Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My 2 children (K and 2nd) are excelling at Hawthorne! We are not a Spanish speaking house hold! They both love Science and Math, I believe these subjects are their favorites because they are taught these subjects in Spanish! They are both above grade level with their reading! Volunteers are set up to help children that need extra help. It's a very diverse school, which we love. I am in the school often and the majority of kids are NOT rude! I will say each classroom has a kid or two that is a distraction, the staff works hard to help these kids, as much as they can! The staff is very friendly and helpful! Every event that involves Hawthorne has staff members in attendance! Parents really step up at this school to offer programs that have slipped away do to continues budget cuts! The array of after school activities is wonderful, fueling interests from sports to arts! More parents need to be in the classroom, getting to know the teachers and staff and most of all their friends! Make these people in your child's life your business!!

Here's Why..... 1. The children are rude! 2. The staff is rude! 3. Why do the children need to spend half the day learning math and science in another language when they are trying to comprehend the concepts at home in english. Moved here from another state where my daughter was excelling and do very well. To come here and see her struggling because she doesn't underatand the dialect is heartbreaking. She never took spanish before and I think its unfair that the school forces this into their curriculum. I didn't pick this school of course this is where she was placed!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The kids are rude to each other and the staff.

My son's class has been amazing. Their teacher is so energetic and works hard to make sure they are getting what they need. I couldn't believe how many teachers were at the Spring Fiesta! The teachers we have had have been engaged and wonderful across the board. His class hasn't had discipline problems and really seem to be happy together. I was worried about the Spanish immersion before we started but it is amazing to watch how these kids pick it up so quickly. So, for us, it has been good.

We love Hawthorne ;-) My daughter is excelling wonderfully! She loves her teachers, we enjoy all of the school events and the Spanish emersion program is amazing. I am so amazed at how well she caught on! A second language is a gift and will be a very useful tool for my daughter in her life. I have another daughter who will start Hawthorne in a year as well!

The school is failing has been for 4 years. The staff are unhappy. There is one pta parent who is friends with the principle, its strange and she gets what she wants. The spanish emmersion is a joke.Kids have to learn another language when they are having trouble doing their work in their native language. Its a waste of time! After elementary most students will not use the spanish. Kids are rude to teachers even striking them. Kids cant learn with the many classroom distractions. This school needs change or it will fail again.

My son has attend school for three years here and has had an amazing experience. WE LOVE HAWTHORNE the staff is amazing and the teachers really care about each student.

We've had a wonderful experience at Hawthorne. We started the year the current principal came on board and have seen the parent involvement and overall school improve every year. Our children love their school and we've been lucky to have excellent teachers. While the school's scores were down this year, our child's class (4th graders this year) scored well above both state and district average. A very bright group of learners and I see the same in the upcoming classes. Since transitioning to a full immersion model for half their day this year I have noticed our children coming home and asking me questions in Spanish because they are now able to think in both languages. This is exactly what we wanted for them. The school is also putting together an immersion trip to Puerto Rico this spring break for interested families. Another way to enrich our children's lives in another language and culture. In my opinion, this school is only getting better.

Hawthorne is a GREAT school. The teachers really care about their students and push them to learn. The Spanish Dual Language program is unlike any other opportunity in the area. My daughter loves her teacher and is involved in several after school activities. There is a wonderful small school feel that many of the large schools in the district can't compete with.

I have had such a wonderful experience at Hawthorne. My second grader is excited to go to school, loves his teacher, and comes home speaking Spanish. I have received great feedback and communication from the teacher, she even uses a group text messaging service to remind all parents about special assignments, jeans day and other events. The Principal and Vice Principal are often in the halls or classrooms greeting students and talking with them. They respond to questions quickly and are very responsive to parents and students. There are so many ways to get involved, from PTA events to reading in the Library. And lots of parents are involved. It is a great community.

Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.