Posted June 26, 2014
My son's class has been amazing. Their teacher is so energetic and works hard to make sure they are getting what they need. I couldn't believe how many teachers were at the Spring Fiesta! The teachers we have had have been engaged and wonderful across the board. His class hasn't had discipline problems and really seem to be happy together. I was worried about the Spanish immersion before we started but it is amazing to watch how these kids pick it up so quickly. So, for us, it has been good.

Posted June 24, 2014
We love Hawthorne ;-) My daughter is excelling wonderfully! She loves her teachers, we enjoy all of the school events and the Spanish emersion program is amazing. I am so amazed at how well she caught on! A second language is a gift and will be a very useful tool for my daughter in her life. I have another daughter who will start Hawthorne in a year as well!

Hawthorne Elementary School 1

Posted May 10, 2014
The school is failing has been for 4 years. The staff are unhappy. There is one pta parent who is friends with the principle, its strange and she gets what she wants. The spanish emmersion is a joke.Kids have to learn another language when they are having trouble doing their work in their native language. Its a waste of time! After elementary most students will not use the spanish. Kids are rude to teachers even striking them. Kids cant learn with the many classroom distractions. This school needs change or it will fail again.

Posted May 09, 2014
My son has attend school for three years here and has had an amazing experience. WE LOVE HAWTHORNE the staff is amazing and the teachers really care about each student.

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted October 19, 2013
We've had a wonderful experience at Hawthorne. We started the year the current principal came on board and have seen the parent involvement and overall school improve every year. Our children love their school and we've been lucky to have excellent teachers. While the school's scores were down this year, our child's class (4th graders this year) scored well above both state and district average. A very bright group of learners and I see the same in the upcoming classes. Since transitioning to a full immersion model for half their day this year I have noticed our children coming home and asking me questions in Spanish because they are now able to think in both languages. This is exactly what we wanted for them. The school is also putting together an immersion trip to Puerto Rico this spring break for interested families. Another way to enrich our children's lives in another language and culture. In my opinion, this school is only getting better.

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted October 01, 2013
Hawthorne is a GREAT school. The teachers really care about their students and push them to learn. The Spanish Dual Language program is unlike any other opportunity in the area. My daughter loves her teacher and is involved in several after school activities. There is a wonderful small school feel that many of the large schools in the district can't compete with.

Posted September 26, 2013
I have had such a wonderful experience at Hawthorne. My second grader is excited to go to school, loves his teacher, and comes home speaking Spanish. I have received great feedback and communication from the teacher, she even uses a group text messaging service to remind all parents about special assignments, jeans day and other events. The Principal and Vice Principal are often in the halls or classrooms greeting students and talking with them. They respond to questions quickly and are very responsive to parents and students. There are so many ways to get involved, from PTA events to reading in the Library. And lots of parents are involved. It is a great community.

Hawthorne Elementary School 1

Posted September 25, 2013
I wouldn't send my worst enemies child to that school!! It's racist !! iF YOU'RE not white you won't feel welcomed at all!!

Hawthorne Elementary School 2

Posted August 14, 2013
So far the experience we've had has been less than desirable. The teachers are okay. The principal seems nice enough, but the administration and office staff have been a pain to deal with. The are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. The Guidance Counselor has never returned my calls and the few times I have reached her over the phone (after several attempts) the answers I've received have been totally useless and unacceptable. My child said on several occasions, children had to be physically removed from the classroom by adults. We're one year in to the JCPS system and we are moving out of the county, just as so many are doing. I don't blame the teachers. It's clear to see that they aren't receiving the needed support from their superiors. It's no wonder families are leaving JCPS in droves...

Posted November 15, 2012
Excellent school. My son graduated from Hawthorne and now goes to Brown Middle school. He is doing very good because he came very well prepared from Hawthorne. I have my daugther now in second grade and a couple of newphes and neices also going there. Great environment and excellent spanish inmersion program. You can't imagine what a great gift is to give you kids the opportunity to learn another language. It opens more opportunties.

Hawthorne Elementary School
2301 Clarendon Ave, Louisville, KY  40205
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.