilled with the teachers and the Staff. Ms. Sheldon was a wonderful influence on my son. He has flourished and excelled at Fern Creek Elem due to the wonderful teaching staff. Most of all, my son is extremely proud to be a member of the Fern Creek Elementary school! I feel that the communication lines are always open with the teachers and staff at FCE!

Posted December 12, 2006

My son currently attends Fern Creek Elem. in the 1st grade. This is his 2nd year and it's been wonderful. I have not one complaint about the school. The school work shows great improvement in the skill development of the children.

Posted June 17, 2006

My son was in Kindergarten at Fern Creek. He was scared to death and the teachers/administration did nothing to help. He's getting a much better education back here in Mississippi.

Posted December 27, 2005

The teachers are amazing, especially Mr. Paul Junk and Mrs. Deana Blessinger. I used to volunteer in her room and she always was interesting and her kids were always on task. Mr. Junk was my favorite teacher because of his positive attitude and his uniqueness. I love Fern Creek because of the new principal, but some members of the staff are very tempermental and need to lose the attitude.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 26, 2005

My son will be in 3rd grade this year. He has been there since k-garten. I have had some great experiences at this school and the teachers. I too have had a wonderful experience with Mr Junk and also Ms. Stillwell. THe only complaint that I had was the past principal. They got a new principal this past year and she seems to be pretty good. I hope she stays that way. The academics and teacher involvement is wonderful. I son is reading on a 5th grade level.

Posted August 25, 2004

I too have had poor experiences with the administration of this school. I'm glad to see the leadership at this school is changing hopefully for the best when the new principal arrives.

Posted August 11, 2004

I have had 2 children attend this school and what a wonderful experience they have had (and continue to have)! EVERYONE is on top of their job and concerned about children. I have been in many JCPS elementary schools with a job I had, and this is far and away the finest one out there! Cindy

Posted March 26, 2004

My son attended Kindergarden at this wonderful school in 01-02. His amazing teacher was Mr. Junk. This teacher was beyond terrific! Great all around school.

The state average for Math was 44% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 54% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 47% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 59% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 36% in 2013.

All Students42%

White49%
Economically disadvantaged38%
Students with disabilities20%

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 60% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A57%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8815 Ferndale Rd